Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: broke my new Fujinons; where to repair? new [Re: bhuloka]
      #5566523 - 12/11/12 08:09 PM

I can process those myself, if/when I get motivated. They have not been a priority. Would mentioning you as a reference pave my way?
Or, should I go there in disguise, or via a second party, if I decide to not fix them myself? I have not seen BO for at least 25 years,and then only very briefly, and never AO.

I have seen the initials "B.O."," A.O.", maybe "R.L.O." or "S.D", and definitely "D.B", scratched on the inside of prism housing coverplates on Fuji 25 x 150 Models I and II, Nikon 20 x 120 I and II, Nikko 15 x 120 , Fuji 15 x 80 and probably others, which later came my way .

They stamped "B.M.I" on one of my slotted shaft housings for headrest assemblies for the Fuji 25 x 150. I recovered it from a damaged specimen, and still have it. The letters are quite deep, and penetrated the hard anodizing ( low temp., high current). Their copies of it were welded. Mine were/are 2-piece, screwed. My headrests were made in a mold which I made to copy the headrest of the WW II Carl Zeiss Jena 25 x 100 with 60 deg inclination of the sight line. They are more comfortable than the well-known cushions of the 10 x 80, 45 deg. inclined Flaks of Busch design or the copy/nearcopy made for the US Navy 20 x 120. A cushion is most useful for an inclined view binocular. Use on a straight view can lead to neck fatigue, unless the forward pressing neck muscles become strengthened.

RLO and probably Ken Baker ( a high school acquaintance of my father, RIP) are RIP. OM Chief Petty Officer SD served in WW II. He was one of a partnership triumvirate until perhaps 1990(?). Actuarial considerations imply that he is retired. That shop gets grandfathered-in giveaway rent from the Port District, being one of the first, if not the first, tenants on Shelter Island. They have survived several rumblings which proposed their replacement by something more tourist oriented or scenic. But they were saved by well- connected/well heeled yacht owners too lazy to swing their own compasses. Compass correction cards are easy to make using GPS. See a recent version of Chapman, at any boating store. Sextants, and, to a large degree, compasses have been obsoleted by GPS.

"D.B." , who now runs Mountain Optics,in Montana, and reputedly gets Coast Guard work on the 15 x 80, used too much RTV silicone rubber. Cleanup of his RTV significantly slowed rework by me when a specimen might come my way after two or three , or more, years. I prefer Presstite non-curing polysulfide, extruded into spaghetti or linguine via custom tips on an extrusion press. 3M had a similar product used on previous generations of US military armored vehicle sights. D.B. left for reasons unknown. Divorce(?) meant exclusion from the "family"? To make room for A.O. ? I have not seen D.B since a Las Vegas Shot Show 15-20 years ago. He was in Mike Rivkin's "Deutsche Optik" booth.

I have considered completely stripping the rubber from the several -R 7 x 50, thus lightening them for astro use. Insulating gloves, with sport ball gripping fingers, provide more than adequate grip, while warming the digits.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2522

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics