Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: 1
PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Will LX800 OTA's be available? new
      #4921878 - 11/18/11 12:00 AM

I'm interested in the native f8. optics of the 14", and VERY interested in the f5. optics with their reducer. If everything is engineered well and plays nice together, these things should be great imagers. I'm also looking forward to learning more about the internal crayford. Does that mean the primary is fixed to the rear casting and the internal crayford is a very exotic moving baffle tube?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stewww

Reged: 06/29/10

Loc: Memphis, IN
Re: Will LX800 OTA's be available? new [Re: PGW Steve]
      #4922392 - 11/18/11 10:20 AM

Just a pure guess on my part but I think they will but not for some time. I'm sure all the production will be going into the demand for the tube/mount combo.

I'm can't wait for reviews to start coming out. I wonder how much the CO will effect things for visual in f/8. I've read that the f/6.3's were discontinued for this reason.

I'm sure it will be fantastic for imaging but I want a dual purpose scope.

PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Re: Will LX800 OTA's be available? new [Re: Stewww]
      #4923108 - 11/18/11 04:59 PM

That sounds about right as far as them selling the OTA mount combo. I might have to find someone looking for a mount only and split the savings.

Micheal
sage

Reged: 02/28/10

Loc: Corona, CA
      #4926797 - 11/20/11 07:48 PM

14" will start shipping late Feb according to the reps I talked with yesterday. The mirror does move but it moves on roller bearings so there is no gap between the mirror and the baffle tube. Thus no mirror shift. The focuser is a 7 to 1 focuser. The f/5 reducer screws into the rear cell and goes in (internal) so you don't lose back focus. Really an amazing system.

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
Re: Will LX800 OTA's be available? new [Re: Micheal]
      #4926857 - 11/20/11 08:41 PM

I would think that if Meade thinks that they can make some money by selling the OTA's separately, then they will offer them at some point. Just like Celestron didn't initially offer the HD scopes in the CPC reformat, but now they do since I believe the CPC is a good seller for them.

Bill

PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Re: Will LX800 OTA's be available? new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #5522996 - 11/16/12 02:28 PM

At the ASAE show, I asked the fellow there and he pointed out a price list next to the LX800 rig they had set up. The 14" is $5999 IIRC.

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

#5524266 - 11/17/12 12:11 PM

Looks like they're up on their store for preorder

tonyt
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Australia
Re: Will LX800 OTA's be available? new [Re: Griffin!]
      #5525201 - 11/17/12 10:10 PM

I wonder if there are any buyers left brave enough to buy new Meade mounts after the failed launch? I'd think buyers would have more confidence in a seperate Meade ota at present.

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
Re: Will LX800 OTA's be available? new [Re: tonyt]
      #5545347 - 11/29/12 11:16 AM

They need to get the systems back to the owners who had them before the recall. They need to make sure that they work so that those users, who happen to be vocal and members of communities like Cloudy Nights, will post about their experiences. The word needs to get out that they seriously overhauled the system and are committed to exceptional support on them. Meade has been aware of the issues and were working on them since when? About 6 months ago now? I can not understand what is taking so long. That is my real and biggest concern. Seems like Meade is doing everything wrong in every way. I'd be careful. While these OTA's look great on paper, nobody has really had a chance to use them. They also redid something with the focuser? So that indicates that during the time Meade has been working on the mounts they discovered issues with the OTA too. It would be nice if there was an official post from Meade explaining all of this in perfect detail along with following up answering questions. Something as simple as that goes a LONG way toward restoring consumer confidence. Their plan seems to be to wait it out and hope people get distracted with something else and stop asking questions.

faltered
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/01/05

Re: Will LX800 OTA's be available? [Re: Pak]
      #5547381 - 11/30/12 03:15 PM

why is it everytime someone talks about the LX800 OPTICAL TUBE, it turns into a conversation about the MOUNT recall?

magiclight

Reged: 08/01/12

Re: Will LX800 OTA's be available? new [Re: faltered]
      #5570936 - 12/14/12 02:29 PM

I have just bought a Titan rather than going down the LX800 route however the LX800 OTA looks a very good option with the f5 reducer. Optcorp have them for order.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2487

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics