Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: George N]
      #5919478 - 06/13/13 08:17 PM

How did you take the last picture?
The picture before that was interesting where the jet plane cut through the clouds. No one at our site noticed it until I pointed it out.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: star drop]
      #5920456 - 06/14/13 12:01 PM

Quote:

How did you take the last picture?
The picture before that was interesting where the jet plane cut through the clouds. No one at our site noticed it until I pointed it out.

Ted,

I had my JumboTron auto imaging system take that last one!

There were several of what I called "anti-contrails" where the plane cleared a path thru existing cloud! ....never saw that before.

As you pointed out before, there were lots of contrails at times that grew into a general cloud cover. It's a part of the "modern world" I guess. However, you can always figure on a good transparent night if the contrails disappear shortly behind the plane.

zeldaboy101
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/13/04

Loc: Maryland
Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: djpontone]
      #5920804 - 06/14/13 03:39 PM

Quote:

Spent monday and tuesday night left wed morning i wish they had one star party a year in the fall. first 15 pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/62042743@N07/

It's called the Black Forest Star Party. Happens on the exact same observing field, but registration is by check only and always fills up weeks to months in advance. The most reliable star party I attend. Register asap.
http://bfsp.org/

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: zeldaboy101]
      #5921505 - 06/14/13 11:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Spent monday and tuesday night left wed morning i wish they had one star party a year in the fall. first 15 pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/62042743@N07/

It's called the Black Forest Star Party. Happens on the exact same observing field, but registration is by check only and always fills up weeks to months in advance. The most reliable star party I attend. Register asap.
http://bfsp.org/

I’m not sure that all of the griping about the weather at this year’s CSSP is justified. Of the three “official” nights of the star party, two were cloudy/rainy, and one was clear for most of the night. If you add in the 3 nights before the star party, two were clear, and one had at least some observing. That’s a better than 50% percent clear night experience, with some periods of very good seeing and several good days of solar to boot. That was about the same percentage of clear nights as they had this year at the Texas Star Party.

I’ve only been to Black Forest one time, when it was in August (and Stellafane was in July), because I spend the month of September living in the Adirondacks (just as dark and my scopes are just outside the camp ready to go). I came away from that BFSP experience thinking that the CSSP guys do a better job of running a star party.

I also spend about 3 to 8 additional nights per year at Cherry Springs and in some ways prefer the lower on-field scope density of early spring or late fall. I am disappointed that I missed the 6 clear dark-window nights in May this year, but I decided to stay home to observe.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5925938 - 06/17/13 04:49 PM

Friday June 7 was one of the rainy days at the Cherry Springs Star Party 2013 in PA. This Flickr set ( Flickr photo set ) of 4 pictures gives an idea of what was going on. Monday, Tuesday and Saturday nights were clear.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5928388 - 06/18/13 10:51 PM

One more set of images from Saturday showing my friends, the members of the Kopernik Astro Society, setting up for a clear and dark night: Flickr set of 22 photos

Unlike prior years, I did not take any photos while walking around on the observing field or other areas at Cherry Springs.

Despite the clouds in this photos, it cleared soon after dark and was a great night until the fog came up around 3:30 AM.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #5929421 - 06/19/13 02:36 PM

Quote:

I’m not sure that all of the griping about the weather at this year’s CSSP is justified. Of the three “official” nights of the star party, two were cloudy/rainy, and one was clear for most of the night. If you add in the 3 nights before the star party, two were clear, and one had at least some observing. That’s a better than 50% percent clear night experience, with some periods of very good seeing and several good days of solar to boot. That was about the same percentage of clear nights as they had this year at the Texas Star Party.

Regarding this year's Texas Star Party, Monday, Tuesday, and Friday nights were clear. Sunday night was clear for the first half of the night. Thursday night was partly cloudy, in the form of a couple of relatively long-lasting clearings. It was cloudy on Wednesday and Saturday nights.

Dave Mitsky

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Cherry Springs Star Party : June 6th - 9th, 2013 new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5938795 - 06/24/13 10:04 PM

Wide-field view of Coma Berenices & Canes Venatici ( Flickr image )

Taken with Canon DSLR and 26mm lens, 6 minutes of total exposure, with camera riding on a tracking mount. Taken at Cherry Springs State Park, PA on a very poor night (June 5, 2013)….. still dark, but high cloud lowered transparency. It was so poor that I did not even bother to take my telescopes out, and it clouded up completely shortly after I took this.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5985081 - 07/22/13 08:42 PM

Bob Naeye, editor of Sky & Telescope Magazine, has a great Editorial in the September issue (just got the electronic version): "A Star Party Dear to my Heart" ~ all about the Cherry Springs Star Party! If you don't subscribe, it's worth the news stand price to read this one, at least if you have ever been to CSSP!

I've spent a few cloudy and clear evenings at CSSP with Bob. He's not only a great speaker, he's a great observing companion.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #5993363 - 07/27/13 05:52 PM

It was a fine editorial. Bob, a long-time ASH member, gave an excellent talk on exoplanets at the July ASH meeting.

Dave Mitsky

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  darklighteditor, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7885

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics