Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Plato Albedo
      #5548263 - 12/01/12 03:59 AM Attachment (43 downloads)

Spent some quality time observing Plato's albedo. It was quite striking. Below is an attempt to sketch it - not so much the crater, but just trying to capture the intricate albedo. It was surprisingly difficult to do.

The moon was about 2 days past full on 30 Nov 2012. The 4 craterlets were seen as white specks and are used as a reference.

Sketch at 174x using UO HD 10mm Ortho and Celestron shorty barlow at 1.6x.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/17/10

Re: Plato Albedo new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5548332 - 12/01/12 06:38 AM

Norme - That is a wonderful sketch.
Observing the white craterlet markings and albedo markings
is a pet project with me. You have captured the view extremely well indeed.

Directly to the West of the big craterlet, I always tend to pick-up a bright spot that looks like craterlet, but it's not one.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Plato Albedo new [Re: Rutilus]
      #5548333 - 12/01/12 06:43 AM

Rut, it's a beautiful sight. Maybe I missed the albedo that looks like a crater, but you can bet I will look again.

Thanks for saying so, it's not bad pet project to have. I posted hoping others would stop and enjoy the view, as well.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

#5548358 - 12/01/12 07:17 AM Attachment (29 downloads)

Norme - Here is a drawing from a couple of years ago when I started out in the project.
I really like the way you have re-produced the Albedo features, first class work indeed.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5548501 - 12/01/12 09:58 AM

Wow, that's beautiful. I gotta do this more often, Rut. This is really interesting. Thanks for chiming in and making the observation a little more meaningful.

So, do you find sun angle affects Albedo? Curious if I happened to catch a good sun angle. Seeing tonight was mediocre. The brighter albedo was there, but it did not look like a good night to really pursue it.

Besides, some neighborhood kids stumbled into my hiding place, so they got to see Jupiter and the lunar limb. That was cool.

You captured some darker albedo, too. I did see a few spots that looked darker, but really need to pay closer attention. One darker patch would be just above 3 in your sketch. And the other left of 1, I believe. Both near the rim. They are only slightly darker in my sketch - should have made them more obvious.

Rutilus
Carpal Tunnel

#5548694 - 12/01/12 12:18 PM

Norme - I tend to observe Plato around the Full phase and a few days after as I tend to see the craterlet markings better.
I've never done a scientific study into how the Sun angle may effect the markings visibility, I'm sure someone will be able to chip in with some useful answers.

I have read many an old book, where they mention seeing transiant features within Plato.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5548741 - 12/01/12 12:45 PM

You know, for decades I have avoided the moon observing deep sky on weekends when the moon was near new. Now, there is just so much to see and observe on the moon and planets. Enough to keep one busy for more decades.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 621

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics