Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
chapleau

Reged: 11/01/05

Loc: Gorman, California
PSA on Kindle now?
      #5553843 - 12/04/12 11:58 AM

I just received an email from Sky and Telescope telling me that the Personal Sky Atlas (which I adore) is now on Kindle. Seems like you'd be defeating the dark adaptation, wouldn't you? Plus, the size of a Kindle is close to the PSA size. I guess it would be great for planning during the day, but I don't use my android in the field if I'm doing visual work.

Am I missing something here?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: chapleau]
      #5553847 - 12/04/12 12:03 PM

Kindles aren't backlit so you shouldn't have any issues with it from that perspective.

johntrob
sage

Reged: 03/14/11

Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: Raginar]
      #5554546 - 12/04/12 07:57 PM

Somebody, quick, try it out and of course let the rest of us know if we should buy it!

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: Raginar]
      #5554610 - 12/04/12 08:39 PM

Quote:

Kindles aren't backlit so you shouldn't have any issues with it from that perspective.

Are we talking about the Kindle Fire, or the new Kindle reader. Both are illuminated.

Fimpster
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/09

Loc: Aprox. 1 AU from Sun
Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5554878 - 12/04/12 11:57 PM

You can get the PSA on any Kindle for $9.99. The Kinde Fire and Kindle Parewhite are backlit so it would kill your dark adaptation. But the regular Kindle (just $69!) and Kindle Keyboard are not backlit and could make for a nice scope-side chart. You could even load it up with Tri-Atlas or other Taki's Star Atlas too.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: Fimpster]
      #5554914 - 12/05/12 12:26 AM

I have a regular Kindle; but really don't see the advantage over the "paper" PSA (which I also have).

frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5554999 - 12/05/12 02:21 AM

call me new school or whatnot but i don't get why you'd want to pay 10 dollars for a paper atlas on an electronic device considering that for 15 dollars you could buy sky safari plus for android or iOS devices and have a much more powerful tool on your device.

and for those who bought a kindle fire, remember its an android device, amazon just modified the OS and locked it down to their liking sort of like what apple likes to do. the good news is you can root it and get a real android OS on it and then your off and running. another huge plus at least on android devices is you only have to pay for an app once. once its paid for on your account you can install it on as many android devices you own and have that google account linked to and yes you can have multiple devices running it at the same time with zero licensing problems from either the author (southern stars) and the vendor (google)

Edited by frito (12/05/12 02:23 AM)

FarrOut
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Tampa
Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: johntrob]
      #5556055 - 12/05/12 05:38 PM

Quote:

Somebody, quick, try it out and of course let the rest of us know if we should buy it!

OK, I bought it but it doesn't work on original Kindle. Amazon did allow me to get a refund.
Someone else will have to try it on another model.

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: FarrOut]
      #5556330 - 12/05/12 08:05 PM

Thanks for trying it FarrOut.

johntrob
sage

Reged: 03/14/11

Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: FarrOut]
      #5556331 - 12/05/12 08:05 PM

Did they say which kindle it does work on?

IcecreamLtDan

Reged: 06/21/12

Loc: Jacksonville, N.C.
Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: johntrob]
      #5556483 - 12/05/12 09:42 PM

The Kindle Paperwhite is not backlit, it is an Eink device with LED's around the edge that can front light the device, it's Amazon's version of the Nook with glowlight and Kobo Glo. The light can be switched on or off as needed. Reading on an Eink device is much like reading a book, you need light in which to read by. I would think running this on a Kindle Paperwhite would be fine, but you would need something to illuminate it in the dark as the built in light would be way too bright, a red light would probably work just fine.

My only question would be to know what format it's sold in. Eink readers are notoriously horrible for PDF files and I imagine that this is a PDF file. If that's the case, I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: IcecreamLtDan]
      #5556554 - 12/05/12 10:20 PM

I'm a techie but I prefer a red light and the book. If it displays properly the paper white with red light sounds ideal.

I've read recently that sky safari (which does have night mode as mentiioned) will not run on a Kindle fire.,, (although I suppose it should if rooted as mentioned.)

I just like the book myself when outside.. And not terribly worried if it gets Dewey

frito
Pooh-Bah

Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: lamplight]
      #5556631 - 12/05/12 11:00 PM

Quote:

I'm a techie but I prefer a red light and the book. If it displays properly the paper white with red light sounds ideal.

I've read recently that sky safari (which does have night mode as mentiioned) will not run on a Kindle fire.,, (although I suppose it should if rooted as mentioned.)

I just like the book myself when outside.. And not terribly worried if it gets Dewey

the reason it won't run on a stock kindle fire is because the kindle fire out of the box is a heavily modified android tablet. you root it and replace its software with standard android tablet software and you can run anything you want on it pretty much. the reason this even happened was because of the fire's great value, once google dropped the nexus 7 at basically the same price point and designed to directly compete with it but without the silly restrictions its the tablet to buy if your in the market for a budget android tablet.

Edited by frito (12/05/12 11:02 PM)

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: frito]
      #5556800 - 12/06/12 02:05 AM

I just got a low end Lenovo (7") that's pretty cool and great size for reading novels (better than ipad).I read that about sky safari and decided to go the low end Lenovo as I wasn't sure. Same price, about $160. I'm finding the onscreen keyboard sucks so bad compared to iPad which I also have. Will give android to wife I guess

frito
Pooh-Bah

Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: lamplight]
      #5556829 - 12/06/12 02:47 AM

well unless its a problem with the actual screens sensitivity (tell me its not a resistive touch screen is it?) on android your not stuck with the stock keyboard. there are many out there, some of the best are swiftkey and swype. i used to use swype all the time on my nexus one. if you get proficient with it there is no more taping its all swiping through words on the keyboard and it predicts them rather well after awhile of learning your style.

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
      #5556998 - 12/06/12 07:45 AM

The problem I have with most e-readers is that they don't work well with books that you'd
like to flip through. Linear reading yes, flipping, no. (For me anyway.) I enjoy my e-readers, but the printed book format has been around for a long time for good reasons.

Doc Willie
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: jgraham]
      #5557018 - 12/06/12 08:05 AM

Anybody know if this will work on the Blackberry Playbook?

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5557223 - 12/06/12 10:25 AM

Dwayne i dont know if it is i will check. you're thinking i should return if so? i am not up on the screen types (other than knowing ipad retina display is really good but a high power drain). the 7" is a good size for books though so i will probably just keep it, was cheap... though if i can root the kindle fire to run sky safari i did like its design better so i would return it for that.. anyone know , actually put sky safari on rooted kindle fire?

yes i put a couple new KB's on last night .. the stock ones prediction and autocorrect is a joke.. ive never seen anything so bad... very strange.. will try ones you recommend.

I just did a quick search for kindle app on blackberry playbook and it looks like they do have it, so yes it would work. just find/install kindle app on your playbook (free)

csa/montana
Den Mama

#5557224 - 12/06/12 10:26 AM

Quote:

the reason it won't run on a stock kindle fire is because the kindle fire out of the box is a heavily modified android tablet. you root it and replace its software with standard android tablet software

Many, including myself, do not have to knowledge to "root" it.

That's why I now have a Acer Netbook to use in the observatory.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Re: PSA on Kindle now? new [Re: Doc Willie]
      #5557234 - 12/06/12 10:32 AM

Quote:

Anybody know if this will work on the Blackberry Playbook?

Don't know if the PSA has been brought up here, but there is a forum dedicated to computers and astro programs.

AstronomySoftware&Computers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1214

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics