Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Artemio

Reged: 11/28/12

Loc: Texas, US
Dropped 4SE needs collimation (I guess)
      #5544189 - 11/28/12 04:38 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

Looking for advice:

Saddly, I dropped my 2.5 yrs old Nexstart 4SE , and even though nothing was broken (apparently), the images now are distorted (see attached pic). Collimation problems, I guess.

I'd read that, since the 4SE is a Mak telescope, it is not an easy task (if possible at all) to align the mirrors.

What would you advise me to do? should I try to fixe it myself? I only own this 4SE scope and never ever collimated anything before. Still doable?

I guess the cost of a professional fix would be more than the cost of getting a new 4SE? (I don't know how much it would cost, but I read in a fix company they would charges $80/hr.

Should I just get over it and sell the mount, recover something and buy a new one? Maybe that's the right thing to do, but I liked the 4SE and don't want to give up as easily.

Please, advice what do you think.

Thanks!
Art

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hamdul
sage

Reged: 06/23/09

Loc: Litchfield NH, USA
Re: Dropped 4SE needs collimation (I guess) new [Re: Artemio]
      #5544249 - 11/28/12 05:22 PM

Art,
It appears that you took the picture of the star in focus.
Look at the star out of focus and see which way the rings are distorted. I believe that Celestron has a video on UTube that shows how to collimate a Mak. It is not difficult. I'll look for the video and forward it to you when I find it.
Fred

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Dropped 4SE needs collimation (I guess) new [Re: hamdul]
      #5544375 - 11/28/12 06:42 PM

Hi Art,

Hoping Fred can find that Youtube video; but in the meantime, perhaps this link, (I think credited to our good CN friend and colleague, Hernando), might help ?

http://hyperionzoomlover.blogspot.com/2011/04/taking-apart-collimating-nexsta...

I assume you are familiar with collimation by star testing ?

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Dropped 4SE needs collimation (I guess) new [Re: Tel]
      #5544389 - 11/28/12 06:51 PM

By the way, my apologies, Art:

Having just noticed that the above was your first post, I forgot to welcome you warmly to CN and to this forum in particular !

Best regards,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #5544445 - 11/28/12 07:50 PM

That's a wild picture of Jupiter and the 4 moons. Sorry I'm of no help with your problem. Welcome to the forum .

James

Artemio

#5544619 - 11/28/12 09:49 PM

Quote:

Art,
It appears that you took the picture of the star in focus.
Look at the star out of focus and see which way the rings are distorted.

Fred, I just did it using a 9mm EP. It looks like a "stand up" oval, with a "fat tummy" in the right side. I didn't find a better way to describe it :-)

Quote:

I believe that Celestron has a video on UTube that shows how to collimate a Mak. It is not difficult. I'll look for the video and forward it to you when I find it.
Fred

Thanks! this is very reassuring!

Artemio

#5544626 - 11/28/12 09:53 PM

Quote:

Hi Art,

Hoping Fred can find that Youtube video; but in the meantime, perhaps this link, (I think credited to our good CN friend and colleague, Hernando), might help ?

http://hyperionzoomlover.blogspot.com/2011/04/taking-apart-collimating-nexsta...

Best regards,
Tel

Thanks! nice surgery ;-)

Artemio

#5544632 - 11/28/12 09:55 PM

Quote:

By the way, my apologies, Art:

Having just noticed that the above was your first post, I forgot to welcome you warmly to CN and to this forum in particular !

Best regards,
Tel

Thanks all you guys, quick and sharp answers are all what I needed to start feeling like there is a still a hope for my 4SE :-)

I am sure I will enjoy this forum!

Artemio

Re: Dropped 4SE needs collimation (I guess) new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5544641 - 11/28/12 09:57 PM

Quote:

That's a wild picture of Jupiter and the 4 moons. Sorry I'm of no help with your problem. Welcome to the forum .

James

hahaha ... yes, I know! it looks like a weird picture, with seagulls flying in a midnight sun , at the beach!

Artemio

#5544648 - 11/28/12 09:59 PM

Quote:

Hi Art,
[...] I assume you are familiar with collimation by star testing ?

Best regards,
Tel

Nope, but I am always ready to learn

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
      #5544672 - 11/28/12 10:11 PM

Quote:

Hi Art,

Best regards,
Tel

Tel, thanks for the mention!

Art, the 4SE is a very nice scope worth the trouble of fixing, I motored 250km up the mountains just to have it fixed/collimated by an astro buddy, good luck!

Best,

hamdul
sage

Re: Dropped 4SE needs collimation (I guess) new [Re: ibase]
      #5544772 - 11/28/12 11:01 PM

Art.
Sorry for the delay. Ilooked and found the video I was talking about, but it was not a Celestron one. Here is the address that should get you the data, http://www.youtube.com/user/AstronomyAndNatureTV

By the way I too want to welcome you to our group.and good luck with your collimation.
Fred
\P.S.
By the way for you Brits This is a British company that did the video

hamdul
sage

#5544783 - 11/28/12 11:08 PM

Art,
Whoops!!!!!! I just clicked on the address that I gave you and found that it does not go directly to the video. You will have to scroll down to get it and as I recall when you scroll down you will run out of items but there is a tab that says something like "Get More" click on that and continue to scroll down till you find the video "How to collimate a schmidt- Cass. It's Way down on the list.
Fred

Artemio

#5544784 - 11/28/12 11:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Art,

Best regards,
Tel

Art, the 4SE is a very nice scope worth the trouble of fixing, I motored 250km up the mountains just to have it fixed/collimated by an astro buddy, good luck!

Best,

Yes, I saw your post and the pictues of the major surgery!

So, as you are one of the few with first hand experience, would you say that it is doable? (I will have to drive more than 250Km, as I'm in Texas) :-)

Regards
Artemio

Artemio

#5544792 - 11/28/12 11:12 PM

Quote:

Art,
Whoops!!!!!! I just clicked on the address that I gave you and found that it does not go directly to the video. You will have to scroll down to get it and as I recall when you scroll down you will run out of items but there is a tab that says something like "Get More" click on that and continue to scroll down till you find the video "How to collimate a schmidt- Cass. It's Way down on the list.
Fred

I found it ... but, it is for a Schmidt-Cassengrain (SCT). Sadly, the 4SE is a maksutov-cassegrain (MCT). I just learning that one of the slight differences between a SCT and a MCT, is that the last is not easy to collimate ... so sad!

Thanks for your time and I really feel welcome!

Artemio

#5544822 - 11/28/12 11:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Art,

Best regards,
Tel

Best,

Hernando, looking with more detail up to the pictures you posted, it seems to me that it is possible to collimate the tube by "just" opening the back to get to the "three factory collimation screws", without disassembly the whole thing, am I right? If so, then maybe this task is not as daunting as it looked at the beginning!

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5544887 - 11/29/12 12:43 AM

Art, you don't have to travel half-way around the globe to get where I and my astro buddy's at because collimating the 4SE is really doable. And yes, as I've mentioned in this old Nexstar thread (click here), you may not have to go far in disassembling the scope to get to the factory collimation screws at the back (see diagram near the end of the old thread). As it will be the first time you'll be collimating a scope, it may take some trial & error to get there but it will surely be all worth it. And you've got nothing to lose really, I've almost given up on my 4SE before it got fixed. Good luck once again!

Best,

Artemio

#5545612 - 11/29/12 02:07 PM

Quote:

Art, you don't have to travel half-way around the globe to get where I and my astro buddy's at because collimating the 4SE is really doable. And yes, as I've mentioned in this old Nexstar thread (click here), you may not have to go far in disassembling the scope to get to the factory collimation screws at the back (see diagram near the end of the old thread). As it will be the first time you'll be collimating a scope, it may take some trial & error to get there but it will surely be all worth it. And you've got nothing to lose really, I've almost given up on my 4SE before it got fixed. Good luck once again!

Best,

Thanks Hernando. Surely I will do what you mention as soon as I can, hopefully this weekend.

I will try to document the process, in case anyone else has the same problem in the future.

Thanks all you guys, I will post back once I have news ;-)

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

#5545668 - 11/29/12 02:55 PM

Art, you're welcome, looking forward to your post/documentation, thanks!

Best,

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5548726 - 12/01/12 12:37 PM

Welcome here, PM sent to you.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1759

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics