Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
tnakazon
sage

Reged: 06/26/10

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: dgg99]
      #5526599 - 11/18/12 06:39 PM

Another great sketch - thanks Diego!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
curiosidad
sage

Reged: 06/09/11

Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: tnakazon]
      #5527636 - 11/19/12 10:28 AM

Carol ,Diego , fabulous sketch, demonstrating that a simple telescope and a nebular filter can do wonders in certain objects ..
Thanks

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: dgg99]
      #5529387 - 11/20/12 05:00 AM

Great observational sketch, Diego - thanks for sharing it with us!
The 80mm widefield refractors certainly are wonderful for observing large nebulae.

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: curiosidad]
      #5529390 - 11/20/12 05:13 AM

Quote:

Carol ,Diego , fabulous sketch, demonstrating that a simple telescope and a nebular filter can do wonders in certain objects ..
Thanks

Thanks!
You're absolutely right - seeing these large nebulae in one fov is absolutely stunning.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: Carol L]
      #5530101 - 11/20/12 12:59 PM

I often use the example of putting my 2" OIII filter in the front dewcap of my 9x50 RACI finderscope to view both sides of the Veil at the same time for people who don't believe the OIII can be used in apertures under six inches. I do have an 80mm f/5 short tube and used it to see both objects, but anymore, it kind of gets left inside, as my 100mm f/6 seems to pass the threshold where detail in deep-sky objects becomes a lot easier to see, especially with filters. I prefer the views of the Veil and *especially* the North America Nebula in my 100mm f/6 refractor. In particular, the "Mexico" portion is quite a bit more prominent in the larger refractor than it is in my 80mm Short Tube. Clear skies to you.

dgg99

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Northern Spain
Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5530303 - 11/20/12 02:25 PM

tnakazon, curiosidad and Carol, thanks for your comments!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: tnakazon]
      #5534394 - 11/22/12 08:10 PM

Quote:

Was able to pick up the Veil and North American Nebula with my Orion ST80 using a 32mm Plossl (12.5X magnification) and a Thousand Oaks OIII filter at an orange zone site (Malibu). For the Veil, I was able to get both ends and Pickering's Wisp in the same FOV. The OTA is mounted on a Vixen Mini-Porta alt-azimuth mount (only 6.5 lbs).

Good job! The first time I saw the Veil and North America Nebula was also through an ST80 and an OIII filter. I saw all three main sections of the Veil in one FOV. Nice, isn't it?

Mike

omahaastro
sage

Reged: 08/30/06

Loc: Omaha, NE
Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5546377 - 11/29/12 10:31 PM

Fantastic sketches! If you like the ST80 (and I still love mine)... you'll really like the 120mm F/5's that are nearly as prevalent from Orion/Celestron... with it's 2" focuser. Fantastic wide field views... I stick the 31T5 in it!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: omahaastro]
      #5547025 - 11/30/12 11:39 AM

I upgraded my ST80 with a 2" Crayford focuser. The widefield 2" eyepieces make a big difference in the view. But the beefier focuser and the large eyepieces add substantially to the weight.

Mike

curiosidad
sage

Reged: 06/09/11

Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5547439 - 11/30/12 03:55 PM

Hello Sarkikos,
What maximum field you get with eyepiece of 2" in the ST80/400?
Get to focus with 2 "diagonal + eyepiece of 2"?
Have a picture of the whole?
greetings

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: curiosidad]
      #5547690 - 11/30/12 07:00 PM

The maximum true field of view I could attain in my ST80 with the eyepieces I have now is 6.8 degrees if I put my AT Titan-II ED 40mm, a 2" eyepiece, in the focuser. But that would give me an 8mm exit pupil. The next largest TFOV is 6.2 degrees through my ES 82 30mm, another 2" eyepiece, giving a 6mm exit pupil. These are used with a 2" diagonal.

I've never had a problem with eyepieces not coming to focus in my ST80. Remember, though, that I've upgraded the original focuser to a 2" Crayford.

Mike

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: omahaastro]
      #5548901 - 12/01/12 02:32 PM

Don't know what the exit pupil of oomahastro's setup would be, but I'm certain I could not look, comfortably, thru an ST80 with a 32mm plossl. I'd have to go the ES 24 68*, Pan 24, old Meade 18mm UWA, or Sterling Plossl 25mm route for widest 1.25" field with only 400mm of focal length. I realize this is a personal preference kind of thing, but a 32mm Plossl thru an ST80 would cause GREAT discomfort, headaches, and general eye-mind coordination issues, rendering such a setup useless for me.

However, I agree that an ST80 can be an absolute JOY to use. In fact, for someone like myself for whom binoculars are not an option, an ST80 is a set of binoculars in overdrive! Wonderful wide vistas, very stable even on the flimsy EQ-1 mount, a mount unworthy to use with almost any telescope, but sufficient for the uber-light weight ST80. Very stable and providing breathtaking, sweeping gasps of the heavens. In a pinch, can do wonders even on Jupiter if nothing better is handy. I've since stepped up to 80mm and 102mm ED scopes, significant investments (especially the latter!) that I only justified after being serious about visual amateur astronomy for a decade.

I agree with David that going up to 100mm is very rewarding, but there is also a fairly significant loss of portability. That EQ-1, e.g., demostrates its incapacity with 100mm+ optics (90mm, really, but 100+ for sure). So you've got a beefier mount and heavier tube to deal with. Of course everything is relative, and the 100-class optics are a real joy to use compared to 120mm+ refractors -- excepting the ST120. That one is no more work than a 100mm ED for sure, but it's the only one. All other 120mm+ refractors make the 100mm class look downright portable and an order of magnitude easier to manipulate. I agree with David this is a better place to be, overall, but we must walk before we run, and the ST80 is a wonderful way to get a good visual understanding of the sky, with its easy to find things wide field of view, it's hard to beat, and about as easy as it gets, portable telescope wise. If you don't want to bother or don't have room to pack the 100mm class scope, the ST80 can provide hours of enjoyment and easy celestial education, not to mention just plain ole fun.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 new [Re: CollinofAlabama]
      #5549335 - 12/01/12 08:02 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

IME, these small, short-tube, rich-field refractors are best used on alt-az mounts. Tracking is not needed for low-power views unless AP is involved. Why complicate things with a GEM? A GEM also adds to the overall weight with a counterweight. I have an EQ-1 (CG3), but I don't use it and I ought to sell it. It's up in my attic.

But, nevertheless, I did have the ST80 mounted on an EQ-1 (CG3) for awhile. Notice the upgraded wooden-legs for stability.

Mike

CollinofAlabama
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA
Re: Veil & North American Nebula with an ST80 [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5549738 - 12/02/12 02:10 AM

Mike, I agree, and like the OP, my own AstroTech 80 ED scope rides a Vixen Portamount. But this mount costs more than the ST80 OTA, and Orion sells and has sold the ST80 with an EQ-1 since Moses was young. A lot of folks will have this combo, thus my statement. I agree a rich field refractor is an odd scope to bother with a GEM (tho Orion does the same thing with the 120ST). And the EQ-1 is about the worst excuse of an equatorial mount one will find. Still, the ST80 rides it fine, svelt little fellow he is.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2647

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics