Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/26/06

Loc: Enfield, NS Canada
Meet "Belt of Orion" my second hand Skyshed POD new
      #5550383 - 12/02/12 01:54 PM

This is my first Observatory and I am excited, winters get cold here and the worst part of imaging is setting up, aligning, drift aligning, polar alignment, it takes a lot of time, time I could be taking pictures. It takes about an hour to get everything setup. Now all I have to do it open the door and turn it on, I hope anyway

I rented the largest Uhaul trailer I could haul on my jeep and glad I did, I only had inches of play left after loading everything. It really is large and I was worried I wouldn't have enough room to move in it as I am not a small guy but there is lots of room to breathe in it.

The dome was the most difficult, I had help, thank god! but getting it to line up proved to be challenging, I mean I watched the install video so many times I figured it can't be that hard but it was something stupid, like it not sitting in the groove properly.

There is a few things that were missing:

1.) One of the short bolts in the dome roofing was missing, no big deal I can easily get one at home hardware
2.) another bolt was missing in one of the track brackets, again easy to fix
3.) Bolt to slide to lock the dome.
4.) one I need to replace is, the door key, it was missing, was in the door when I got but lost it somewhere from the trailer to my backyard, visually can't see it, might ask to borrow my neighbors metal detector.

Can the key be replaced?

I can't wait to try it out and get my scope setup after I get a replacement key. Enjoy the pics everything and share in my excitement

20121202_132226 by AstroJeff, on Flickr

Link to the entire set:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjD3Z5Lp

When you all said a name would come to me you weren't lieing! I thought back when I was a child and the most prominent thing I could remember, just getting into the hobby, at age 9 or 10 I remember every winter the three stars always lined up. I couldn't think of a better name, it fits perfectly I think!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Meet "Belt of Orion" my second hand Skyshed POD new [Re: Magellan]
      #5550395 - 12/02/12 02:01 PM

Congratulations on your observatory! Really nice, and you will wonder what you did before it; as it's so convenient & time saving; not to mention protection from the elements!

Ed Wiley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Meet "Belt of Orion" my second hand Skyshed POD new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5550544 - 12/02/12 03:30 PM

Congratulations on your new Pod. I love mine although with my setup I have to be careful moving around the observatory. (A G-11 and a F22.5 Dall Kirkham take up lots of space.) With my rig I found the PZT shelf to be a necessary addition. It is easy enough to move, even for a guy who is 67. I will be interested in your experience as it looks like you do not have the PZT.

Ed

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/26/06

Loc: Enfield, NS Canada
Re: Meet "Belt of Orion" my second hand Skyshed POD new [Re: Ed Wiley]
      #5550567 - 12/02/12 03:42 PM

I am wondering that myself, a CGEM with Orion 8" Astrograph with Celestron 80mm guidescope is big too, might have to rotate the OTA a bit as I need to get up pretty high for alignment.

Starman27
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/06

Loc: Illinois, Iowa
Re: Meet "Belt of Orion" my second hand Skyshed POD new [Re: Magellan]
      #5551781 - 12/03/12 10:29 AM

Jeff,

Good looking POD. Enjoy it. I have found mine to be a great asset. I don't have a PZT, I am considering it now.

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: Meet "Belt of Orion" my second hand Skyshed POD new [Re: Starman27]
      #5551932 - 12/03/12 12:17 PM

Pick up the phone and call Wayne... I'm betting that the keys are all identical but Wayne should be able tp help you out with either a new lock mechanism or just (a FEW if you are like me) the key..

Bob G

Glen A W
sage

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: WEST VIRGINIA USA
Re: Meet "Belt of Orion" my second hand Skyshed POD new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5552347 - 12/03/12 04:13 PM

Looks great! It will take your astronomy to a new level. I can't wait until I have an observatory again. GW

SkyShed
Vendor (Sky Shed)

Reged: 05/23/05

Loc: Staffa , ON
Re: Meet "Belt of Orion" my second hand Skyshed POD [Re: Magellan]
      #5552908 - 12/03/12 09:41 PM

Congrats Jeff! Nice job. Excellent sky.

I see your key question was answered in the POD Yahoo group. You're right about the rest of the hardware you need.

As the second owner you probably wouldn't know that we tell new POD owners it is VERY important that they make backup copies of their keys. You should do that with your new ones.

Let me know if you need help anything else.

Have Fun!
Wayne
www.skyshedpod.com

YetAnotherHobby
sage

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Central CT
Re: Meet "Belt of Orion" my second hand Skyshed POD new [Re: Starman27]
      #5562863 - 12/09/12 05:54 PM

If you search this forum for 'homemade PZT' there is a clever design made solely from dimensional lumber. Not as slick as the Skyshed solution, but it works just fine. I copied it in one afternoon. I do recommend the quick release clamps from Skyshed - taking those 9 bolts out each time you open the dome would get old fast!

SkyShed
Vendor (Sky Shed)

Reged: 05/23/05

Loc: Staffa , ON
Re: Meet "Belt of Orion" my second hand Skyshed POD new [Re: YetAnotherHobby]
      #5562873 - 12/09/12 06:02 PM

Plus if you make your own PZT you can still get the Quick Release Brackets (QRBs) from us to remove the dome in a jiffy.

Have Fun!
Wayne
www.skyshedpod.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 880

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics