Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
EdmontonAB
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Sooke, BC , Canada
ASCOM How do I start it?
      #5549871 - 12/02/12 07:09 AM

I must be missing something really simple. I just downloaded ASCOM 6 and AP ASCOM V2. On my desktop are two icons, ASCOM diagnostics and explorer, but I can't seem to find the exc file anywhere to run the program. I ran the diagnostic and it says everything is fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johne
sage

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ.
Re: ASCOM How do I start it? new [Re: EdmontonAB]
      #5549876 - 12/02/12 07:14 AM

Once you've installed the Ascom programs, as you've done, that is it. I've never had to start or execute Ascom. The software that you install for your mount control, cameras, filter wheels and such are the programs that automatically call or run the Ascom modules as they need them. It all happens in the background without you having to do anything, other than installing the Ascom program which you have already done.
I hope this helps.

Edited by johne (12/02/12 07:21 AM)

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: ASCOM How do I start it? new [Re: johne]
      #5549886 - 12/02/12 07:33 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

John's right. Once you've installed ASCOM, it is recognized from your Planetarium or Planning software. From within your software, you click on the scope setup (varies depending on software), specify ASCOM driver, then open it. You should be presented with a popup window named ASCOM Telescope Chooser. Click the dropdown box and select the driver you downloaded for your specific mount. Then click the Properties button next to it, that will open the specific Scope Driver Setup popup. From there you configure your ports and additional settings. The attachment shows the two ASCOM boxes as they appear for me in all my software (SkyTools, AstroPlanner, CdC) and should appear to you.

Steve Drapak

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: ASCOM How do I start it? new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5550098 - 12/02/12 10:29 AM

If you really want to pull up an interface without running a planetarium program etc, I believe EQMOD has an exe program included that will start up an ASCOM session.

FaronD
sage

Reged: 03/25/10

Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Re: ASCOM How do I start it? new [Re: EdmontonAB]
      #5550292 - 12/02/12 12:49 PM

Hi Steve, once you've installed the latest Ascom platform, then install the Astro-Physics V2 driver. In the start menu go to Astro-Physics, Ascom Driver,Setup Telescope and that's it.
Now you can set everything up. As mentioned before, the planetarium program will open up Ascom automatically. The AP driver places an icon on the lower right area of the task bar that will allow you to open the panel. Hope this helps.

Faron

Ray Gralak
Vendor (PEMPro)

Reged: 04/19/08

Re: ASCOM How do I start it? new [Re: Steve Drapak]
      #5550307 - 12/02/12 12:58 PM

Quote:

If you really want to pull up an interface without running a planetarium program etc, I believe EQMOD has an exe program included that will start up an ASCOM session.

I don't think that would work for the AP V2 ASCOM driver.

However, the AP Driver has a couple programs that you can use to open the driver without a planetarium program: They are the APTimer and AP Jog utility programs. You'll find them in the start menu under Astro-Physics->ASCOM driver.

-Ray Gralak
(Author of the AP V2 ASCOM Driver)

EdmontonAB
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/30/08

Loc: Sooke, BC , Canada
Re: ASCOM How do I start it? new [Re: Ray Gralak]
      #5550416 - 12/02/12 02:11 PM

Thanks for all the help. I guess my main issue was getting the AP ASCOM V2 screen up. I used Faron's suggestion and it came up. All I need to do now is setup my mount.

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 673

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics