Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Jupiter Opposition
      #5551546 - 12/03/12 06:00 AM Attachment (78 downloads)

A most memorable opposition. Caught Ganymede rising from behind Jupiter's limb. Absolutely stunning sight. Almost missed it, finished the sketch just after 1430UT and happened to glance back into the eyepiece. Noticed a small speck on Jupiter's limb and witnessed "Ganymede Rising." Beautiful. Cranked up to over 320x and just watched it.

The NEB is very busy. Note, I did not catch the black spot following oval BA until is was well on the limb. I included it because it was seen and held.

Also, I did succeed in capturing a white oval south and trailing the GRS. Unfortunately, in this sketch it would be over the following limb. It was very tiny, really not much different than the dark spot. However, I held it steady a dozen or more times. No question. There was a hint of another one preceding it, but it was more like a faint hollow in the darker belt just south of BA.

The NTB looks kind of funny, but it really did have those dash marks across the top. Should look right in the sketch, but it turned out a little strange. I wish I had gone deeper into the SEB, but the NEB ate up most of my time.

Spent the rest of the night with a cup-o-Joe just observing color and the GRS, the intricate wake, as mentioned one white oval, and observing Ganymede, Europa, Callisto, and especially Io all at "Stupid Mag" at about 384x on the zenith is nearly perfect seeing. I hope the colors came out alright on the moons below.

System I 158, II 127. Seeing 9/10. Trans 4/5. UO 18mm HD Ortho 1.6x Barlow at 174x.

Edited by Asbytec (12/03/12 08:07 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5551582 - 12/03/12 07:03 AM Attachment (31 downloads)

The moons...

It's not to scale, but all three moons: Io, Ganymede, and Europa were very near to one another. In fact, they should have been in the same FOV even at ~384x along with Jupiter (8mm TMB II 50deg AFOV, 1.6x Barlow, and 1900mm fl.) I just cannot remember, but at least Ganymede and Io and Io and Europa were seen in the same FOV.

Ganymede seemed to sport a slightly less bright Jupiter-side limb. It might show in the sketch. No bright specks noted on it's surface, which was more blond that yellow. Callisto is really more "beaver" color. Yes, that's a color very close to a grey ruddy hue. (Beaver #9F8170 R62%, G51%, B44%.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors

Europa was strikingly yellow with a faint distinct diffraction ring. Io was more orange with a hint of reddish. It also sported a fain diffraction ring. But, here's the thing. Europa was distinctly circular, Io is not. In fact, it's diffraction ring was slightly distended. I tried to capture as accurately as possible that difference. This sketch represents about 1630UT, but leave Jupiter as it was and only for reference to simulate the view.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5540082/page...

Edited by Asbytec (12/03/12 07:45 AM)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5551609 - 12/03/12 07:39 AM Attachment (28 downloads)

A better view, maybe...

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5551748 - 12/03/12 09:55 AM

Your depressing.

That's an awesome amount of detail. I said you outdid yourself last time but that's true here. Don't mean to gush but that's really out there. I gotta believe this is going to be your benchmark for a time. That's positively bristling with details and the neb is just...LOL depressing.

Well its clear tonight... I can dream.

Pete

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5551752 - 12/03/12 09:58 AM

Oh and don't think I overlooked Io.

Pete

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5551767 - 12/03/12 10:13 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Dude, I dunno what to say. Last night after sketching, I just sipped coffee relaxing with Jupiter. It truly was a stunning evening. Been scouring ALPO and this forum for Jupiter images at opposition. Sometimes you just gotta know if you got it right.

Credit to Martin Mobberley on ALPO Japan, a little old.
http://alpo-j.asahikawa-med.ac.jp/kk12/j121130z.htm

Tim and Alan Lehman in the CN Planetary Imaging forum, a little rotated from my view.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5551230/page...

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5551283/page...

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5551769 - 12/03/12 10:14 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

And here is another great one showing the white oval observed! The largest one for sure, none of the others.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5550690/page...

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
      #5551938 - 12/03/12 12:25 PM

Norme,

This is stunning. Just Stunning.

Frank

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5552402 - 12/03/12 04:56 PM

Norme,

Nice sketches of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5552525 - 12/03/12 06:11 PM

Frank, Tom, this has been the most beautiful opposition. So fortunate the seeing was superb that night. Thank you, and it was entirely stunning.

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
      #5552616 - 12/03/12 07:04 PM

Norme, I'm in awe of your artwork.

Ed D

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: Ed D]
      #5552836 - 12/03/12 09:09 PM

Norme...

There is too much going on here for me to even start. First off, excellent work uncovering that most tiny of spots between the GRS and BA. I'm also impressed with the accuracy of the details in the SEB. The pale oval followed by the darker dash is awesome. And I love the effect of the "Ganymede Rising". That is a sight I have yet to see.

But the real kicker here (as if there is only one ) is the preposterous amount of detail in the NEB/EZ region. I can't even begin to imagine the smile on your face while observing those features. The shading in the festoons alone is very well rendered. Thumbs up, bro!

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: Ed D]
      #5552849 - 12/03/12 09:14 PM

Norme,

Thanks for sharing your opposition experience with us. A great set of observational drawings.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5553029 - 12/03/12 10:47 PM

Jason, maybe you could sketch my smile that night and set it off with, oh, something meaningful. Well, you're an artist, a photographer with the eye for that great shot. Think of something. The best I can come up with is:

But, yes, oh yes...it was a great night. Really, on nights like that you gotta look skyward and wonder if God can hear you saying, "Hey, thanks, man."

The NEB was letting it's details slip over time, I just managed to pick them off one by one. In the end, the draft was stuffed with dark shading, dotted lines, abbreviations...and smiley faces. So much so, I was dying to confirm what was seen. So, yea, "Hey, thanks, man."

Micheal, as a retired weekend observer now full time under killer skies, I am having the time of my life. It's almost like it's too good to be true. Ever have that uneasy feeling when things are just working out too well, and they are for now? I got that feelin.

stray1
sage

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5553317 - 12/04/12 03:48 AM

Welp, that's it. I cannot keep up with you Norme. I'm done.

I am never going to look at Jupiter again much less sketch it...because I don't have to...I can simply log on here and view your dazzling work.

Time to move on to something easier. Carbon stars, maybe.

-stray-

Ps--just kiddin'. Had the Meade out tonight catching brief glimpses of the J through scudding cloud cover.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: stray1]
      #5553390 - 12/04/12 06:20 AM

Straaaaaaaaaaay! I'm sure you don't mean it, but don't even joke about such things. Makes me feel bad, and it would break my heart if my passion got in the way of yours. You know I am pulling for you in every way.

Remember, this isn't a contest. The sketch is nice, it's the memories of our observations that are priceless. As Jason said, it's camaraderie. A support group for those who sit alone in the dark. I know you understand, just want to be clear I do, too.

Find your passion, my friend, and pursue it. How can you not succeed? You know how all that works. (Well, surely we both have a few stories about when it doesn't. ) Carbon stars or doubles are nice subjects. Some guys like the sun, some can really deliver on the moon. I just fell into planets, so might you. Fall into a passion and let it take you to...uh, to...Nirvana. I think that's where it leads.

Ah, I find myself lecturing like my mother and in need of a spanking.

Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
      #5553597 - 12/04/12 09:09 AM

Andrev
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #5553895 - 12/04/12 12:36 PM

Norme.

Well, beautiful work my friend. You're getting more more detailed in your sketches.

Andre.

chrisrnuttall
Professor Emeritus

Reged: 12/29/10

Loc: York, England
Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: Andrev]
      #5554155 - 12/04/12 03:13 PM

Norme, this is your best digital sketch so far. I like that you have muted the white down a bit with subtle colour in this sketch so the contrast with the belts is a little less strong, and the main belts are perfect in width, proportion and colour. It compares very favourably with the webcam image.
The EZ is impressive, that detail can be very elusive due to its low contrast. The GRS that close to the limb is a tough one these days too.

Well Done!

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: Jupiter Opposition new [Re: chrisrnuttall]
      #5554603 - 12/04/12 08:32 PM

You can imagine how much I appreciate your comments, it was a great night with Jupiter. When everything comes together, well it's just a jaw dropping experience as you all know. It's a great feeling knowing I managed to communicate it well through the sketch.

Yes, the EZ was a bit bright that evening making it more difficult. And the GRS could be seen, but faintly of course. It's interesting that Jupiter is considered a bright, low contrast object. In that sense, we're fortunate to see anything at all.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1758

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics