Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1
AlienRatDog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/15/05

Loc: Ann Arbor
Nikon 10x50 action extreme
      #5551162 - 12/02/12 10:11 PM

Anyone use these? What is your thoughts on it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillC
on a new path

Reged: 06/04/04

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Re: Nikon 10x50 action extreme new [Re: AlienRatDog]
      #5551173 - 12/02/12 10:22 PM

They were my biggest seller the last 2 years I was with Captain's.

Hurry and get that degree! Marco has to take all my college puke abuse, at this time. Although I really don't care . . . it's kinda not fair.

My college credentials seem to be impressive to everyone EXCEPT those capable of hiring me! Oh, well, eating is probably overrated!

"I am married to a very understanding woman who allows me to blow my money on sweet, sweet glass."

Such thinking once cost me dearly; don't let it happen to you!

Cheers,

BillC

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: Richmond, KY, USA
Re: Nikon 10x50 action extreme new [Re: BillC]
      #5551585 - 12/03/12 07:06 AM

Oh, the pain I have to live with...
They are pretty good, a bit soft at the edges of the FOV, but the view is fairly wide so that is to be expected. They are on sale at the Big NY stores (Adorama and BHphotovideo) for $142 including shipping.
Bill:

Marco

AlienRatDog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/15/05

Loc: Ann Arbor
Re: Nikon 10x50 action extreme new [Re: rydberg]
      #5551626 - 12/03/12 08:10 AM

How do they compare with other 10x50s (Celestron nature and Orion scenic and ultra view)?

RussL
Music Maker

Reged: 03/18/08

Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC
Re: Nikon 10x50 action extreme new [Re: AlienRatDog]
      #5552392 - 12/03/12 04:51 PM

Just got a pair. I almost got the Pentax, but decided that each gave me at least a 40-degree of clear AFOV, and since the Nikon was reviewed to be more crisp on axis I went for it. I must say, they are indeed crisp on axis. I will concur with Ed Zarenski in that the crispness seems to begin to fall off at about 60% out, but it's not that bad, still usable. I was afraid that since at the edge things would be pretty squishy I might not like them, but turns out I don't move my eye over there anyway. It's nice to have the extra view there, though, even if it's not as crisp as the center image, and I know that I would have to pay dearly to get it as good at the edge as in the center, so I think the Action Extremes are a good value for the dollar. Also, contrast seems to be really good, ergonomics are excellent, weight is ok, focusing is positive with no play, diopter works well and is easy to set, and coatings look good. I find that, for me, I like the eyecups just one click out to prevent some slight blackout when they are all the way down (I wear glasses). I can still see the full FOV that way.

The strap is good, but the case is junk. Gotta get a good case for them. Also, the lens covers on the end are weird the way they fit inside. But, they do stay there. probably wouldn't go crawling through the bushes with them out of the case, though, for fear of losing one or both.

Got mine for $148. I'm happyhappy. Read EdZ's review of them. Pretty much says it all. I think these are the best you can do for the money.

Edited by RussL (12/03/12 04:53 PM)

BillC
on a new path

Re: Nikon 10x50 action extreme new [Re: RussL]
      #5552415 - 12/03/12 05:03 PM

"Akita mani yo." Observe everything as you walk. (--Lakota)

Off topic or not, I think this will go a long way toward bringing a smile-and go a long way toward explaining some of the thinking from that 5-sided puzzle palace on the Patomac.

BillC

The tribal wisdom of the Lakota Sioux, passed on from generation to generation, says that, "When you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."

However, our federal government has come up with a whole range of far more advanced strategies like:

1. Buying a bigger whip.
2. Changing riders.
3. Appointing a committee to study the horse.
4. Sending a delegation abroad to see how dead horses are ridden in other countries.
5. Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be included.
6. Reclassifying the dead horse as “living impaired.”
7. Hiring outside contractors to ride the dead horse.
8. Harnessing several dead horses together to increase speed.
9. Providing additional funding and/or training to increase dead horse's performance.
10. Doing a productivity study to see if lighter riders would improve the dead horse's performance.
11. Send the dead horse up in the Space Shuttle to see if it becomes any less dead in a weightless environment.
12. Declaring that as the dead horse does not have to be fed, it is less costly, carries lower overhead and therefore contributes substantially more to the bottom line of the economy than do living horses.
13. Rewriting the expected performance requirements for all horses so as not to place unfair stress on the dead ones.
14. Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position.

kcolter
sage

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: Missouri, USA
      #5552504 - 12/03/12 05:52 PM

We are not worthy. Why am I ROFLMAO when most of the 14 sound so plausible? I'm particularly fond of #8, it pegs the benchmark for the understanding of physics necessary for election to congress.

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Nikon 10x50 action extreme new [Re: kcolter]
      #5552505 - 12/03/12 05:55 PM

< 8. Harnessing several dead horses together to increase speed. >

Philip Levine
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/22/07

Loc: near Boston, MA
      #5552592 - 12/03/12 06:53 PM

Hi Bill,
thanks for giving me the best laugh I've had in months. What a stinging indictment of "government" mentality!
your post list should be made required reading for our elected officials in D.C.
Phil

BillC
on a new path

Re: Nikon 10x50 action extreme new [Re: Philip Levine]
      #5552606 - 12/03/12 07:00 PM

Quote:

Hi Bill,
thanks for giving me the best laugh I've had in months. What a stinging indictment of "government" mentality!
your post list should be made required reading for our elected officials in D.C.
Phil

Bill Cook

Navy,
Navy Reverve,
DoD, PSNS,
DOD, Army, Ft. Lewis
DoD, NEX, Smoky Point

I think I'm qualified.

Cheers,

Chief Sitting Bull . . . ony

EdZ
Professor EdZ

Reged: 02/15/02

Loc: Cumberland, R I , USA42N71.4W
      #5552639 - 12/03/12 07:16 PM

Thank you Russell for thee concuring opinion and the recommendation to read mine.

While I have a Fujinon 10x50, the Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 is most often sitting nearby on the coffee table ready to look out the window on a moments notice.

Yes, I'll pull out my best binocs when I want to set up a tripod for a concerted nightime effort, but the Nikon AE is always at the ready and gets used an awful lot.

It's a binocular you wouldn't be disappointed to own. The details can be found in my CN Reports.

edz

RussL
Music Maker

#5552661 - 12/03/12 07:32 PM

Ed's review also includes some comparisons to other 10x50s.

I compared them to my Celestron Ultima DX 10x50 (Chinese version of the older Japanese model). The Nikon is much better, pretty much in every way. Every spec mentioned above registers more positive, including the crispness on axis (which is very noticeable).

RussL
Music Maker

Re: Nikon 10x50 action extreme new [Re: EdZ]
      #5552671 - 12/03/12 07:37 PM

Quote:

Thank you Russell for thee concuring opinion and the recommendation to read mine.

While I have a Fujinon 10x50, the Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 is most often sitting nearby on the coffee table ready to look out the window on a moments notice.

Yes, I'll pull out my best binocs when I want to set up a tripod for a concerted nightime effort, but the Nikon AE is always at the ready and gets used an awful lot.

It's a binocular you wouldn't be disappointed to own. The details can be found in my CN Reports.

edz

You're welcome, pal. I've learned a lot from you.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

#5555480 - 12/05/12 11:01 AM

Either the Nikon or the Pentax will serve its owner well, both have strengths and weaknesses, both offer outstandng value for the price,in the world of lower cost optics we, the bino junkies have never had it so good,DA.

Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Nikon 10x50 action extreme new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5604033 - 01/04/13 03:06 AM

About the Pentax and Nikon Action Extreme: are they build the same and are they having the same optical characteristics as they did, say two three years ago?

Btw. i have my 10x50AE a couple of months now and I use it a lot. Also at day time. I must say that the AE produce brigther views then my Nikon Monarch (10 years old). The monarch will be use by my wife because she thinks the AE is a little to heavy.
A couple of days ago i set the AE on a tripod for the first time. The views are very good but in that situation i can see more the imagedegradation at the edges.Maybe thats because i move my eye more then when I handhold it.

charen
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/28/05

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Nikon 10x50 action extreme new [Re: Traveler]
      #5604093 - 01/04/13 05:05 AM

Whilst I view the Nikon AE range in high regard it is moderately important to note that they are only "multicoated". They do display white reflections showing up looking down through the objectives. Nikon advertise them as M.C. only. There are some minor internal reflections on bright objects, however the contrast remains very good. Nikon AE coatings do appear to have deteriorated over the years. The more modern Nikons reflect more light from the objectives them my earlier 10 year old plus PCF versions. I assume Nikon do this as a cost cutting measure, which is understandable, but having FMC coatings would make a good binocular even better.

Chris

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1449

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics