Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
FaronD
sage

Reged: 03/25/10

Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Astro-Physics Rumblepad Control
      #5554921 - 12/05/12 12:36 AM

Coming from an EQ6 controlled via EQmod, I was wondering if there was a way to adapt the Logitech RumblePad to the AP Ascom driver? The hand controller works great for jogging the mount, the directional pad in the AP driver not so much. It seems to stick on the down button and overshoot.

I'm trying to figure out a way to use my laptop for the polar alignment routine without blinding everyone. Normally my laptop is shielded in a small tent away from view. Right now I have to move my laptop within reach of the HC to move the scope. It's fine for now at home but during the spring to fall outings, this won't be tolerated.

Thanks,
Faron

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
Re: Astro-Physics Rumblepad Control new [Re: FaronD]
      #5555665 - 12/05/12 01:12 PM

I don't understand the question. You can polar align the Mach1GTO using the keypad alone.

Mike Wiles
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: Goodyear, AZ
Re: Astro-Physics Rumblepad Control new [Re: Calypte]
      #5555707 - 12/05/12 01:43 PM

Yep, you can polar align with just the keypad. I align as well with the laptop....red acrylic plastic cut to fit the screen does a great job of keeping nearby astronomers happy.

Mike

EddWen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

#5555722 - 12/05/12 01:52 PM

The slew rates can be adjusted with the keypad.

Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Astro-Physics Rumblepad Control new [Re: EddWen]
      #5555750 - 12/05/12 02:14 PM

My guess is the OP is using either a computer assisted polar alignment routine or just keeping his camera hooked up to the scope during PA.

You can buy a red screen cover or download Backyard Red (software solution). Backyard Red isn't perfect, but it kills a lot of the glare.

FaronD
sage

Re: Astro-Physics Rumblepad Control new [Re: Footbag]
      #5556547 - 12/05/12 10:14 PM

Quote:

My guess is the OP is using either a computer assisted polar alignment routine or just keeping his camera hooked up to the scope during PA.

You can buy a red screen cover or download Backyard Red (software solution). Backyard Red isn't perfect, but it kills a lot of the glare.

Adam you are correct in both cases. I use a laptop for polar alignment and I have the camera on during that time as well. It looks like I can use a hand controller extension cable. Anyone using this extension cable? Is it a standard RS232 serial cable that can be purchased at a local computer store?

Thanks,
Faron

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

#5556636 - 12/05/12 11:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Adam you are correct in both cases. I use a laptop for polar alignment and I have the camera on during that time as well. It looks like I can use a hand controller extension cable. Anyone using this extension cable? Is it a standard RS232 serial cable that can be purchased at a local computer store?

Thanks,
Faron

Have you looked at the connector on the end of the hand controller? Does it look like it would be something available at a local computer store?

FaronD
sage

Re: Astro-Physics Rumblepad Control new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5556708 - 12/06/12 12:15 AM

No, it doesn't look like it at all, I was recalling the two RS232 ports for computer control. I found the proper cable on Astro-physics site, it's called CABKEY. If I do need it they will make a custom length cable.

Actually, I'm getting by with the Ascom keypad tonight quite fine. The first couple of times I tried it the software keypad was sticking causing the mount to overshoot. Windows on my laptop did a major software update tonight, even my Starrynight Pro is controlling the mount fine now. I had given up on it and was using another planetarium program.

Faron

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

#5556744 - 12/06/12 12:55 AM

Good to hear that ASCOM with the AP driver is working well. I haven't had the problem you described and was wondering if you had the "button" drive rate set too fast in the driver. Apparently it is working now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 663

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics