Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
Celestron Los D dovetail compatibility question new
      #5410302 - 09/08/12 03:36 PM

Hello all, I have been wanting to get together the SSAG package from orion, but no matter how I try to save I just can't surpass life expenses, so I am trying to put it together piece by piece every paycheck.

I was wanting to purchase the celestron losmandy d type bar to mount the guidescope on.

http://www.astronomics.com/celestron-dovetail-plate-8-inch-optical-tube-losmandy-mount_p7022.aspx

It is reasonable and I like the orange color. I have heard there might be some compatibility issues and was wondering if anyone can vouch if it will fit on the ota in the following position:

The product page says it will fit a standard c8, and since the rear cells seem to be identical on the newer models I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before I buy it. Going to use astrotech los d adapters for the rings.

thanks in advance,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Celestron Los D dovetail compatibility question new [Re: ourobouros2k2]
      #5411356 - 09/09/12 09:21 AM

Hi Andrew:

The Losmandy size dovetail rail is a large rail designed for attaching heavy scopes to a mount. It's way too large for an autoguider and I don't think it would fit those mounting holes anyway.

You don't mention which SSAG package you are interested in. The magnificent mini autoguider package fits into a finder shoe so that's all you'd have to buy if that's what you have.

The awesome autoguider package includes a ShortTube 80 telescope which needs a more substantial mount. But it comes with a "guidescope mounting bar" which you may be able to use.

I guess we need more details on exactly what you're going to be mounting on the scope.

-Dan

ourobouros2k2
sage

Re: Celestron Los D dovetail compatibility question new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5411731 - 09/09/12 02:19 PM

I had planned on using the ST-80, but am not a fan of how far the rail provided in the package overhangs on the 8SE tube. Just trying to find a single rail solution that won't require spaces, radius blocks, etc..

thanks,

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#5414723 - 09/11/12 07:47 AM

Hi Andrew:

Not sure what you mean by the rail overhanging the 8SE tube. Is it longer than the 8SE? I can't find a spec on their site that says how long it is. In any case, most of the time when mounting a setup like this, there will be some drilling or cutting involved. If it's too long, simply cut the end off with a hacksaw, file it smooth, and paint it black.

You can get a guidescope mounting kit from ADM that will perfectly fit the scope, but you'll pay big bucks for it:
http://www.admaccessories.com/MDS_guidescope_kit.htm

-Dan

ourobouros2k2
sage

#5415034 - 09/11/12 11:39 AM

yeah, the stock dovetail in the ASSAG package overhangs the 8SE OTA by several inches it looks like, judging from some of the photos in other threads in this forum. I may end up just getting some radius blocks from ADM and be done with it. I noticed the awesome autoguider package is on sale right now at 350.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #5418232 - 09/12/12 10:16 PM

Andrew
I hope you noticed they have the 80 mm refractor package for the same price as the finder package.

James

ourobouros2k2
sage

Re: Celestron Los D dovetail compatibility question new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5418325 - 09/12/12 11:08 PM

I did notice

ourobouros2k2
sage

#5424009 - 09/16/12 04:06 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Well, the SSAG is on the way, and wanting to prep my scope for it's arrival, I went ahead and got the celestron bar. I also picked up 2 astrotech los-D adaptors (astronomics is about a 30 minute drive). I put it all together and I am very, very pleased at the finish of the result. I know it is a bit of overkill, but hopefully will eliminate *some* flexure. Downside? 2.3 pounds.

Charles_Galdies

Reged: 06/24/11

#5546685 - 11/30/12 05:50 AM

Hi, thanks for posting the pic of your setup.
I would like to know if you had to remove the original vixen plate to accommodate the new dovetail, or if you to drill new holes in the 8SE OTA.

Thanks
Charles

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: Celestron Los D dovetail compatibility question [Re: Charles_Galdies]
      #5546721 - 11/30/12 07:13 AM

Yikes! You could mount a Volkswagen on that thing! Yeah, I'd say you've eliminated flex.

-Dan

ourobouros2k2
sage

#5547907 - 11/30/12 09:24 PM

Works pretty well, but makes balancing a chore on the Sirius EQ-G. At max load for ap, prompting me to save for the atlas.

In answer to your question Charles, I did not have to remove the vixen bar, this is a direct bolt-on for the rail holes on the opposite side of the vixen bar. No drilling or modification needed.

thanks,

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1219

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics