Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Mark V arrived today!
      #5552523 - 12/03/12 06:10 PM

Well, the wait is over and the unit is in. Put it together (using my existing Baader T2 standard prism) and here are my initial impressions.

The boy is a solid unit. It has a very nice feel and the finish is of very good quality.

Some people have reported that new units arrived with the diopters bottomed out so tight that that they had difficulty unscrewing them. Mine were not quite bottomed and moved freely.

The threads on the diopter adjustment are super-fine and also dry. They turn easily but don't have the feel that you get when high viscosity grease is used in this kind of application, but I would imagine that lub migration could be a concern. Anyway, they move easily, but the movement is not super-silky smooth, but not at all coarse. It takes almost no effort to turn them.

The lock mechanism is intersting. Inside the barrels, there are two slots running parallel to the optical axis and these have clear plastic ridges that project up through them. When you twist the lock, these ridges cam up though the slots to lock the eyepeice in place.

There doesn't appear to be a "Click" in these units, so instead, you just twist until you feel like you have sufficient pressure. The first time I "locked" them, I tugged on the eyepieces to see if they were being held tightly and they were not. It took a little pressure to get the eyepices in tight. Unlocking was easy though, and while I am sure that the Counter-rotating motions (one turns clockwise, the other turns counter-clockwise) will become second nature (the diopters also counter-rotate).

The quick release unit comes with a thin washer. The only thing I could think of was that this went over the dovetail groove to act as a bearing, but when I did this, the lock screw did not sit deep enough in the groove, and I could "Pop" the connector off of the track unless it was very tight, and if it was that tight, it would not rotate.

So.. I left it out. The rotational movement is not super smooth, but it is OK. Perhaps the plastic ring would have made it a bit smoother, but to me, it did not seem to fit well.

I use an AP 3.25" to 2" back for my C14, and one of the screws intefers with the rotation of the bino body in one direction. I have a priority request in to Santa to get me a Clicklock unit for the big holiday.

Side by side, it is easy to see that this unit adds at least 10mm to the back focus requirments vs the Maxbright. I set them both standing on end (with the connector on the Mark V in place) and the tops of the diopters on the Maxbright were about even with the top of the body of the Mark Vs, so the lock rings and diopter stood up above it by their own length.

I always approach final focus using inward travel of the eyepecies, so I have the diopters rotated up about 5 turns as my starting point.

Nothing else to report for now, but conditions look good for viewing tonight, so a report will follow tomorrow I hope!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Itz marcus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Re: Mark V arrived today! new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5552561 - 12/03/12 06:33 PM

Hope you beat the curse!

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Mark V arrived today! new [Re: Itz marcus]
      #5552621 - 12/03/12 07:07 PM

Congratulations!

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: Mark V arrived today! new [Re: Itz marcus]
      #5552722 - 12/03/12 08:05 PM

Clear for now, and went out to set up. Quick look at NGC 869 (half of Double Cluster). Was not even dark, but with 24mm Hyperions, field was wide and well illuminated right to the edge with no sign of any vignetting at all. Supposedly the 24mm Hyperion has a 28mm field stop so this is great to see.

Some dinner and then some observing. Clouds are supposed to come in by midnight, but hopefully I can get some Jupiter time in.

MAURITS
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/09

Loc: Belgium
      #5553244 - 12/04/12 01:57 AM

Thanks Eddgie for the discription of your mark V.
If you have the time, will you even try it on the 6" refractor?

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: Mark V arrived today! new [Re: MAURITS]
      #5553548 - 12/04/12 08:40 AM

I already know that it will not reach focus with my 1.25x GPC even mounted in the front of the diagonal.

With the Maxbrights, I have about 5mm of focus remaining when I setup with the GPC in front of the diagonal, and the Mark V is at least 10mm longer, so it isn't going to reach focus.

And there really is no point in doing this with much more magnification (for me anyway). If I am going to work at over 2000mm, I would prefer to binoview the EdgeHD 8".

So, not going to work and I don't intend to buy a higher powered GPC to make it work. I just don't see myself binoviewing the 6" unless I could use it at native focal lenght, but even here, it limits the field so much that it robs me of the primary use of the scope for me, which is wide field viewing. As I said, I can get 100x out of the EdgeHD and don't see any advantage to doing it with the smaller aperture of the 6" APO. I just don't see a point to doing that.

iceblaze
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
      #5554273 - 12/04/12 04:56 PM

Congrats, and enjoy the Mark V's! Looking forward to your updates

-James

avenger

Reged: 01/08/08

Loc: USA
Re: Mark V arrived today! new [Re: iceblaze]
      #5554621 - 12/04/12 08:46 PM

Congrats on the MK V, they are the best 1.25" on the market.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 804

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics