Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: Frederick, MD
Re: If you had around $500-600 for a refractor.... new [Re: buckeyestargazer]
      #5552010 - 12/03/12 12:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you had around $500-600 for a refractor for AP what would you get?

Hands down my choice would be an AT65EDQ for AP. Since the 65Q has a flat field, not having to mess with a flattener is a huge plus. My second choice would be an Orion EON 80mm. I have owned both scopes and used both for AP. I found the quality of both to be excellent.

However it also depends on what types of objects you want to photograph, and how stable a mount you have. The above refractors will give good wide-field images, but will be less well suited for galaxies or smaller planetary nebulae.

+1

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: If you had around $500-600 for a refractor.... [Re: Scott Beith]
      #5552342 - 12/03/12 04:04 PM

The ED-80 is hard to beat, though it isn't amazingly fast. The color correction is very, very good, though. The Celestron C80ED and current 80ED labeled SkyWatcher have the same cell. If only every little kid had one of these waiting under the tree.

The f/6.25 version which was the Orion EON and the SkyWatcher Equinox is good, but doesn't have quite as good a color correction. But I would not despair- the correction I found was ideal if after best focus I rolled the focuser out 1/10 mm. So, these are usable on a budget. And the OTA is so pretty, I can't bear to part with mine. It's basically doing visual, though it can be run at f/5 with a 0.8 reducer/corrector.

Narrowband forgives all- after all, chromatic aberration is the effect of multiple colors coming to different focal points. So, in that case, an ST-120 is an option. NOTE, different color images will need to be scaled to combine them.

The AT-65 is a good suggestion- faster and shorter focal lengths are more forgiving. With that said, anything under 800mm should be pretty forgiving.

-Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1187

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics