Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1
Kildar13x

Reged: 07/06/11

Loc: Maine
Cruithne Observing?
      #5544551 - 11/28/12 09:05 PM

I just read an article in All About Space about the small planetoid or "quasi-satellite" as they put it. I was just wondering if anyone on here has ever viewed it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Cruithne Observing? new [Re: Kildar13x]
      #5544683 - 11/28/12 10:16 PM

Cruithne is extraudinarily small and quite faint with distances that can have it further away than the sun from Earth so it isn't going to show any extended angular shape through a telescope and its faintness though less removed than resolving its 5 kilometer (approximately) size is still extreme. You would probably find Vesta and Ceres the asteroids more within reach.

Pete

Tim2723
The Moon Guy

Reged: 02/19/04

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Re: Cruithne Observing? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5545333 - 11/29/12 11:07 AM

Although 3753 Cruithne approaches Earth in November, I think it would be far too small and dim for any common backyard scope visually. I believe it was discovered photographically using a one meter scope (?).

If you haven't done so, you might want to search and ask around in the NEO and Solar System Observing forums. There are a number of knowledgeable asteroid observers on the forum.

Kildar13x

Re: Cruithne Observing? new [Re: Tim2723]
      #5545619 - 11/29/12 02:13 PM

Thats kinda what I figured that it would be too small. Thanks guys

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5545911 - 11/29/12 05:57 PM

You-know-what though, you have decent sct... seriously give some asteroids a try. Some folks have seen a tawny color in Ceres.

There's no shortage of these particular objects tho Ceres is the Flagship for amateurs seemingly.

Pete

Tim2723
The Moon Guy

Reged: 02/19/04

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Re: Cruithne Observing? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5546371 - 11/29/12 10:26 PM

Yes, Ceres certainly and Vesta with good luck. S&T used to publish finder charts in, I believe, January of each year. I no longer subscribe so I'm not sure if they still do. But I'm sure you can find good charts on the Net.

Kildar13x

Re: Cruithne Observing? new [Re: Tim2723]
      #5547236 - 11/30/12 01:33 PM

I have always thought about looking for asteroids, but haven't given a try yet. I will give that a shot my next time out thanks for the advice.

Centaur
Vendor

Reged: 07/12/04

Loc: Chicago
      #5547938 - 11/30/12 09:54 PM

Well I guess it must be official that 3753 Cruithne is a satellite of Earth, if it’s being discussed in the Lunar Observing forum. Of course planetoid is an obsolete term that inappropriately employed the suffix “oid”. Cruithne is actually an asteroid or minor planet with an orbital period that averages one year in the long run. The Earth does appear to gravitationally keep it locked into that oscillating one year orbital period. During some eras it appears to loop around the Earth. But for centuries it can appear to oscillate opposite the Sun from the Earth, which makes it difficult to think of it as a satellite of Earth. I suppose the term quasi-satellite is worth consideration.

In this decade little Cruithne remains rather far from Earth and appears continuously outward from Earth’s morning side. It is currently at a distance of 0.616 AU and magnitude +17.0.

The brightest asteroids are 4 Vesta, 2 Pallas, 1 Ceres and 7 Iris. They are the only ones that ever get brighter than magnitude +7.0, unless we count rare NEO visitations. Coincidentally, both Vesta and Ceres will reach opposition and greatest brilliance for their current apparitions in December. Normally Vesta is noticeably brighter than Ceres, but during their upcoming oppositions Vesta will be near its aphelion and Ceres near its perihelion. Therefore Vesta will not appear much brighter than Ceres. For my asteroid apparition preview diagrams and graphs of the brightness of ten asteroids, visit my asteroid webpage at: www.CurtRenz.com/asteroids

Edited by Centaur (11/30/12 10:54 PM)

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Cruithne Observing? new [Re: Centaur]
      #5547970 - 11/30/12 10:18 PM

Curt it is interesting how technology identifys our periodic interlopers like that. Who would have guessed it ever? I do want to make a concerted effort on Ceres. If I could l nab a pinch of something that'd make it different than a star of similar magnitude.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (11/30/12 10:22 PM)

Centaur
Vendor

Reged: 07/12/04

Loc: Chicago
Re: Cruithne Observing? new [Re: Centaur]
      #5547973 - 11/30/12 10:19 PM

Here's a diagram I created to show the orbits of Earth and Cruithne, and the current relationships between the two objects.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 872

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics