Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
FrankG

Reged: 07/13/04

Loc: Richmond, Va.
Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft new [Re: Bob S.]
      #5550263 - 12/02/12 12:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Very nice! What is that thingy abouve the focuser? It looks like another focuser.....

You can never have enough focusers Actually it is a 1.25"-2" holster for placement of my Mallincam when it is out of the focuser. The 1.25" portion of the holder is a Baader Clic-Lock device that requires just a slight turn of the knurled nob to secure the camera. You are also probably wondering about the turnbuckle on the front of the rockerbox/mirror box. That is used in conjunction with two sliding bolts on the rear of the mirror box that go into the rocker box to place it in an upright position to simply lean the telescope over and wheel it out to my observing site. The axles have quick release pins that allow the wheels to come off and the axle to be removed. However, you can observe with the wheels attached.

Bob,
What does the 1.25" Clic-Lock sit in and how did you mount it to the UTA, is a 2" focuser of some sort?
Thanks,
Frank

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft new [Re: FrankG]
      #5550319 - 12/02/12 01:06 PM Attachment (72 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Very nice! What is that thingy abouve the focuser? It looks like another focuser.....

You can never have enough focusers Actually it is a 1.25"-2" holster for placement of my Mallincam when it is out of the focuser. The 1.25" portion of the holder is a Baader Clic-Lock device that requires just a slight turn of the knurled nob to secure the camera. You are also probably wondering about the turnbuckle on the front of the rockerbox/mirror box. That is used in conjunction with two sliding bolts on the rear of the mirror box that go into the rocker box to place it in an upright position to simply lean the telescope over and wheel it out to my observing site. The axles have quick release pins that allow the wheels to come off and the axle to be removed. However, you can observe with the wheels attached.

Bob,
What does the 1.25" Clic-Lock sit in and how did you mount it to the UTA, is a 2" focuser of some sort?
Thanks,
Frank

Frank, That is a holster for my Mallincam astrovideo cameras when I have to take them out of the focuser. The picture below shows a Mallincam in the holster of the UTA.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5550321 - 12/02/12 01:11 PM Attachment (95 downloads)

Astro Buds: One of the very cool features of the UTA and something that has caused many of us some pause is the flexing of the focuser board in the UTA. Pratte decided to reinforce the relatively thick focuser board with metal strapping that you will see below. He also used seperate struts for the spider vanes and seperate struts to keep the UTA rings stable. The spider vane struts also add increased stability of the UTA rings.

FrankG

#5550336 - 12/02/12 01:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bob,
Thanks,
Frank

Frank, That is a holster for my Mallincam astrovideo cameras when I have to take them out of the focuser. The picture below shows a Mallincam in the holster of the UTA.

Right, I understand its a holster for the Mallincam -- what is the base -- the part the Cic-Lock sits in -- made from, a focuser, was it custom-built?
Thanks,
Frank

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft new [Re: FrankG]
      #5550337 - 12/02/12 01:21 PM

The base was a part from the folks at Starlight Instruments.

FrankG

#5550339 - 12/02/12 01:22 PM

Gracias

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
      #5550371 - 12/02/12 01:46 PM

Quote:

That is one fancy-looking UTA! Looks like it could double as a control board for an Apollo landing craft

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft new [Re: tezster]
      #5550410 - 12/02/12 02:09 PM Attachment (80 downloads)

Frank, Here are the holster components. It allows for either 1.25" or 2" items to be placed in the holster.

Edited by Bob S. (12/02/12 02:37 PM)

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5550420 - 12/02/12 02:12 PM Attachment (81 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

That is one fancy-looking UTA! Looks like it could double as a control board for an Apollo landing craft

Terence, If you think that is wild, here is just a preview of the rocker box that incorporates machined corner braces and biscuit joinery along with a Gen III ServoCat install. You can barely see the stalk on the opposite side from the focuser that will hold my ultra book computer, wired and wireless remote controls, heater for the laptop screen, 12v converter to drive the ultrabook and God knows whatelse?

Edited by Bob S. (12/02/12 02:14 PM)

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5550441 - 12/02/12 02:23 PM Attachment (108 downloads)

Terence, I used to be a professional pilot many years ago so will strap in and take this baby for a ride (I actually had fantasies of installing an integral observing chair and having the scope counterbalanced so I could simply move with the telescope). Here is a better picture of the control stalk and then I will show one more with a mockup of the control panel. You will notice that all power to the scope comes in at one of two powered groundboard sockets that are on either side of the telescope. I chose two power inlet options because I primarily view things coming up from the East and wanted the input power cord on the opposite side from where I am sitting. If I want to spend most of my time viewing to the West, I can power the scope on the opposite side and thereby avoid any entanglement with the one and only power cord powering all of the doodads on the scope.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5550445 - 12/02/12 02:25 PM Attachment (93 downloads)

This is a mockup of the control panel. I will have to create a checklist not unlike an aircraft to get my procedures down so that I can control the scope via the ultrabook's planetarium software that will interface with the ArgoNavis and also the Mallincam astrovideo camera. We have tried to think of everything and a friend mentioned that the glass screens were prone to dewing up. We will be building a metal hood surrounding the instrument panel that will be cork-lined and also have a heating element for the glass screen on the computer monitor so that it will not dew up. The hood will also screen any light from the telescope so that my astrovideo or visual activities will not be disturbed by ambient light. I can put a cloth shield over the hood opening to block any stray light from entering an observing site if I am at a dark site. The control panel was purposely placed on the opposite side from the focuser because this will be a total sit down scope and I did not want any podium/control panel to be anywhere near where I was sitting/observing. I will have the wireless remote control around my neck or somewhere so that I can manually move the scope with the controller without have to get off my chair.

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
      #5550932 - 12/02/12 07:54 PM

What I like about this scope is that, despite all the 'stuff' attached, everything has its place and is neatly connected. I was about the ask about the wireless control, but you already mentioned the wireless control (although I was kind of thinking more about a wireless DSC connection i.e. to a tablet PC. I'm always a fan of seated observing (with feet on the ground), and this looks like the ultimate sit-down scope.

Something else I wanted to ask is, is a field-derotator needed with alt-az tracking, considering the short exposure times of a Mallincam?

astrocrafter
Vendor (JP Astrocraft)

Reged: 11/24/10

#5550998 - 12/02/12 08:37 PM

The nice base for the holster is a 3.5" focuser end cap from Starlight. I removed 3 set screws in the base, drilled out the threads, and put a flat spotface on the holes as the base has a slight taper there, and presto! A slick looking 2" holster. Holds an extra eyepiece for visual observing too.
John

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft new [Re: astrocrafter]
      #5551161 - 12/02/12 10:11 PM

Terence, The Mallincam exposures will generally be no more than about 30-45 second integrations. In that short of an accumulation time of the image, in most directions, the stars will not show much if any field rotation. I am glad that John, the scope designer/builder, jumped in on the fabrication of the 3.5" holster. About the only thing I can create is a wish list. He fortunately has the skills to operationalize the dreams<g>. Bob

FrankG

#5551543 - 12/03/12 05:54 AM

Thanks, Bob!

fnowat

Reged: 06/12/12

Loc: N.E. Illinois (Chicago suburbs...
Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft [Re: FrankG]
      #5554958 - 12/05/12 01:05 AM

Impressive!! I can imagine the b/w classic film of Frankenstein and you wearing your white over-coat (smock)rubbing your hands together and as lighting strikes your lab above you, you chuckle in an evil way..."it's alive...IT'S ALIVE!!!" in the near future.

Nice story in the making. Impressive ingenuity in your build!

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: First Light On My 20" f/3 Lockwood/JP Astrocraft new [Re: fnowat]
      #5556197 - 12/05/12 06:56 PM Attachment (81 downloads)

We are getting to the shorter strokes on this build. John Pratte just sent me a picture of the mirror box cover that will install with or without the front fan installed. You will notice two sets of tabs in the two corners of the mirror box. The lower set of tabs dimensionally holds the front fan frame down securely. The second set of tabs holds the mirror cover in place over the installed front fan. If I choose to not have the fan there, the cover is secured by what ordinarily will hold the fan frame. The reason for the trimmed corner edges on the mirror cover is that you have to do this to be able to get the cover out when you have the trusses installed. John advised me that we have gone to a heavier gauge wire and getting the tension correct is like collimating a piano, uh, I mean telescope<g>. In the upper right hand corner is the female RCA power outlet for the front fan that you simply plug into when utilizing the front fan. To say that I am getting excited would be a very gross understatement of how I am feeling

Edited by Bob S. (12/05/12 07:05 PM)

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5557898 - 12/06/12 05:10 PM Attachment (100 downloads)

As many of you know, when you are dealing with large/thin mirrors such as I am with the 20" f/3 being only 1.25" thick, you need a superlative mirror cell to prevent cell-induced abberations. Below is a picture of John Pratte with the mirror cell that he fabricated for the scope. The pads are riding on spherical bearings and the lower edge supports have rotating bearing surfaces to insure that there is no induced astigmatism from the cell. The cell was tested with the partially completed mirror at Lockwood's shop to check for any stig and there was no appreciable stig to be seen. You will also notice behind John is a 42" cell that is nearing completion. John can build them up to 60" (kind of makes my 20" look puny). For those of you contemplating custom scopes, I highly recommend that you insure that your mirror cell is up to the job that you are asking of it. Especially when the scope is approaching the horizontal position. Just about any mirror cell works when the scope is vertical. It is when there are tortional forces at play that the cell can either work for you or against you.

You can also see the rear sucking fan of the CBLMS (Comprehensive Boundary Layer Mitigation System) that has the Maglev fan suspended in sorbothane and sandwiched between support substructure that John used rivets to hold everything tight without inducing vibrations. BTW, the cell has built-in contact points that when installed in the scope transfer power from the ground board up to the rest of the scope. Bob

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5557917 - 12/06/12 05:19 PM Attachment (88 downloads)

Here is a close up pic of this beautiful mirror cell. As many will tell you, it is all in the details.

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

#5557952 - 12/06/12 05:33 PM Attachment (122 downloads)

This was a second-light picture of the scope back in the shop. The cast of characters from left to right is: John Pratte (Owner of JP Astrocraft), Bob Schilling (the bald/short scope developer), Bob From Illinois, Mike Lockwood (Owner of Lockwood Optics). You can see the early detail of the control table on the non-focuser side of the scope. This has a shield being built for it to house the ultrabook and keep it warm while preventing stray light. You can also see that beautiful 5" Lockwood secondary that as you know, is half of the optical train. My advice is, don't cheap out on the secondary

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17878

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics