Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Advice on binoviewers... new
      #5546673 - 11/30/12 05:02 AM

About 4 or 5 years back I tried to do some binoviewing with my 10 inch dob and 80mm apo. I got the earthwin binos when he just split from denk. I could never really get them going right. I personally think he was giving me the wrong attachments, but who knows.

Either way, I don't have the kind of extra money I had back then, but am interesting in trying things out again.

Are the WO binos worth trying or is it just worth waiting and going with a better setup?

As you can see in my signature I have 2 refractors around F7 and a couple dobs F4.7 and F8. Probably mostly interested in using the refractors, but would like to use the big 10 inch also.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Advice on binoviewers... new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5546678 - 11/30/12 05:18 AM

If you don't mind the increase in magnification, a 2x TeleVue PowerMate will allow you to get a WO in focus on all scopes without difficulty. The 10" is around 1200mm focal length, so a pair of 24mm eyepieces in a WO+2x PowerMate will give 100x. I can assure you that this will be fantastic on the Moon on any given evening, even if the seeing is a bit on the poor side. On a good night, you could go to a pair of 16mm's, for 150x. It will also be utterly fantastic for globular clusters. I use my 12" Meade Lightbridge with a Baader Maxbright, a 2.6x corrector and two 25mm Zeiss eyepieces for lunar/planetary and the views are amazing, especially of the Moon. Details even at just around 160x far surpass anything I've ever seen in my refractors up to 125mm at any magnification. It can do even much better than this, but I've yet to have a night with seeing good enough to do that. I'd say your primary eyepiece pair for lunar/planetary and globulars in the 10" should probably be around 130x. An 18mm pair would be optimal, I think. If you can go for two pairs, go for a ~25mm pair and a ~16mm pair.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen (11/30/12 05:19 AM)

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Re: Advice on binoviewers... new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5546680 - 11/30/12 05:25 AM

I have recently got 25mm and 18mm orthos from UO. Would those be good binoviewing eyepieces? I love them single eye

One thing about my 80mm apo is it needs a 2 inch extender to come to focus (the lens was upgraded to an apo from an achro). Would that extra in-focus be helpful for binoviewing?

Does it have to be the powermate? or could it be a normal 2x or 3x barlow? I have a 2x celestron ultima (older) and a 3x televue barlow.

Thanks!

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Advice on binoviewers... new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5546683 - 11/30/12 05:47 AM

The UO orthos are very good for binoviewing. They were my first high-quality bino pairs. A little narrow in AFOV, but crisp and contrasty. Highly recommended.

A removable 2" extender is definitely a good thing! This means that there is more available back focus.

It doesn't need to be a PowerMate, but a normal barlow, when used in concert with a binoviewer, will often operate at somewhat higher magnification than normally, so that you are limited to high magnifications. A binoviewer really shines at low to medium power, so this can be a serious drawback, depending on the scope and barlow combination. You often want to get down to 50% - 75% of your normal single-eyed magnifications when binoviewing, because the image will appear much larger than before and your eye can resolve finer details when both work together. That is at least my experience. A normal barlow will also not have the parfocal function of the PowerMate, so even when using a barlow, you may have focus issues with scopes with narrow focus range, such as newtonians.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Advice on binoviewers... new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5546810 - 11/30/12 08:51 AM

I would skip the entry level imports and get the Baader Maxbrights. For the additional cost, it could easily be your last binoviewer. Try Televue Plossls in the focal range you desire. Their planetary views are excellent.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Advice on binoviewers... new [Re: t.r.]
      #5546952 - 11/30/12 10:38 AM

I use the WO in my ED80mm and when I use the included 1.6x barlow I have no problem with focusing.

Bob

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Advice on binoviewers... [Re: t.r.]
      #5548010 - 11/30/12 10:58 PM

Quote:

I would skip the entry level imports and get the Baader Maxbrights. For the additional cost, it could easily be your last binoviewer. Try Televue Plossls in the focal range you desire. Their planetary views are excellent.

+1!

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 802

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics