Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Eor312

Reged: 01/20/12

Loc: La Vergne, TN
High Resolution Full Moon 2012-11-28
      #5545815 - 11/29/12 04:34 PM

Ever since learning the process last fall to do a composite or mosaic image of the moon, using segments taken in Planetary Mode 5x zoom, I've wanted to eventually get a really nice full moon at high resolution. Some months the weather didn't cooperate. Some months schedule didn't cooperate, and I couldn't image for one reason or another. One month I had equipment problems.

Once, in April, my schedule, equipment, and the weather ALL cooperated...and I screwed up my "mapping" and left gaps between some segments. **AUGH**

Last night everything finally came together. I had time, everything worked, and the weather was pretty darn nice.

So...

• Celestron C6-SGT, HyperTuned CG5 Mount, EOS1100D Unmoddified
  • 54 x 1000 frame BYE planetary mode AVIs, 5x Zoom
  • Ran the AVIs through VDub, batch processed them through RegiStax 6 applying Wavelet sharpening, histogram stretch,
  • Brightness/Contrast, and drizzled at 2x
  • Batched through IrfanView to crop 5px off each edge
  • Stitched in Microsoft ICE
  • Levels, Gamma, Saturation, Rotation, Cropping, Fill in PSP9

3000 x 3000 "small" version at http://imgur.com/bwv2A

Full Resolution 6000 x 6000 version at : http://www.astrobin.com/26142/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: High Resolution Full Moon 2012-11-28 new [Re: Eor312]
      #5545930 - 11/29/12 06:08 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

That is an OUTSTANDING lunar pic!
There is a tremendous amount of detail in there, but it doesn't stand out very well because there is very little dynamic range, it's kind of washed out, too bright. (in my humble opinion)
Hope you don't mind but I tweaked your image.
Decrease Gamma
Increase saturation (a bunch)
Sharp mid range detail
Sharp small detail
Boost contrast

mwt

Reged: 02/15/12

Loc: W. Mass
Re: High Resolution Full Moon 2012-11-28 new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5546033 - 11/29/12 07:02 PM

Great job on both the original and tweaked pics. Isn't amazing how far the rays from Tyco extend?

Eor312

#5546147 - 11/29/12 07:55 PM

Quote:

That is an OUTSTANDING lunar pic!

Thanks

Quote:

There is a tremendous amount of detail in there, but it doesn't stand out very well because there is very little dynamic range, it's kind of washed out, too bright. (in my humble opinion)
Hope you don't mind but I tweaked your image.
Decrease Gamma
Increase saturation (a bunch)
Sharp mid range detail
Sharp small detail
Boost contrast

I don't mind. Farther than I PERSONALLY would have gone, but again, as you say...it's all subjective.

I was, in fact, working on a different "look" to it myself...I think, honestly, I'll find happiness somewhere in between my original and your "tweak".

Here's where I am so far:

Full Res Here

Not quite there yet, but closer I think. Part of what I'm running into, of course, is that with an image this large, there's a LOT of processing that looks pretty spectacular at, say, 800x800 by reveals a BUNCH of garbage at 6000x6000.

I suppose I could have waited until I had my own personal "final version" before I posted...but then we'd miss all this discussion!

In any event, I appreciate the kind words and the insight on processing.

This project was a LOT more difficult to bring to fruition than I'd expected. Technically, it wasn't that demanding, but I just didn't realize how many things needed to 'go just right" to make it happen...so I'm really pleased that it's found an appreciative audience.

Quote:

Great job on both the original and tweaked pics. Isn't amazing how far the rays from Tyco extend?

Thanks.

I too am always amazed at that...I wonder just how MASSIVE that impact must have been!

Speaking of Tyco, I've done up a quick annotated version of the large first image as we, if anyone's interested.

Eor312

#5546324 - 11/29/12 09:51 PM

Man, something incredibly cool just occurred to me...

While showing a friend some features of BYE last night, I took a 1000 frame AVI of Jupiter, at the same resolution as the lunar "tiles". It's time stamped as well...

So...I ought to be able to process that out, size it appropriately, and using a bit of math and checking with Stellarium, make a reasonably accurate "fictional" composite of last night's conjunction!

*Off to work go I*

Eor312

#5546412 - 11/29/12 11:00 PM

Full Disclosure :

This is a COMPOSITE image. Ganymede and Io were present in the original Jupiter image, created from a 1000 frame AVI taken at 17:30:10 CST on 2012-11-28. Callisto and Europa were added artificially (They are copies of Io) and then the full image added separately to the original lunar composite. The Jupiter AVI was shot and processed at the same resolution as the lunar "tiles".

The position of Jupiter, Callisto, and Europa are a good faith estimate based on information from Stellarium and Sky & Telescope's Jupiter's Moons Javascript Utility. I did NOT measure or calculate based on pixels/degree, rather simply used reference points (a particular distance in pixels from one point to another) and comparisons to make the estimate. If anyone would like to do a more exact estimate/calculation, I'll gladly make the full resolution images available.

Here's the low res (640 x 800) result...it doesn't really do it justice.

Higher Res (1500 x 1875) version here.

Highest (6000 x 7500 PNG) Resolution version here.

Freddy WILLEMS
Postmaster

Reged: 11/13/05

Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu
      #5546499 - 11/30/12 12:15 AM

Unbelievable high Res image !!!

Brian Albin
Seeker

Reged: 08/22/06

Loc: Western Oregon
Re: High Resolution Full Moon 2012-11-28 new [Re: Freddy WILLEMS]
      #5546609 - 11/30/12 02:41 AM

There is a great amount of mineral stain colour on the moon. I suppose the red is Iron. I wonder what the blue is, or the green.

Eor312

Re: High Resolution Full Moon 2012-11-28 new [Re: Freddy WILLEMS]
      #5546730 - 11/30/12 07:26 AM

Quote:

Unbelievable high Res image !!!

Thanks!

Quote:

There is a great amount of mineral stain colour on the moon. I suppose the red is Iron. I wonder what the blue is, or the green.

Good question. I've wondered before myself, but of course searching for any information about a blue color on the moon just returns a bazillion results about a "blue moon"

My best guess...and it's only that, a guess..is that it's simply a trick of the way the light is reflected off of darker surfaces, in much the same way that shiny black surfaces here...such as black hair or a black car...sometimes appear blue.

shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
      #5546793 - 11/30/12 08:38 AM

From Nasa:
Quote:

Colors on the Moon are dominantly controlled by variations in iron and titanium content. The mare regions have low reflectance because they contain relatively high amounts of iron oxide (FeO). Some mare basalts contain unusually high amounts of titanium oxide (TiO2) in addition to iron oxide, making for even lower reflectance. TiO2 also shifts the color of the mare from red to blue.

Eor312

#5547362 - 11/30/12 03:02 PM

Good stuff, Shawn...thanks!

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1147

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics