7lx200gps

Reged: 09/11/08

Loc: Lewisberry, PA
Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013
      #5544852 - 11/29/12 12:04 AM

Cherry Springs Star Party 2013
2013 Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013
Presented by the Astronomical Society of Harrisburg

The Cherry Springs Star Party or CSSP will be held at Cherry Springs State Park near Coudersport, PA. Cherry Springs State Park is well known for nice dark skies and we hope you'll enjoy them with us at the Cherry Springs Star Party! The Registration Desk will open at approximately 12 PM on Thursday and will be open at various times throughou t the weekend. We hope to see YOU at the Star Party!

The Cherry Springs Star Party features speakers and vendors from around the country, on-site food vendor with 24/7 food services, and door prize raffles.

Availability for the star party is limited. The earlier you register, the better. Towards the star party, registration fills up quickly. Please complete registration if you plan to attend. Registration forms can be found on our website, or the Facebook page. You can also pay PayPal if you wish. Registration will open sometime in late February or early March.

Getting to Cherry Springs:
Cherry Springs State Park is located on PA 44 in Potter County.

GPS Coordinates:

If you are using a GPS, the GPS coordinates for the Cherry Springs Observing Field are as follows (Coordinate and elevation information retrieved from the United States Geological Survey):
41°39’ 46” N, 77° 49’ 23” W (41.662778 N, 77.823056 W)
Elevation is 2300 feet or 701 meters

For more information regarding registration, food vendors, door prizes and weather, please visit http://astrohbg.org/CSSP/Information.html

Cherry Springs Star Party also has a Facebook page for up-to-date material regarding the star party. You do not need a facebook account to access all the information on the CSSP Facebook page. This page will be updated faster for weather and any news regarding the star party.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cherry-Springs-Star-Party-2013/295858413801517

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: 7lx200gps]
      #5551967 - 12/03/12 12:36 PM

I hope to be there.....

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: George N]
      #5553977 - 12/04/12 01:20 PM

Forcast is for cloudy and rain...

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: bierbelly]
      #5554087 - 12/04/12 02:24 PM

That was my experience at CSSP the year they had me up as a speaker...but...had a great time anyway!

fuzzystuff4ever

Reged: 11/26/12

Loc: Micco, FL
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: rmollise]
      #5554154 - 12/04/12 03:13 PM

Went in 2010; weather was OK but it wasn't quite as dark as I was expecting; had a great time. Say hello to the flies for me....

Brian

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: fuzzystuff4ever]
      #5554352 - 12/04/12 05:50 PM

The weather was great for this year's star party and flies were not a problem. The dark skies of Cherry Springs have been degraded in recent years due to light from gas drilling in Potter and neighboring counties. Drilling has been put on hiatus in Potter County due to the drop in the price of natural gas and the skies have improved a bit as a result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBpP3uxJ3OY&list=UUVfWtdlxmG4Wev9DZsM1SoQ&... (see the SQM reading graph at 2:39)

Dave Mitsky

bierbelly
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/04

Loc: Sterling, VA
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5555877 - 12/05/12 03:40 PM

Quote:

The weather was great for this year's star party and flies were not a problem. The dark skies of Cherry Springs have been degraded in recent years due to light from gas drilling in Potter and neighboring counties. Drilling has been put on hiatus in Potter County due to the drop in the price of natural gas and the skies have improved a bit as a result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBpP3uxJ3OY&list=UUVfWtdlxmG4Wev9DZsM1SoQ&... (see the SQM reading graph at 2:39)

Dave Mitsky

Dang! That fast. You'd think that dark skies would be worth more than thousands of cubic feet of natural gas.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5565769 - 12/11/12 11:31 AM

Flies (last year anyway): Mostly gone now that the Gypsy Moth infestation is over. The squawky Blue Herons are still there.

Sky darkness: Has always been variable. High haze seems to reflect more light. If the daytime sky is milky, you can bet on a brighter night. I’ve seen SQM readings from 21.30 to 21.65 in recent years, sometimes on the same weekend. While it might not be as dark as it once was, Cherry Springs is still a great spot for observing, and the club that runs this star party does a great job.

Springtime weather: Hey, it’s the Northeast!! Expect anything from blizzards to tornados, and maybe a clear night or two, or more….

CSSP: I went a day early last year and had 3 good nights, plus one pretty icky one (Saturday – some folks left, but it did improve around midnight). The year before the weather was so bad I didn’t even bother to go, while watching hail hit my truck at home.

June??? I liked this star party better when it was in May. I’d rather have cold weather than shorter nights and less time to view the Virgo galaxies. Last year I also spent 4 nights in May and had better observing (and maybe a 100 people on the field), but of course no star party activities or vendors. I also had to borrow someone’s lawn mower to cut a patch out of the 6+ inch deep grass to set up my scopes.

The best part about Cherry Springs is that the site is perfectly set up for astronomy: large flat field, hardened roads, AC power, water, toilets, safe, and no white lights. The old airfield across the road would be even better for viewing, but lacks any of the amenities. I just wish that there were closer restaurants and small stores. My cell phone will not work there, but the phone built into my Chevy truck works fine.

kreegan99

Reged: 05/20/09

Loc: Endwell, NY
      #5606906 - 01/05/13 04:16 PM

Quote:

George - if you don't go, will your 20" Obsession be going? Please? I plan on going, and plan on being parked right next to you again! Man really excited to get back to Cherry Springs again - what a beautiful place!

Maybe it will be as good as last year!

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: kreegan99]
      #5615374 - 01/10/13 11:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

George - if you don't go, will your 20" Obsession be going? Please? I plan on going, and plan on being parked right next to you again! Man really excited to get back to Cherry Springs again - what a beautiful place!

Maybe it will be as good as last year!

I plan on setting up next to the 30 inch scopes….. so that everyone lines up over there and leaves me and my little 20 alone!

Here’s to 2013 being as good as 2012. We certainly had a large club attendance, (plus the same at Stellafane).

I’m also hoping for a long dark weekend in April or May again this year. It was actually better observing at the 4 nights I spent at Cherry Springs in May last year than at the CSSP…. and that was pretty good.

AutoPilot

Reged: 12/14/12

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: George N]
      #5621925 - 01/13/13 11:41 PM

Are there any hotels within driving distance that would be recommended? I'd like to attend a star party or two before I invest in camping gear.

Thanks, Mike

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: AutoPilot]
      #5622109 - 01/14/13 04:49 AM

The Mill Stream Inn in Coudersport is probably the best motel in the area.

Dave Mitsky

AutoPilot

Reged: 12/14/12

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
      #5627036 - 01/16/13 09:18 PM

Quote:

The Mill Stream Inn in Coudersport is probably the best motel in the area.

Dave Mitsky

Thanks for the suggestion. I was waiting for others to chime in, but appears this may be the best choice.

Mike

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: AutoPilot]
      #5627312 - 01/17/13 12:50 AM

You're welcome. Other motels in the area are listed at http://www.bfsp.org/starparty/accommodations.cfm

Dave Mitsky

ischua
Under the Radar

Reged: 07/17/08

Loc: Below Snow Plop, N Y
      #5633489 - 01/20/13 04:13 PM

Mail-in registration is now open

Brett Carlson
sage

Reged: 12/12/11

Loc: Rochester, NY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: ischua]
      #5635010 - 01/21/13 01:48 PM

I just sent out my registration! I'm excited as this will be my first large star party! I hope to get good use out of my freshly re-figured 16" Starfinder!

Any advice for a first time attendee?

ischua
Under the Radar

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: Brett Carlson]
      #5635445 - 01/21/13 05:51 PM

No laser pointers
Stay out of your car after dark unless you know how to turn all lights off before hand or you WILL get yelled at.
Tent camping? Eating in/out? Can be cold wet hot bugs or bears. I'm south of Buffalo so look us up.

Brett Carlson
sage

Reged: 12/12/11

Loc: Rochester, NY
      #5636397 - 01/22/13 08:42 AM

I'll be tent camping....I'll bring some food with me but I'm sure I'll get bored with that quickly enough.

I already got the info about no laser pointers but thanks for reminding me.

I live in Rochester, NY but I grew up in Warsaw NY...I used to shuffle over to Buffalo fairly often. I haven't been there in a while except for a couple Bills Games.

Funny Story...I brought my Bino's to a Bills game. The only pair I have are 20x80's so it was way over-kill for football but provided some great views. The funny part was the reaction of people who have never seen bino's that big before. Quote of the day was from a gut sitting behind me. I let him borrow them for a few plays and he remarked..."man...you can see into the future with these things!". I laughed my *BLEEP* off!

evrimi

Reged: 06/16/05

#5643591 - 01/25/13 11:44 PM

All my attempts to reach the club or event web site are a dead end, where else is the registration form available?

ischua
Under the Radar

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: evrimi]
      #5645208 - 01/26/13 10:19 PM

Quote:

All my attempts to reach the club or event web site are a dead end, where else is the registration form available?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cherry-Springs-Star-Party-2013/295858413801517

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7863

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics