Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: << 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | (show all)
droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: rwiederrich]
      #5552573 - 12/03/12 06:40 PM

I love this thread, its in my favorites list, yeah I love the looks of the observatory, but love all the pines.
Sort of a christmasy feel.
Thats one awesome telescope.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #5552589 - 12/03/12 06:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

hello, trying to work my way through all these postings!!! Great job on your OB and scope. I am in the exact place you were when you started, a scope and no observatory. So, now in the initial thinking/design stage. My observatory would measure 20x20 with 10' walls with ROR. What did you use to design your trusses? Off the shelf or engineered or?

Welcome Opticsguy.

First. I thought it out real long and wanted to save loads of money and wanted to do it myself(to do so)....As you noticed my pier is 8ft tall so the 8ft tall walls. I also needed to use dimentional lumber..so I didn't want lots of extra material I had to cut off..as you know 4x8 sheets of siding can be cut to fit an 18ft building exactly...with no left overs. Same with the studs. What I did was call a local truss engineer and had him email me the exact schematical drawings for the trusses I wanted...then I simply built them off his drawings. I didn't use the steal presses for the joints(same money) so I cut and nailed on all the joint bracing. Because the building was tall and I had a central pier to use as a scafolding base, I built my truses in place(again to save on the delivery fee)...and since my trusses are built in place, I could use a ridge cap...cuz I alwa wanted to avoid plywood sheath and 3 tab roofing(save more money and weight).

I can help you with any designs or ideas if they are found to be acceptable, just let me know.

Good luck in your design and build.

Rob

Pretty slick "using" of the truss engineer there Rob. Could we make our own dentures and save too? Mike P.S. C'mon pal I couldn't resist.

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5552780 - 12/03/12 08:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

hello, trying to work my way through all these postings!!! Great job on your OB and scope. I am in the exact place you were when you started, a scope and no observatory. So, now in the initial thinking/design stage. My observatory would measure 20x20 with 10' walls with ROR. What did you use to design your trusses? Off the shelf or engineered or?

Welcome Opticsguy.

First. I thought it out real long and wanted to save loads of money and wanted to do it myself(to do so)....As you noticed my pier is 8ft tall so the 8ft tall walls. I also needed to use dimentional lumber..so I didn't want lots of extra material I had to cut off..as you know 4x8 sheets of siding can be cut to fit an 18ft building exactly...with no left overs. Same with the studs. What I did was call a local truss engineer and had him email me the exact schematical drawings for the trusses I wanted...then I simply built them off his drawings. I didn't use the steal presses for the joints(same money) so I cut and nailed on all the joint bracing. Because the building was tall and I had a central pier to use as a scafolding base, I built my truses in place(again to save on the delivery fee)...and since my trusses are built in place, I could use a ridge cap...cuz I alwa wanted to avoid plywood sheath and 3 tab roofing(save more money and weight).

I can help you with any designs or ideas if they are found to be acceptable, just let me know.

Good luck in your design and build.

Rob

Pretty slick "using" of the truss engineer there Rob. Could we make our own dentures and save too? Mike P.S. C'mon pal I couldn't resist.

Good luck with that......call me when you need me to fix all your mistakes.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
      #5552877 - 12/03/12 09:27 PM

Good luck with that......call me when you need me to fix all your mistakes. Now that's what I call customer service!! Mike

rwiederrich
Goldfinger

Reged: 11/17/05

Loc: Always Dark skies of Belfair W...
Re: Gold Mtn Observatory [Re: mikey cee]
      #5552985 - 12/03/12 10:23 PM

Quote:

Good luck with that......call me when you need me to fix all your mistakes. Now that's what I call customer service!! Mike

Hey.....I never want to get in the way of any man wanting to try his hand at making stuff.......

But when he goes astray because his vocation involves wood and carpet..I tend to come to his aid (To fix stuff) in a hurry......

Rob(free to let folks ruin stuff I can fix)

Pages: << 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39909

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics