Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/26/06

Loc: Enfield, NS Canada
cgem + hibernation = imaging next night? new
      #5544149 - 11/28/12 04:06 PM

I am getting my first observatory. A skyshed pod xl3 and I am wondering if I hibernate the mount will I only need to do a drift alignment? Or do I have to do a polar alignment again?

When I switch the power off can I disconnect power to the mount as I will be using a 100' extension chord until spring when the ground thaws.

Thanks,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MHamburg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/21/06

Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA
Re: cgem + hibernation = imaging next night? new [Re: Magellan]
      #5544206 - 11/28/12 04:48 PM

If your CGEM is permanently mounted on a pier or a tripod and has been polar aligned to your satisfaction, then it should retain its alignment regardless of powered or not as long as it has not been moved in alt or az. If your battery is good and you select hibernate, all your settings should remain. However, I have experienced a loss of my settings sometimes I believe due to a failing battery.
Michael

drksky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/09

Loc: Bloomington, IL
Re: cgem + hibernation = imaging next night? new [Re: MHamburg]
      #5545447 - 11/29/12 12:21 PM

With the CGEM, the home position is set manually by aligning the marks. Your model will be valid from night to night as long as you don't move the RA or DEC axes. As long as those axes stay locked, upon a subsequent startup, you can just verify the date and time and use a "Last Alignment".

Once polar aligned, it will stay that way unless the Alt-Az axes are moved. Further drift alignment would be unnecessary unless you want to refine the alignment.

Edited by drksky (11/29/12 12:23 PM)

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/26/06

Loc: Enfield, NS Canada
Re: cgem + hibernation = imaging next night? new [Re: drksky]
      #5545971 - 11/29/12 06:25 PM

So you dont need to have any power to the mount? having a hard grasping that lol

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: cgem + hibernation = imaging next night? new [Re: Magellan]
      #5546078 - 11/29/12 07:19 PM

it has a battery inside the mount.. A little 2025 watch battery.. Just like a computer doesn't lose time when you turn it off because a PC has a battery in it too..

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: cgem + hibernation = imaging next night? [Re: Magellan]
      #5546079 - 11/29/12 07:19 PM

When you hybernate the mount, it slews and stops at known positions that are known by the hand controller (HC) as being static at that point. The HC is then powered off. When it's powered on again later, it's able to reestablish the mount's position relative to the current sky because it knows what date it is, what time it is, the latitude and longitude where it's located, and the static position of the mount's axes. With all that, it can pick up where it left off the previous night.

Edited by mayidunk (11/29/12 07:22 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
26 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 483

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics