Mark72
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/19/12

Loc: Munich, Germany
Re: What do you do when GPS just won't link? new [Re: AhBok]
      #5586974 - 12/24/12 10:47 AM

Kevin,

Did you get it sorted out?
I look at mine and it shows correct time but keep saying “Enter if OK”, “Undo to edit” and “GPS Linking”

Not sure if I loose orientation if I enter OK. It's waking up from deep hibernate after 2 months

Mark

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
astrovienna
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/04/06

Loc: The NoVa White Zone
Re: What do you do when GPS just won't link? new [Re: Mark72]
      #5589134 - 12/26/12 01:07 AM

Well, it does store the GPS coordinates. Took me five years of ownership to notice that! So as long as I enter the time, it's not a problem. The weird thing is that sometimes it seems to read the time from my laptop (I use Nexremote), but other times it won't. Once I actually watched it report the correct time, and as I was getting ready to press the Enter button, the time suddenly jumped about twenty minutes off. Weird!

Anyway, the bottom line is that the couple experiments I've done so far indicate that GPS linking isn't actually necessary if you're permanently setup, which should solve my problem.

Kevin

Kevdog
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: What do you do when GPS just won't link? new [Re: jerwin]
      #5602875 - 01/03/13 12:11 PM

Quote:

I think I read once that a car GPS is always talking to 3 or 5 satellites. Your gps gets time data off of each of them and can figure out your direction speed location and whatnot. But a telescope GPS should only need to hit one satellite, so if that one GPS is having issues I could see it not linking.

No, you need at least 4 satellites to determine your position in 3 dimensions. The more satellites you can see, the more exact your position.

http://airandspace.si.edu/gps/work.html
http://airandspace.si.edu/gps/spheres.html

The car devices then just use the change in position between 2 readings to determine direction and speed.

AhBok
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/02/10

Re: What do you do when GPS just won't link? new [Re: Kevdog]
      #5605730 - 01/04/13 11:02 PM

Yep. One satellite is all you need to update the time. This is why you see the time synch up first and afterwards the GPS fix once it has linked to the required number of birds.

astrovienna
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/04/06

Loc: The NoVa White Zone
Re: What do you do when GPS just won't link? new [Re: AhBok]
      #5610209 - 01/07/13 01:06 PM

I've pretty much given up on GPS linking. Since the coordinates of my obs are remembered, it isn't worth waiting for the link. I just enter the time manually.

The time issue is really weird. When I first launch Nexremote, it shows the correct time for a second, then changes to some wildly incorrect time (and a date back in 2004). I'm guessing it first reads the time from my laptop, then for some reason dumps that time for some internally stored (but incorrect) time. I wonder why Nexremote isn't written to just stay with the laptop's clock? Very weird.

Kevin

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: What do you do when GPS just won't link? new [Re: astrovienna]
      #5614588 - 01/09/13 10:04 PM

I don't use my GPS anymore either. I just input date and time manually. It does store lat and longitude. I started having this "problem" when I began setting up my scope in another part of my yard; maybe the satellite is being blocked by my house. I have read somewhere that such things can happen. I have to admit that I find the GPS so unnecessary I've never tried moving the scope around to see if it makes a diff.

Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2530

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics