Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rhino

Reged: 11/30/08

Loc: Arizona
Re: SCT recomendations? new [Re: Kevdog]
      #5556047 - 12/05/12 05:28 PM

all great comments guys, thanks. i will be buying used, just liked the celestron as an example of what i want. i have exhausted the local crags,, and flag and tucson, i am still leaning to a few years old LX90, but i sure am liking the eq mount idea. wedge is great and doable for a fork mount go to scope for me. for refractors there is a meade LDX75 EMC 5" that i like the looks of, decisions decisions.

thanks a bunch, i guess i just need to decide if i want to stick with what i really want (sct) or figure out if something else will suit me better.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eric38

Reged: 05/04/07

Loc: Chicago
      #5566312 - 12/11/12 05:09 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

This is something I Frankensteined together. I bought a C8 on a basic wedgepod circa 1989. The tripod and mount were marginal even new. My next bits were the Celestar deluxe mount and wedge. These can be adjusted ALT AZ with decent precision using control knobs. Got the Advanced Astro Master controler and encoders. So now I have a tracking platform with 4 preset speeds and a push to system that has M, NGC and Star data bases. This is a very early AAM v1.38 but an original variant made for JMI. Found that in the hidded setup menu. I called and talked to Tom at JMI today and found out quite a bit of interesting info on this item. Anyway, just wanted to share with you about my setup as what you described at the beginning of the thread is very much like what I have scrapped together. First light tonight, weather permitting.

Robert70
sage

Reged: 02/11/11

Loc: The Garden State: NJ
Re: SCT recomendations? new [Re: Eric38]
      #5566371 - 12/11/12 05:53 PM

My 2004 8in. LX90 LNT w/UHTC is still going strong. Easy set up, great views. I made a few upgrades, finder scope, dew shield, diagonal, eye pieces and next is a feather touch focuser. I am a visual observer only. My LX90 has a glossy smooth coated OTA. I got it before Meade moved to Mexico. BTW, I have not had to collimate this SCT since the day I got it. Probably needs it, but to close to call.

Bill Friend

Reged: 02/16/12

Loc: Maine
Re: SCT recomendations? new [Re: Robert70]
      #5567348 - 12/12/12 11:09 AM

I bought a used C8 Celestar Dlx and picked up a used Celestar wedgepod. For spur of the moment observing, I can pick up the OTA/Fork/Wedgepod all together and walk out into yard from my house. It's only a tad heavier than the basic Celestar but you get a better mount/drive. I use the heavy duty wedge and tripod when I want to image.

Bill Friend

Re: SCT recomendations? new [Re: Bill Friend]
      #5567385 - 12/12/12 11:34 AM

Oh, one issue with the Celestar Dlx is the potential for board failure. I believe there's a former Celestron employee out there somewhere who offers replacement boards/parts or fixes them, though my information is certainly dated (~8 yrs). A basic Celestar is simple/reliable (spur gear drive) for visual observing. I prefer a fork over an EQ mount as a matter of comfort, but agree with others that it's the way to go if you plan to image.

Edited by Bill Friend (12/12/12 11:35 AM)

vct123
sage

Reged: 11/17/09

Loc: Staten Island, N.Y.
      #5568104 - 12/12/12 07:04 PM

If you want goto, I would go with a newer model cg5 or lxd75 mount and a c8 ota, either with Starbright or Starbright xlt coatings. Stay away from old mounts with old computers.
The way the used market is , the newer stuff is cheap enough.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: SCT recomendations? new [Re: Bill Friend]
      #5568794 - 12/13/12 08:16 AM

Quote:

Oh, one issue with the Celestar Dlx is the potential for board failure. I believe there's a former Celestron employee out there somewhere who offers replacement boards/parts or fixes them, though my information is certainly dated (~8 yrs). A basic Celestar is simple/reliable (spur gear drive) for visual observing. I prefer a fork over an EQ mount as a matter of comfort, but agree with others that it's the way to go if you plan to image.

The only problem I ever heard about with the electronics board was non-functional PEC, which could be cured by a PROM replacement. Tangent, who manufactured the electronics, provided some support for quite a while.

Bill Friend

Re: SCT recomendations? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5568831 - 12/13/12 08:47 AM

Thanks Uncle Rod, good to know.

MKuhn

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Succasunna, NJ
Re: SCT recomendations? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5570967 - 12/14/12 02:50 PM

Quote:

Frankly, I'd be hesitant to buy an LX90 right now...

Why? Is there something wrong with their quality?
I'm thinking a Dob right now, but haven't ruled out a good SCT and the LX90 was looking good to me.
Regards,
Mark

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: SCT recomendations? new [Re: MKuhn]
      #5572282 - 12/15/12 10:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Frankly, I'd be hesitant to buy an LX90 right now...

Why? Is there something wrong with their quality?
I'm thinking a Dob right now, but haven't ruled out a good SCT and the LX90 was looking good to me.
Regards,
Mark

Maybe 4 or 5 years ago the lx90 had major problems with the drives ... The problem was solved about 2 3 years ago...

Hand On and Company 7 both strongly advised me to NOT buy a Lx90 in 2009 when I purchased my CPC1100

I would have NO PROBLEM buying a new one today NOR would I have a problem buying a 6 year old Lx90 today...

I'm NOT a dob guy..been there done that and have no intention of buying another ..but I also never say never

Bob

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2410

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics