Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
C11hd collimation screws? new
      #5196101 - 04/29/12 08:19 AM

I was collimating my C11hd and messed up one screw. It will have to be replaced next go around. Anyone know the size or know where they stock replacements? They look like 2.5 x 12 mm to me.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: C11hd collimation screws? new [Re: Stew57]
      #5196437 - 04/29/12 11:56 AM

Mark, they are definitely metric. Bob's Knobs for the next time? Sorry when I sold my 11" EdgeHD I gave the buyer my old collimation screws. I would have just sent them to you if I still had them. Good luck.

TG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
      #5196438 - 04/29/12 11:56 AM

Mine were 12mm M3 sized. I replaced the stock ones with stainless steel Allen head ones.

Tanveer

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
Re: C11hd collimation screws? new [Re: TG]
      #5196842 - 04/29/12 04:15 PM

Quote:

Mine were 12mm M3 sized. I replaced the stock ones with stainless steel Allen head ones.

Tanveer

yep...now that my warranty is about to expire, I will get some allenhead ss types myself.. thanks

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: C11hd collimation screws? new [Re: ewave]
      #5196851 - 04/29/12 04:20 PM

Thanks guys, I didn't want to take them out yet as I am collimated for now. The next timw they will have to be replace so I will pick some spares up. thanks again.

korborh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/29/11

Loc: Arizona
      #5197475 - 04/29/12 11:32 PM

I got myself wing-head M3 stainless steel screws that I will replace my Bob's knobs with when I am out of collimation next.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#thumb-screw-fasteners/=hbozav

Bob's knobs are very hard on fingers especially in the cold.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: C11hd collimation screws? new [Re: korborh]
      #5197932 - 04/30/12 09:46 AM

Couldn't stand it so I went and bought some m3x12 button head cap screws. They have a head head and fit inside the fastar cap. I just like the screws hidden behind the cap. I use a live video when collimating, I don't hsve to reach around the scope so I didn't really need or want Bob's knobs, or screws that protrude out keeping the cap from closing.

Thanks again for the replies as I would have gooten 2.5s and wasted a trip.

BTW
Did anyone else notice how tight celestron had the screws. My collimation has beeg great for 2+ years. I only went to adjust it after taking the corrector out to clean. I went to tighten one screw (instead of loosen) and messed the head up. Thew were really tight. Maybe that is why the collimation held so well? the ota has not travelled much as it is used in the backyard so I am sure that is a factor also.

Edited by Stew57 (04/30/12 09:52 AM)

TG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/06

Loc: Latitude 47
      #5198470 - 04/30/12 03:34 PM

Quote:

BTW
Did anyone else notice how tight celestron had the screws. My collimation has beeg great for 2+ years. I only went to adjust it after taking the corrector out to clean. I went to tighten one screw (instead of loosen) and messed the head up. Thew were really tight. Maybe that is why the collimation held so well? the ota has not travelled much as it is used in the backyard so I am sure that is a factor also.

I don't remember how tight the original screws were but my approach is to finish fine collimation by tightening all screws. This maintains collimation far better (I have never recollimated after I replaced the screws) than if the screws are finger tight and is the reason I went for Allen-heads as the torque afforded by the hex-keys is much more than what your fingers can manage with, say, Bob's Knobs. It also got rid of the "sudden-give" problem I had with BKs.

One great thing about the HDs is that because the optics are coma-free, you never have to keep recentering the star while collimating.

Tanveer.

dobsoscope
sage

Reged: 05/24/06

Re: C11hd collimation screws? [Re: TG]
      #5551553 - 12/03/12 06:21 AM

Do you know which sizes are the ones of the C14 EdgeHD please?

Pages: 1

Extra information
16 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 814

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics