Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Jupiter NEB
      #5549615 - 12/01/12 11:56 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Well, been following the activity in the NEB. Seems a week ago, the rift was quite prominent. It appears much less so today. The NEB appeared thinner on either side of the festoons. The festoons appeared to have some faint blue fuzz extending into the EZ. Just a faint streamer noted and a weak white feature below it.

The EQ zone(s) were very weakly tawny, not much of a EB seen. The STropZ was pretty white. STempZ was a bit gray. And some lighter and darker albedo was evident in the south.

Seeing was okay, seems some very fast, relatively smooth air was jetting overhead. It gave the moon a very crisp, but rapid shimmy. The Jovian moons were alternating blobs and discs. Weird, really. Transparency was fair with a extremely thin high overcast.

30 Nov 2012 at 1615UT. System I 283. UO 18mm HD Ortho 1.6x Barlow. No filter.

Frank, I did try a neutral density filter. It seemed okay, but it gave an annoying reflection. I just have a cheap set. Maybe that's why I prefer not to use them.

Oh, and I played around with my template and the colors. The belts need a bit more ruddy hue. Also adding the zones and belts, mostly out of boredom during the day. Thought it would look cool. Oh well...

Edited by Asbytec (12/02/12 12:26 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Jupiter NEB new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5549697 - 12/02/12 01:01 AM

Dang it you have REALLY nailed the belt hues. Save that palette!!
I'm heading off to bed... Ill relook tomorrow. You've really refined your colors well.

stray1
sage

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5549729 - 12/02/12 01:41 AM

Hi Norme,

Your sketches go a long way in educating me in the subtle nuances of the Big One. For example, the split that you've detailed in the NEB appears in my EP as a tapering away of the belt as it approaches the limb. It's these things that I hope will eventually make me a better observer!

I like your new template but I also have mixed feelings about. It is informative for us rookies and I appreciate the way you implement the colors of the belts and zones into the labels; but it is also sort of distracting, drawing the eye away from the subject (similar to how my old sketch template did, though not as bad). All in all, I like it!

Say, where are those crazy moons?

-stray-

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Jupiter NEB new [Re: stray1]
      #5549752 - 12/02/12 02:27 AM

Norme,

Very nice detailed sketch. I can see these colors somewhat but there is too much to sketch to have time to make a list of them so I can do a color version of Jupiter indoors. My colors would be much fainter and more pastel than yours.
I have done color sketches in the past and did not like any of them. You have mastered Jupiter at the eyepiece in color with your scope. Great sketching.
I don't like neutral density filters either. As you have said filters alter the color too much. Polarizing filters work best for me on Jupiter if it is transparent.

Frank

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter NEB new [Re: frank5817]
      #5549786 - 12/02/12 04:04 AM

Pete, yea, okay...I'll save that pallet.

Stray, yes, I thought it would be nice to have one with the zones labeled. Dunno why really, maybe to help myself stay oriented. If it helps others, great. Distracting, yea...maybe it is. I won't use it much anymore. I was going to add the winds and relative speeds, too.

So, you captured the NEB rift. Now, that's saying something. It was not as easy this night as it was before. But, that you're seeing it shows you are mastering observing the King. There is more there than a quick glance can show.

Frank, I see them somewhat, too, in terms of saturation. The colors are not that bold nor as saturated as the sketch. Certainly when you put your eye to the scope, they appear very much gray scale. But, there are those moments when Jupiter just shows itself. The colors are a shade or two from gray scale, but they are also very distinct from one another. It's easy to recognize gray-brown/ruddy from gray, for example, and both are different than gray-tawny. And each is different from white. It's that distinctness of color that I really want to get across, not the saturation.

Actually, this level of color is a relatively new thing for me. The belts have always bee ruddy, the polar regions always brown and gray. Everything else was pretty much white. Only recently did I notice some ruddy hue in the NTropZ back in early Nov. A week or so later, George and Dean mentioned that zone was "yellow." So did Ivano.

So, I looked again, and began to see the tawny hues in the NTropZ and EZ. And when that happened, white seemed to show up. "Hey, that's not the same color!" And once one recognizes white features, then they distinguish the gray hues. Almost instantly, Jupiter was exploding with color.

It was an eureka moment, so that's how you observe color! And that took Jupiter to the next level, for me.

Variable polarizer, eh? I don't have one. I fear loosing that slim advantage it takes to recognize color. But, maybe a good filter can go a touch deeper into the atmosphere. Maybe that's the next observing plateau.

stray1
sage

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5549813 - 12/02/12 04:59 AM

Quote:

Stray, yes, I thought it would be nice to have one with the zones labeled. Dunno why really, maybe to help myself stay oriented. If it helps others, great. Distracting, yea...maybe it is. I won't use it much anymore. I was going to add the winds and relative speeds, too.

Norme,

No! Nein! Nyet! Keep using this template. Before today I had NO idea that the NEB was divided into two separate entities. This is education at its finest!

As for the wind: I really dislike that thing. It is like trying to focus on a moving laser dot

-stray-

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter NEB new [Re: stray1]
      #5549867 - 12/02/12 07:05 AM

I did try to tone them down a bit, Stray. They kind of help me, as well. This is only my third season with Jupiter, sometimes I get the tropical zones mixed up with the first temperate zone.

I did forget to add the moon location template. That's an easy fix. Gotta remember to add it, that's all. Okay, maybe keep it for a while, since I am so decisive, opinionated, and firm of mind.

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5552450 - 12/03/12 05:22 PM

Norme,

Good sketch of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter NEB new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5552522 - 12/03/12 06:09 PM

Thank you, Tom. It's all in the seeing.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 554

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics