Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
Centaur
Vendor

Reged: 07/12/04

Loc: Chicago
Occultations of Shadows by Galilean Satellites
      #5548211 - 12/01/12 02:24 AM

Jupiterís opposition from the Sun as measured by greatest elongation will occur on 2012 DEC 02 at 19:47 CST (UT-6). That night for many North Americans two Galilean satellite transits across Jupiter will be observable along with transits of their shadows. Io and its shadow will transit during the early evening. Then Europa and its shadow will transit during the early morning. Because Jupiter will be near opposition from the Sun, during both cases the satellites will partially occult their own shadows. Since the Io transit precedes the opposition, it will follow its shadow. Since the Europa transit follows the opposition, it will precede its shadow.

My preview graphics for both transits are currently on my Jupiter webpage: www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter

Around midday CST each day I update my timetable for Galilean satellite events that will occur over the following 24 hours. That implies that the timetable for the night of DEC 02-03 will be uploaded around midday on DEC 02.

Photos and descriptions of the unusual transits would be welcome additions to this thread.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 406

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics