Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
Mr. Marbles
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/23/05

Loc: Saratoga Springs, NY
Oak Classic new
      #5552554 - 12/03/12 06:29 PM

I searched around a bit, but couldn't find my answer. Regarding the Starmaster Oak Classic, what were the details of the mirror cell? Just curious.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Re: Oak Classic new [Re: Mr. Marbles]
      #5553407 - 12/04/12 06:38 AM

Hi. What specifically do you want to know about the mirror cell? I have an Oak Classic 7/Zamubto mirror. It's a very, very nicely made open cell. As I recall they were made by a guy in Arizona...same guy that made some of the early Astro Systems focusers (Nova-Z. Arizona Astronomy Products). Was water jet cut and anodized. 3 smooth collimation screws with large black plastic knobs. No locking bolts. Good tight springs. Hum, I believe 3 blobs of silicone are used to attach the mirror to the cell. No cell edge supports are used. Singmaster of Starmaster could answer any of your questions if I (or others here online) can't.

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
Re: Oak Classic new [Re: Chucky]
      #5553451 - 12/04/12 07:21 AM

If the mirror is attached to the cell with three blobs of silicon, How do you clean the mirror?

thanks

Chucky
sage

Reged: 04/16/10

Loc: Dublin, Ohio
Re: Oak Classic [Re: BDS316]
      #5553459 - 12/04/12 07:27 AM

<< If the mirror is attached to the cell with three blobs of silicon, How do you clean the mirror? >>

It's so small and light. Just leave the mirror attached to the cell and wash/rinse that way. Piece of cake. Never had a problem.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

Re: Oak Classic new [Re: Chucky]
      #5554188 - 12/04/12 03:38 PM

Mr. Marbles, Is it that your mirror is not mounted on a mirror cell but just attached to a wood base? From what little I know, siliconing mirrors to things can have some potentially treacherous effects in terms of causing thermal changing astigmatism. If you are in that situation, talk with the scope builder. Old Coulter's reportedly used to have that challenge but the mirrors were so thick that it had less of an impact.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 618

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics