Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jb32828
sage

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Orlando, FL USA
Re: Advice for a beginner first purchase new [Re: panhard]
      #5550456 - 12/02/12 02:31 PM

I have to chime in on the Orion Goto dobs as well. You can try to pry mine from my cold dead hands. Love it, love it, love it. The 10" is the perfect balance of portability and aperture - any larger really requires being a truss dob to be portable IMO. The gotos are decently accurate enough. They are fantastic scopes. The best part about them is that you can use them in tracking only mode as well - align the scope, then push to your targets and the thing tracks pretty well.

And above all, if the electronics ever fail in the field, its still useable the old fashioned way. There is something to be said for that.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eddie21

Reged: 11/28/12

Re: Advice for a beginner first purchase new [Re: bandhunter]
      #5553074 - 12/03/12 11:13 PM

Quote:

My point, is that if you are just considering a goto scope because you want help in finding objects, due to time constraints or light pollution you would be better off with a "push to" dob. Just my .02.

Daniel

Actually I was concern about the difficulty in finding objects, I saw several videos and seems simple, cheaper, lighter, doesn't need a power tank and does the job!

Just one final question: when a 12 inch dob is pointing the zenith, how tall is it? More than 170cm?

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Advice for a beginner first purchase new [Re: eddie21]
      #5553112 - 12/03/12 11:39 PM

Depends on the dob. I customized my Z12 (f/4.93) to get rid of the extra height (2"?) built into it to accomodate different balance points. I have a telrad, standard 8x50 finder, and some heavier EPs. These all mean that my scope needs the bearings adjusted to put the mirror closer to the ground (always a plus for stability). My dob rides on a dedicated EQ platform that raised it about 4". All this being said, my EPs are right at my eye when pointed vertically and I'm only 5'8". My eye is at about 63.5" (161cm) above the ground.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Advice for a beginner first purchase new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5553534 - 12/04/12 08:30 AM

I'm 5'7" and my 10XTi perfectly puts the eyepiece to my eye juts standing there (with the scope pointed up). I use a stool to sit on when pointed lower.

cadfour

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: Melbourne, Florida
Re: Advice for a beginner first purchase new [Re: panhard]
      #5554332 - 12/04/12 05:40 PM

Fly in the ointment time! All this for a beginner....really?! Here is my advice, and I am only trying to save you from spending 2000 dollars on all this equipment only to possibly have it sit in the closet. If you really want to step up from naked eye and binocular observations, just get a decent beginner scope. Why not start with, at most, a good quality 6" reflector? Use it for a year and make sure you still have the same excitement for this hobby as you do now. If you find that it is what you want to do after a year, sell the one year old 6" reflector and put that money back in with whatever you have left over from the 2000 and buy the scope you are talking about in this post. Seems like a reasonable plan to me. I say stick a foot in the water before doing the belly flop.

jturie

Reged: 11/19/12

Loc: Valley Forge, PA
Re: Advice for a beginner first purchase new [Re: cadfour]
      #5555416 - 12/05/12 10:21 AM

I have to agree with cadfour. I am just starting out and settled on a Nexstar 6SE because I want to be able to pick it up and drop it in the backyard and not fight my light-polluted skies looking for objects. Don't know your observing location, but if it's severely light polluted, anything above 10 inches is going to be hobbled and require you to buy a LPR filter.

Start small--there's plenty to see in your first year given the fact that life and clouds will often prevent you from going out. You can always buy a bigger, faster light bucket that will happily use your (quality) eyepieces. Believe me, you'll be spending plenty on accessories! Good luck.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1424

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics