Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Moey

Reged: 01/23/08

(Faster)ccddrift using backyard eos for astrotrac? new
      #5546453 - 11/29/12 11:33 PM

Was wondering, rather than using the ccd drift method for polar aligning astrotrac (image for 2 minutes, 1 minute forward next minute rewind), would it be quicker to do this using backyard eos illuminated reticle screen feature? As in, rather than take an image, do fast drift for 1 minute than reverse it while watching the star drift on the screen and make adjustments live while viewing it?

Hope I make sense

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: (Faster)ccddrift using backyard eos for astrotrac? new [Re: Moey]
      #5546519 - 11/30/12 12:36 AM

Yep, that should work, in fact a have several users doing it as you described it

The difficult part with an astrotrac is the ability to center the star smack in the middle where the crosshairs are. To compensate, BYE offers the ability to move the crosshair reticulated to where the star is; not ideal but functional.

Hope this helps,

Guylain

Moey

Reged: 01/23/08

Re: (Faster)ccddrift using backyard eos for astrotrac? new [Re: guyroch]
      #5546537 - 11/30/12 12:53 AM

Quote:

Yep, that should work, in fact a have several users doing it as you described it

The difficult part with an astrotrac is the ability to center the star smack in the middle where the crosshairs are. To compensate, BYE offers the ability to move the crosshair reticulated to where the star is; not ideal but functional.

Hope this helps,

Guylain

Hi Guylian,

Wow thanks for the quick response

Is it difficult to center because of the ball head on top of the astrotrac?

mikotoy

Reged: 06/20/12

Re: (Faster)ccddrift using backyard eos for astrotrac? [Re: Moey]
      #5547108 - 11/30/12 12:27 PM

I used to do it the way you mention it using BYE, but found that it took even longer than capturing the image.

The issue you end up having is that there is no good sense of how large the angular deviation is and may end up over correcting. I made very small changes to avoid over correction which took greater time vs waiting for the 2 minute cycle to complete and have a far more accurate reading.

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: (Faster)ccddrift using backyard eos for astrotrac? new [Re: mikotoy]
      #5547446 - 11/30/12 04:01 PM

But this is always the case with any form of drift aligntment - the closer you get to alignment the longer it takes to find out what the error is.

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 386

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics