Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
tbone0168
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/23/09

Loc: Long Island, New York
Wireless control....
      #5550004 - 12/02/12 09:30 AM

Has anyone in the house used this product on a CGEM?

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&keyword...

If so how well is its performance?.....Instead of hooking it up to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch can it simply be used with a laptop?

Terrance

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
slipfit
journeyman

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: Wireless control.... new [Re: tbone0168]
      #5550469 - 12/02/12 02:38 PM

I have this unit; I make connection with Stellarium with my CPC 800. It works very well, I wanted to use it with an android tablet, but the tablet does not make an ad-hoc connection. To use it with a laptop you have to use a virtual com port. Software is free on the net. Once a connection is made it acts as if the scope is connected directly to the laptop. The only thing is to watch time on the batteries, or plug it into power supply, which is better. The unit plugs into the bottom of the hand control with the supplied cable.

The software for virtual com port can be found at Southernstars web site. One is Com2Tcp it is free trial software, works really good. Other software can be found there too.

In Stellarium software, you setup the telescope plugin for the telescope you have and com port, and you are good to go. It also works with other planetarium software, just set it up in the software package of your chose.
When in use with Stellarium, there will be a bullís eye like marker on the screen to where the scope is pointing. You pick an object on the screen and press ctrl+1 and the bullís eye and scope will move to the object. Really cool.

When doing an alignment, connect StarSeek to the hand control, but leave it turned off, do the alignment as you normally do, after the alignment is done, turn on StarSeek and make a connection to the laptop, and you are ready to start. I hope this helps and clear skies

tbone0168
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/23/09

Loc: Long Island, New York
Re: Wireless control.... new [Re: slipfit]
      #5551348 - 12/03/12 12:53 AM

Great info!.....Thanks!

Clear skies!

Terrance

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 550

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics