Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
Dennis_S253
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: West Central Florida
inner and outer focus different
      #5554746 - 12/04/12 10:12 PM

I try reading proceedures but I don't find the answers I'm looking for. If my inner focus looks really good and then I start going to focus things start looking bad and as I go to outer focus I'm way off, what does that mean?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dave brock
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/06/08

Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand
Re: inner and outer focus different new [Re: Dennis_S253]
      #5554952 - 12/05/12 12:59 AM

We need a more detailed description of exactly how the inner and outer focus images look.

Dave

Dennis_S253
Pooh-Bah

Re: inner and outer focus different new [Re: dave brock]
      #5555348 - 12/05/12 09:33 AM

OK, I'll try.
When in outer focus, perfect donut, diffactions rings look picture perfect. As I start going toward focus I start seeing spikes to one side. Then when going to inner focus, I no longer have a perfect donut. If I make adjustments to make the donut perfect, then when I go to focus I start seeing spiking and as I go to outer focus it's not a donut again. It's like I'm chasing my own tail.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: inner and outer focus different new [Re: Dennis_S253]
      #5555421 - 12/05/12 10:25 AM

Quote:

OK, I'll try.
When in outer focus, perfect donut, diffactions rings look picture perfect. As I start going toward focus I start seeing spikes to one side. Then when going to inner focus, I no longer have a perfect donut. If I make adjustments to make the donut perfect, then when I go to focus I start seeing spiking and as I go to outer focus it's not a donut again. It's like I'm chasing my own tail.

The Celestron 150HD is what Celestron calls a "Hybrid Newtonianin." These use a fast primary mirror, probably spherical, and a corrector to increase the effective focal length. However, unlike the typical Short Tube/Jones-Bird, I believe the corrector is mounted to the primary mirror side of the secondary mirror so that it sits between the secondary mirror and the primary mirror. Adjusting the tilt of the secondary also adjusts the tilt of the corrrector.

Collimating these scopes is somewhat different than collimating a standard Newtonian...

Jon

Dennis_S253
Pooh-Bah

Re: inner and outer focus different new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5555485 - 12/05/12 11:04 AM

Yes, I would agree Jon. Does anyone know where instructions can be found for this scope?

Pages: 1

Extra information
29 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Knuklhdastrnmr, Phillip Creed, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 411

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics