Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Jupiter 23 November 2012 new
      #5536177 - 11/23/12 08:02 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

Hello,

We had very good seeing conditions last night and as Jupiter gained altitude the seeing got better and better.

My son and his family were in for Thanksgiving, so after the big feed we went down to the observatory. We looked at Luna for a while as Jupiter was rising and then turned the scope on the King. Seeing was so good that they could all see the GRS (which appeared as a moderately saturated salmon color) without any problem.

After they tired of Jupiter, I pointed out constellations and objects with my laser pointer and told the tales associated with them until they got cold and went back to the house.

I immediately put the scope back on Jupiter and was astonished by the seeing. I went to 391x (!) with no problem. Thia almost never happens here in Appalachia.

Naturally, all my sketching materials were up at the house. I was afraid to go get them, fearing that the unprecedented seeing would go away and I would be left to kick myself (repeatedly). So I made a quick field sketch on scrap paper to lock all the features down on paper and used that to make a finished sketch today after the company had gone home.

The finished drawing was done on Strathmore paper with 2B, HB, and 3H pencils. Gamma adjusted slightly and flipped digitally after scanning.

I am very thankful that my family came to visit and for the seeing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter 23 November 2012 new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5536271 - 11/23/12 09:08 PM

Michael, this one is one of my favorites. I love the "string of pearls" effect. And you captured that belt whipping under the GRS! I have yet to see it. Very well done.

Last night, the GRS was on the preceding limb, those two or three very bright condensations seemed to sparkle. They are small and bright at 170x, and almost seemed to "twinkle." Especially that distinct, third one you captured.

Yes, if you had left and returned to average seeing, I would have kicked you, too.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Jupiter 23 November 2012 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5536348 - 11/23/12 09:59 PM

Its amazing the things we miss. The belt under the GRS was fairly straightforward but the white ovals eluded me.

Michael this is a great piece. I had 7/10 last night and did the rough at the scope and the finished piece this morning at the dining room table. I didnt get the micro beads you are showing but several larger "pearls" that gave the impression of chambers.

Seems we all got decent seeing for Thanksgiving!!!

Again nice work Mike.

Pete

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Jupiter 23 November 2012 new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5536398 - 11/23/12 10:42 PM

Michael.

Oh wow, that is a very beautiful sketch. Very unusal details captured. Very nice sketch .

Andre.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Jupiter 23 November 2012 new [Re: Andrev]
      #5536473 - 11/23/12 11:49 PM

Michael,

That is about as good as it gets. A spectacular sketch. Did the seeing hold up longer into the night or did you close up before returning to the house?
You must have been really excited to see such a fine view.

Frank

JimPie
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/10/07

Loc: S.E.Michigan
Re: Jupiter 23 November 2012 new [Re: frank5817]
      #5536557 - 11/24/12 01:25 AM

So much is dependent on good fortune. I'm amazed at some of the details people have been recording on Jov lately. I hope I can get a decent night of good seeing soon.

Excellent sketch Micheal.

Heidescoper
sage

Reged: 11/21/10

Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany
Re: Jupiter 23 November 2012 new [Re: JimPie]
      #5536584 - 11/24/12 02:07 AM

hi Ed,

thanks for the sketch.
You saw the line of white pearls very detailed
behind the GRS .
The combination 14" and good seeing are great !

Bye Christian

Special Ed
Postmaster

Re: Jupiter 23 November 2012 new [Re: Heidescoper]
      #5536696 - 11/24/12 07:02 AM

Thanks, everyone. I was indeed fortunate with the seeing--sounds like it was good from New England clear down to at least the mid-Atlantic states. Pretty amazing, that.

One thing about magnification 130x higher than what I usually use on Jupiter--the contrast suffered--so I'm sure I missed other detail that was there. More ovals in the SSTB for instance. I know they are there from other sketches and images but I couldn't pick them up. Oh well.

Frank, I didn't stay out later because I had been up since 1:30 AM taking advantage of our clears skies and was running a major sleep deficit. I didn't want to be the zombie host to my company on Friday (even though zombies are fashionable these days).

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
      #5536792 - 11/24/12 08:33 AM

What a spectacular sketch, Michael! The white ovals in the SEB are breathtaking. That is something I have never seen at the eyepiece. Superb work. Pickering 8/10?!? 14" scope?!? I think I could practically hear you mumbling and smirking during your observation.

I have to say, comparing to my sketches from the same night, I find it satisfying to note your similarly placed festoons and "fuzzy" BA. Here's to another night of good seeing.

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Re: Jupiter 23 November 2012 new [Re: Chopin]
      #5537732 - 11/24/12 07:31 PM

Michael,

Excellent sketch of Jupiter. You depicted lots of details in the GRS region. You mentioned that Oval BA merged with the black spot on the limb. Did they actually merge or was it due to the location on the limb ? Great catch of that oval in the SPR. I haven't seen any ovals there yet. 391x and 326x are really up there on the magnification. I would love to see Jupiter at these mags.

Thanks for posting this beautiful sketch. Dean

Special Ed
Postmaster

Re: Jupiter 23 November 2012 new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #5539437 - 11/25/12 09:22 PM

Jason, Dean--thanks for the compliments. I was definitely astonished by the seeing--had no idea that would happen. Best to just go out and look, yes? (unless like tonight you can hear the wind blowing hard back on the mountain).

Dean, I should have said that the spot and Oval BA appeared to be merged on the preceding limb. I'm sure they weren't actually mixed together--just the geometry blending them to make the whole shebang look darker.

Uwe Pilz
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/08

Loc: Leipzig, Germany
      #5539680 - 11/26/12 12:33 AM

Dear Ed,

this is a fine and very detailed sketch! Thank you.

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5540411 - 11/26/12 02:24 PM

Michael,

Nice sketch of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Special Ed
Postmaster

Re: Jupiter 23 November 2012 [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5542901 - 11/27/12 09:48 PM

Uwe and Tom,

Thank you for the kind comments.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 809

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics