Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page


Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
helpwanted
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: btschumy]
      #5542635 - 11/27/12 06:59 PM

just downloaded Where is M13?... looks like this could be nice!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
helpwanted
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5542641 - 11/27/12 07:02 PM

wow, this is a neat program!!! Thanks Bill!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)
*****

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5543225 - 11/28/12 02:19 AM

I should have Sky Vistas in a day or two. I'll report back with a couple of pics. I cant wait to see it finally. I have no doubt that this and Burnham's will be the books I'll cherish forever and Craig, I promise not to tatter Sky Vistas up like Burnham's.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Crossen
super member
*****

Reged: 07/14/08

Loc: Vienna
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5543243 - 11/28/12 02:44 AM

Quote:

Craig, I promise not to tatter Sky Vistas up like Burnham's.




Daniel

I hate using my own copy of "Sky Vistas" and risking coffee spills on it--and I needed to consult its data tables a lot this past spring when I was writing the new second edition text for "Binocular Astronomy." Fortunately Springer also gave me an unbound copy of the book.

Craig


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum
*****

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Crossen]
      #5543423 - 11/28/12 08:51 AM

Craig,

Do you have an estimate for when your new edition of Binocular Astronomy will be published?

Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel
*****

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: btschumy]
      #5543464 - 11/28/12 09:30 AM

Daniel,

"Tatter" seems like a bit of an understatement given your photograph of your Burnham last year!

Craig,

I too will buy a copy of Sky Vistas, and I look forward to your book on Lawrence.

Enjoy the night sky.

Jack


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)
*****

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5543625 - 11/28/12 10:56 AM

When Crossen's new and authentic 2nd edition of Binocular Astronomy is published, I'll always use the 1st because im reserving a list of my favorites for his new version. Once the 2nd edition is complete, I'll have the best three books of my life, Binocular Astronomy, Sky Vistas and Burnham's.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rookie
Good Night Nurse
*****

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5544256 - 11/28/12 05:26 PM

Still waiting for his Ancient Babylonian Astronomy book too. (hint, hint, not forgotten)
I will be happy to review advanced copies if necessary.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Crossen
super member
*****

Reged: 07/14/08

Loc: Vienna
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: rookie]
      #5544955 - 11/29/12 03:37 AM


Thanks for the questions. Here's where things stand on these books:

Last spring I finished the text to the authorized 2nd edition of "Binocular Astronomy". It is a little over 10% longer than the text of the 1st edition: in particular, I have added a considerable amount of constellation history information and more on the nearest stellar associations, and the Milky Way chapter has been increased from 5000 to 8000 words. I have about 2 dozen constellation history illustrations which I am dropping into the text; and Gerald Rhemann has agreed to supply astrophotos for the book.

Before I approach a publisher, I need to line up a chart-marker for the book. Bill Meyers and Daniel Mounsey has given me some good suggestions, and basically I consider that problem solved, though the design of the charts (a full-sky atlas at the back and a couple dozen finder charts for the text, as in the 1st edition) will take some time.

The real hold up at this point is the fact that early in the autumn I found a publisher for a book on the history of archaeology in Iraq on which I have been working for several years. This book is a spin-off of my interest in constellation history and was suggested to me several years ago by one of the Assyriologists at the Oriental Institute of the University of Vienna: the library at the Institute has a lot of original late-19th/early-20th century sources relevant to a book on this topic which have never been used. The book will have about 230,000 words, over 140 illustrations, and might be in print as early as next summer. However, except for the proof-reading, I will have everything done by Christmas and can return to "Binocular Astronomy." After that I can finish the Babylonian Constellation History book, about a fourth of which remains to be written.

Craig Crossen


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick Woods
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Crossen]
      #5545746 - 11/29/12 03:53 PM

Nothing like juggling several things at once!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LB16europe
super member


Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Spain
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5545843 - 11/29/12 04:59 PM

Craig, I'm quite interested in ancient Middle East history and have read a few books about it. Just as a hobby, since my profession has absolutely nothing to do with it. What I find most interesting about Middle East ancient history is the birth of writing, which to me is one of the most fundamental events in the history of humankind. So I would love to read your upcoming book, as well as the new edition of Binocular Astronomy. Please keep us updated!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound
*****

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: LB16europe]
      #5547902 - 11/30/12 09:20 PM

I have been spending the last few days with Sky Vistas since my local library has it. It really is an outstanding book. The writing is outstanding, on par with O'Meara and the layout of the book is similar to Deep Sky Wonders by Sue French. This is just as much a guide as a coffee table or cloudy night reading book.

The only minor quibble is that some of the photos in the plates are clearly film shots and they just don't have the sharpness as a CCD image, maybe it is just the size of the full paged image not printing well. I did the chuckle at a couple of the images having a comet in them though.

Anyway, I am putting this book down on my short list to get.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5548319 - 12/01/12 05:54 AM

Quote:

I have been spending the last few days with Sky Vistas since my local library has it. It really is an outstanding book. The writing is outstanding, on par with O'Meara and the layout of the book is similar to Deep Sky Wonders by Sue French. This is just as much a guide as a coffee table or cloudy night reading book.

Anyway, I am putting this book down on my short list to get.





I bought my copy of Sky Vistas two years ago. One of my best astro book purchases ever, I would buy it again at any time. Not only the writing, but also the printing and paper quality is absolutely outstanding. This book is well worth every cent of its price.

Stephan


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
auriga
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 03/02/06

Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Crossen]
      #5549158 - 12/01/12 05:52 PM

Quote:


Thanks for the questions. Here's where things stand on these books:

Last spring I finished the text to the authorized 2nd edition of "Binocular Astronomy". It is a little over 10% longer than the text of the 1st edition: in particular, I have added a considerable amount of constellation history information and more on the nearest stellar associations, and the Milky Way chapter has been increased from 5000 to 8000 words. I have about 2 dozen constellation history illustrations which I am dropping into the text; and Gerald Rhemann has agreed to supply astrophotos for the book.

Before I approach a publisher, I need to line up a chart-marker for the book. Bill Meyers and Daniel Mounsey has given me some good suggestions, and basically I consider that problem solved, though the design of the charts (a full-sky atlas at the back and a couple dozen finder charts for the text, as in the 1st edition) will take some time.

The real hold up at this point is the fact that early in the autumn I found a publisher for a book on the history of archaeology in Iraq on which I have been working for several years. This book is a spin-off of my interest in constellation history and was suggested to me several years ago by one of the Assyriologists at the Oriental Institute of the University of Vienna: the library at the Institute has a lot of original late-19th/early-20th century sources relevant to a book on this topic which have never been used. The book will have about 230,000 words, over 140 illustrations, and might be in print as early as next summer. However, except for the proof-reading, I will have everything done by Christmas and can return to "Binocular Astronomy." After that I can finish the Babylonian Constellation History book, about a fourth of which remains to be written.

Craig Crossen




Hi, Craig,
And in addiion to all that, there is your work as a professional editor of outstanding scientific books and papers
Bill


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BobinKy
Post Laureate
*****

Reged: 04/27/07

Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Crossen]
      #5551037 - 12/02/12 09:01 PM

Quote:


The real hold up at this point is the fact that early in the autumn I found a publisher for a book on the history of archaeology in Iraq on which I have been working for several years. This book is a spin-off of my interest in constellation history and was suggested to me several years ago by one of the Assyriologists at the Oriental Institute of the University of Vienna: the library at the Institute has a lot of original late-19th/early-20th century sources relevant to a book on this topic which have never been used. The book will have about 230,000 words, over 140 illustrations, and might be in print as early as next summer. . . . After that I can finish the Babylonian Constellation History book, about a fourth of which remains to be written.

Craig Crossen




Craig...

Many of us cannot wait until these two histories are finished and available to your fans in the U.S. Please keep us posted.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CounterWeight
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: BobinKy]
      #5551240 - 12/02/12 11:07 PM

I'd certinly be interested in anything of substance in the proto-Assyrian/ Chaldaen/Sumerian/Babylonian ... as a student of cuneiform in it's various incarnations something with footnoted references like that of Satye as it is a bit archaic in some ways. I have some terrible copies of precious few tablets on the subject - adding anything to the public inventory would be greatly appreciated! I know that there can be some contention on exact translation / transliteration and scribal method, but access to even mediocre imagry seems terribly difficult and makes much more than difficult to approach - as in why are these things so difficult to get access to.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Crossen
super member
*****

Reged: 07/14/08

Loc: Vienna
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5552150 - 12/03/12 02:28 PM

Quote:

I'd certainly be interested in anything of substance in the proto-Assyrian/ Chaldaen/Sumerian/Babylonian ... as a student of cuneiform in it's various incarnations something with footnoted references like that of Satye as it is a bit archaic in some ways. I have some terrible copies of precious few tablets on the subject - adding anything to the public inventory would be greatly appreciated! I know that there can be some contention on exact translation / transliteration and scribal method, but access to even mediocre imagry seems terribly difficult and makes much more than difficult to approach - as in why are these things so difficult to get access to.




You're right Jim: it's deucedly difficult for the interested amateur to find quality information about the Sumero-Babylonian constellations and star-names--especially the original cuneiform lists, which are buried in scholarly tomes with intimidating titles like "Sumerian Lexical Texts from the Temple School at Nippur" (Ed. Chiera, 1927, Chicago Oriental Institute Publication, Vol. XI.)

I got interested in constellation and star-name history in 8th grade. In the spring of 1985, while I was still living and working on the family farm in Minnesota, I read Samual Noah Kramer's 1963 book "The Sumerians". In it Kramer says that the only thing that survives from 3rd millennium BC Sumerian astronomy is a list of 25 star-names. He does not say anything more about that list--not even if it had ever been published.

Well, the next autumn I went to the University of Minnesota's main library to see if I could get a line on that list of 25 star-names. You can imagine how my heart sank when I went up to the second floor of Wilson Library and saw those scores of selves holding literally thousands of books with cuneiform texts either photographed or hand-drawn. This was hopeless. But I was there, so I took a few volumes at random off the shelves: I least I could get a better feel for what cuneiform and cuneiform texts look like. The third or fourth book I took off the shelves was "Sumerian Lexical Texts from the Temple Library of Nippur." When I came to page 109 I stopped dead: tablet 214, reverse column 6, was a list of 25 cuneifom words, most of which were preceded by a triangle of 8-pointed stars. I already knew that one 8-pointed star-symbol meant "god" or "heaven"--Could three of them together mean "star-pattern"? It was too good to be true. But it WAS true.

The Chicago Oriental Institute has "Sumerian Lexical Texts from Nippur" available for download: simply Google the book to find its PDF file. Kramer was wrong, though, because "Sumerian Lexical Texts" itself has two additional lists of Sumerian star names: they are nos. 236, column 2, and 237, column 1, on page 118.

Craig


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CounterWeight
Postmaster
*****

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Crossen]
      #5552662 - 12/03/12 07:34 PM

Craig,

Way to go! ... talk about 'good fortune!'. Lucky you didn't have to tunnel through immense amounts of volumns of tabultions of 'stores' and transactions and battle/conflict 'booty'! or tombs on morphology from x to y. I'll be all over that reference immediately after hitting the send button here - thank you very much! of course consider at least one more copy of this book you are completing to be pre-sold!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)
*****

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen [Re: Crossen]
      #5552937 - 12/03/12 09:56 PM

Craig I strongly admire your passion sir!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)
*****

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: Sky Vistas by Craig Crossen new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #5566789 - 12/11/12 11:40 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

A wonderful surprise showed up at my door. After reading the Preface, I was drawn in like few other books have been able to do. I can't say enough about the galactic perspective. Not only that, but the preface explains how we should also appreciate wide field views using RFT's and much much more. This companion can be used as an armchair read or in the field since it has tables to refer to. I love this in fact if more beginners could indulge in such work, they would have a much better perspective and appreciation of their smaller wide field scopes and binoculars. I'm going to absolutely devour this book till toothpicks are holding my eyelids up.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)


Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 7594

Jump to

CN Forums Home




Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics