Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
Centaur
Vendor

Reged: 07/12/04

Loc: Chicago
Jupiter Approaches Opposition from the Sun new
      #5532902 - 11/21/12 08:13 PM

Giant Jupiter has entered our evening skies as it grows in brilliance prior to its opposition from the Sun on 2012 DEC 02. Each day I update my timetable and array diagram for events involving Jupiterís four Galilean satellites. Preview graphics are presented for shadow transits.

My more detailed article describing the current Jupiter apparition along with more Jovian graphics and data can be found at: www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter

Descriptions and photos of Jupiter and its satellites would be welcome additions to this thread.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Centaur
Vendor

Re: Jupiter Approaches Opposition from the Sun new [Re: Centaur]
      #5547303 - 11/30/12 02:13 PM

During the nights surrounding Jupiter's opposition, the transiting satellites will partially occult their transiting shadows. That will be the case this evening for Io and its shadow. This due to the Earth currently appearing near conjunction with the Sun as viewed from Jupiter. The alignment could lead to some interesting photos. My preview graphics and timetable for tonightís event and later ones can be found at: www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter Approaches Opposition from the Sun new [Re: Centaur]
      #5550253 - 12/02/12 12:22 PM

Curt, thank you. Just had the most amazing Jupiter opposition ever. Ganymede emerged from behind the limb, clean as a whistle. Beautiful sight.

bassplayer142
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/03/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: Jupiter Approaches Opposition from the Sun new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5551929 - 12/03/12 12:15 PM

The only opposition around here is the clouds as fog...

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Jupiter Approaches Opposition from the Sun new [Re: bassplayer142]
      #5553696 - 12/04/12 10:24 AM

Cloudy all day yesterday, but cleared up at dusk.
Wife and I took quick peeks at Jupiter and moons with my ST80. I was pleased to see some nice detail with my 8.8ES82 eyepiece (45x).

I bet it would have been amazing with my 8" scope, but there wasn't enough time before the football game for set-up and cool down

Cheers,
David

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Re: Jupiter Approaches Opposition from the Sun new [Re: Widespread]
      #5554494 - 12/04/12 07:27 PM

Curt,
Is it possible for the bright transiting moon to just momentarily occult its shadow. On Dec 2nd, I was watching an bright/shadow transit of (I think) Europa and momentarily saw a bright flash of light within the dark shadow. Just lasted for a moment though. Could it have been the moon itself I momentarily saw in the transiting shadow?

/Ira

Centaur
Vendor

Re: Jupiter Approaches Opposition from the Sun [Re: Ira]
      #5554916 - 12/05/12 12:32 AM

Quote:

Is it possible for the bright transiting moon to just momentarily occult its shadow. On Dec 2nd, I was watching an bright/shadow transit of (I think) Europa and momentarily saw a bright flash of light within the dark shadow. Just lasted for a moment though. Could it have been the moon itself I momentarily saw in the transiting shadow?

Ira, if you mean during the middle of the night of December 2-3 Israeli time, those were Io and its shadow transiting. Only a crescent of the shadow would have been visible as it appeared to hug the north limb of Io. This would have been the case during the entire two-hour transit, not merely for a moment.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 777

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics