Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
DarkDisplay
sage

Reged: 12/21/10

Loc: Texas
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5546454 - 11/29/12 11:33 PM

Good for you. Now, do whatever it takes to enjoy observing all the time in peace and quiet.

I've trained many a neighborhood dog to stop barking when the owners were too lazy or unconcerned to do it.

Best wishes,
Frank

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Kfrank]
      #5546729 - 11/30/12 07:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The dogs are starved for attention and affection.Dogs are social animals and a dog by itself is very lonely .

Chances are the barking dog really is saying "wanna play,wanna play!"

Since the owners don't give the dogs attention the dogs bark.

Roll up a newspaper and go whack the......OWNERS until they behave better!

Folks, let's not forget that the owner of the dog in question here is an elderly woman in her 80's who recently lost her husband and whose daughter got her the dog for companionship. Personally, I'd say the poor woman has enough problems - this dog may be a major factor in keeping her happy and comforted.

The dog may be annoying to the OP but it also may be a lifeline to the new widow. A little compassion here could go a long way.

The newspaper comment was meant to be a little humor.Sorry if no one here has any.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5546832 - 11/30/12 09:10 AM

"The dog may be annoying to the OP but it also may be a lifeline to the new widow."\

...and it might be outside because it drives her nuts inside....she might just hate the barking bugger too....I'd suggest to the daughter that she take the dog, have the dog trained not to bark, or that you will call the authorities. Put the problem back where it lies.....

Also, I'd talk to the lady next door, you might find out she doesn't want the dog either....THEN I'd definitely talk with the daughter.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5546909 - 11/30/12 10:17 AM

It also could be that the dog WANTS to go outside, so the lady complies. I've had dogs all my life, and they love being outside, and will bug me until I let them out. I have a yellow lab now, and she absolutely loves being out, when the weather is nice.
I'm in about the same situation as the lady in question, older, widowed; and yes, my dog is my lifeline, in fact; my whole life!

Quote:

Also, I'd talk to the lady next door, you might find out she doesn't want the dog either....THEN I'd definitely talk with the daughter.

This is getting very intrusive; if she doesn't "want" the dog, that's between her & the daughter, not neighbors.

It would be nice to suggest to the daughter about training for the dog, to help with the barking, other than that, it's really not a neighbor's place to discuss personal feelings the lady may/may not have about the dog. My feeling is that she no doubt absolutely loves it, and it gives her much needed company and security.

I have the opposite problem, when I go to observe, my sweetie howls! I have to close all the blinds and leave the tv on, so she doesn't howl the entire time!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5546957 - 11/30/12 10:41 AM

Sorry Carol, if your barking dog is interfering with the peace of the neighborhood, including yours, it IS your business. I'm certain my neighbor would rather me be the first to bring up the suject of their barking dog then the police at their front door....

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog [Re: csrlice12]
      #5546968 - 11/30/12 10:52 AM

I didn't say the barking dog was not the neighbor's business; rather talking to her as to whether she "wants" the dog or not, is not anyone else's business but hers and her daughter's.

Obviously, the OP has talked with her, to no avail (according to him); so other than talking with the daughter about training, then involving the authorities is the only alternative to get peace for the neighbors. Another consideration is that she may have a hearing problem, unless the OP is very explicite with her, as to how much the barking is disturbing him, she may not fully realize how much of a problem it really is. Regardless, age is not a factor when involving a disturbance of the peace, when discussion has not ended the problem.

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
      #5547225 - 11/30/12 01:27 PM

I live in a large lot subdivison, 5-7 acres each. Only problem I have, besides with my wife's 3 shelties, is when I close up my observatory roof at 3-4 am. Although it is not loud, it does set off many of the neighbors dogs, but at least it may scare the skunks off.

We had new people move in across from us a couple years ago with large barking dogs. They have an electric invisible fence but it was still unnerving when they would charge each time I got my mail. I always talked to them, whistled, or something, and after a few months they just started to ignore me completely. Now I try and annoy them for the fun of it

Edited by DeanS (11/30/12 01:58 PM)

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: DeanS]
      #5547430 - 11/30/12 03:47 PM

When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who had 3 big mutt dogs that loved to bark at night. My dad "trained" those dogs to keep quiet. After some training, they'd hear our back door handle turn and run away and give us some hours of quiet.

panhardModerator
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
      #5547526 - 11/30/12 04:58 PM

Good going Danny!

DarkDisplay
sage

Reged: 12/21/10

Loc: Texas
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: MawkHawk]
      #5547575 - 11/30/12 05:42 PM

I can identify with that. Years ago, I owned a big Doberman. He had a bad habit of barking long and loud at night. Being nice to him did not work. So, I applied a little discipline. All I had to do after that was to turn on the outside light and he'd stop barking.

Best wishes,
Frank

Kfrank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/08

Loc: Northern Colorado
      #5547592 - 11/30/12 05:59 PM

Carol is 100% right - why she has the dog, how she feels about it, what the daughter thinks about it - all of that is none of the neighbor's d*** business.

If the neighbor is bothered by the dog's barking, that's quite another matter.

Consider though, that the OP is outside, moving about, in the dark. Frankly, I wouldn't expect the dog NOT to bark under these conditions. To him, the OP might be a prowler. Certainly, the OP can expect resolution but IMO, a little care and understanding will go a long way here. Becoming confrontative won't serve well here - the prevailing sympathies are likely to be with the elderly widow. And I'd expect that the police would cut her a considerable amount of slack in this matter. Despite the support the OP has gotten here, society in general is likely to side with the Woman rather than the OP .

This is certainly a case where you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Kfrank]
      #5547608 - 11/30/12 06:12 PM

Quote:

why she has the dog, how she feels about it, what the daughter thinks about it - all of that is none of the neighbor's d*** business.

your right, it's not my business.

Quote:

that the OP is outside, moving about, in the dark. Frankly, I wouldn't expect the dog NOT to bark under these conditions. To him, the OP might be a prowler.

No the dog knows me all to well. I think he's lonely. He wants to play with the guys. He's not allowed.

Quote:

Becoming confrontative won't serve well here

Your right.

Quote:

This is certainly a case where you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Please, that is so over used, I always been nice to her.

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: BigC]
      #5547625 - 11/30/12 06:20 PM

Quote:

The dogs are starved for attention and affection.Dogs are social animals and a dog by itself is very lonely .

Chances are the barking dog really is saying "wanna play,wanna play!"

Since the owners don't give the dogs attention the dogs bark.

Roll up a newspaper and go whack the......OWNERS until they behave better!

Should he rub her nose in it when she pees on the floor too?

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: MawkHawk]
      #5547632 - 11/30/12 06:23 PM

Quote:

When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who had 3 big mutt dogs that loved to bark at night. My dad "trained" those dogs to keep quiet. After some training, they'd hear our back door handle turn and run away and give us some hours of quiet.

I nearly hate to ask but how did he train them????

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: orion61]
      #5547777 - 11/30/12 07:48 PM

PM sent...

Kfrank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/08

Loc: Northern Colorado
      #5547792 - 11/30/12 08:03 PM

Danny ,

I'm not saying you haven't been nice to her. I can remember many years ago when I had no clue what it was like to be "old" and didn't care.

Getting old, however, changes one's perspective. It's not possible for you to understand the world in which she lives, a world in which her closest friend is the dog that torments you. I live alone with a small dog. I can emphasize with your neighbor.

I hope that, when you reach the stage in life that your neighbor finds herself in, you are blessed with understanding and caring neighbors. Perhaps there's more to this karma thing than we realize.

BarbMoore
sage

Reged: 05/11/09

Loc: South central New Mexico
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5549734 - 12/02/12 02:03 AM

It doesn't matter if water harms a dog or not, spraying someone else's pet with any substance is illegal.

Qwickdraw
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: BarbMoore]
      #5549843 - 12/02/12 06:34 AM

Quote:

It doesn't matter if water harms a dog or not, spraying someone else's pet with any substance is illegal.

Flee spray?

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: Qwickdraw]
      #5550249 - 12/02/12 12:18 PM

"It doesn't matter if water harms a dog or not, spraying someone else's pet with any substance is illegal."

Tell a skunk that........

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Neighbor's Annoying Dog new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5550365 - 12/02/12 01:39 PM

Ala Homer Simpson I renamed the neighbors dog....called it "Barky".

Thankfully they couldn't stand the noise either and Barky was gone after a year.

That's when the other neighbor decided to install pole mounted security lighting.

I'd take Barky over that infernal light anytime.

But that's how life works...for me, anyway.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6017

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics