Astrophotography and Sketching >> CCD Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
shams42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/09

Loc: Kingsport, TN
Re: Parsec 8300M Sudden Blooming new [Re: Paramount]
      #5562462 - 12/09/12 01:31 PM

I once had a QHY9 with a shutter problem -- it looked very much like this. The "blooms" weren't perfectly straight. I think it's a problem with the camera.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Uptmor

Reged: 02/16/10

#5563742 - 12/10/12 08:47 AM

Looks like it will be clear tonight (and the next couple nights). Will try to troubleshoot and report what happens.

Jared
Postmaster

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.
Re: Parsec 8300M Sudden Blooming new [Re: Uptmor]
      #5564110 - 12/10/12 12:53 PM

Bound to be a shutter problem. The odds of the mount being the issue seem very low to me--how would you get the perfect, vertical orientation of the "blooms"? I suspect your shutter is just sticking open sometimes, and since the 8300 is a full frame chip (no electronic shutter), as the rows are read out and charge is transferred to the next row, you keep accumulating light in each row during the download period.

Alfredo Beltran
sage

Reged: 08/01/10

Loc: Bogota, Colombia
Re: Parsec 8300M Sudden Blooming new [Re: Jared]
      #5564161 - 12/10/12 01:10 PM

Does anybody kno what kind of shutter does the Parsec have? Is it an even illumination shutter as in the Sbig and QSI, or an iris shutter?

Best regards

Alfredo

Uptmor

#5567822 - 12/12/12 03:18 PM

Well, it looks like the issue may have been caused by a 'jumping' mount. We have a CGE-Pro and the RA axis seems to be very sensitive to the amount of tension in the clutch knobs. They need to be just barely finger tight, or the RA 'ticks' and throws off the image. The tighter they are, the worse the jump. As the temperature goes down, the bolts will actually tighten up and it will start to jump. If I slightly loosen them, the problem goes away. From the forums I have read, it may be an issue with the motor to worm gear pressure (too tight). We will open up the mount and take a look when the weather warms up....

Uptmor

#5568954 - 12/13/12 10:29 AM

OK, you all are right. It is something going on with the shutter. Here is what happened last night:
1) I did a bunch of images to align the mount and focus (no problems)
2) Started my imaging routine (a set of 15 min exposures). The first image came back with the anomaly.
3) I reduced the exposure time to 1 second. The anomaly continued.
4) I went out and rotated the camera. The anomaly rotated with the camera (thus, it is happening at the camera).
5) I thought maybe this may be occurring due to my USB setup (16' active usb repeater to powered usb hub to camera). So, I brought my laptop out to the pier and removed the active repeater. I plugged the hub in to the laptop. The issue still was occurring.
6) I thought maybe it was a power issue to the camera. So replaced the AC adapter and used a straight 12V power to the camera. When I did that, I noticed the shutter did not give me the regular 'double click' that it should when powered up.. That is odd I thought..
7) I took an exposure.. no surprise, the issue was still there.
8) I decided to put the AC power back on the camera. When doing that, I unplugged the USB from the camera and plugged it back in. When I put the AC power back on, everything reset! Exposures looked great after that. I was tired an frustrated, so I shut it down and went to bad after that.

One thing I want to bring up, the last time this occured, my buddy just unplugged the USB from the camera and plugged it back in, and the issue corrected itself.. I didn't think of this last night (or I would have tried trouble shooting it), but do you think it could be a function of the powered hub or cable? Do you think the CCD and shutter are powered by the USB and something is going wrong there?

Uptmor

#5568961 - 12/13/12 10:32 AM

Oh, forgot to mention (and very important). After step #6 (power replacement with no shutter noise), I noticed I could not hear the shutter activating with exposures. Once I unplugged the USB from the camera, the shutter came back. It could definitely be the camera, but am a little curious why removing the USB from the camera (and not the power) would resolve it.

Uptmor

Re: Parsec 8300M Sudden Blooming new [Re: shams42]
      #5568966 - 12/13/12 10:34 AM

Did your QHY9 need work done to it to resolve? How much did that run you?

morten

Reged: 07/22/08

Loc: Denmark
      #5569088 - 12/13/12 11:39 AM

I had an Atik383+ with exactly the same problem (looked the same too). I don't think it is likely that there is a software solution to it. The shutter hardware has to be replaced, I'm afraid. Try to watch the window during some test exposures, you can directly see the shutter beeing sluggish.

Uptmor

Re: Parsec 8300M Sudden Blooming new [Re: morten]
      #5569101 - 12/13/12 11:46 AM

Thank you Morten. I'm thinking the camera needs work.. bummer. Not sure how much this will run me ($). It is out of warranty.

shams42
Pooh-Bah

#5570009 - 12/13/12 09:43 PM

Quote:

Did your QHY9 need work done to it to resolve? How much did that run you?

All I had to do was disassemble the camera and reassemble it. This is what QHY support advised. The QHY9 is built on two PCBs that attach to one another via connector that is seated when the two PCBs are assembled into the case. Reseating that connector fixed the problem with my camera.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5570191 - 12/14/12 12:15 AM

I agree with the previous assessments it's a shutter problem. There was a very similar post in the Atik forum a while ago and it was about the 383 camera which has the same sensor and a shutter.

Andy

Uptmor

Re: Parsec 8300M Sudden Blooming new [Re: andysea]
      #5648126 - 01/28/13 01:07 PM

Well, just wanted to give everyone an update.
Orion sent the Parsec back untouched, as they said they will not fix any Parsec cameras as of about a month ago. If you are out of warranty, and your ccd breaks for some reason, Orion will not support you. Unless you can fix it yourself, you have an expensive paper weight.
My suggestion, NOBODY should purchase any of the Orion CCD products. As soon as they go out of warranty, you are hosed.
Just bought an SBIG ST-8300M like I should have to begin with..

shams42
Pooh-Bah

#5649021 - 01/28/13 07:24 PM

Wow, that's awful! I hope the SBIG works for you. At least you can rest assured that they stand behind their product.

RandallK
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada
      #5649579 - 01/29/13 12:46 AM

There's too many incidents of equipment failure that is "just out of warranty". If the companies that sell this (somewhat expensive) stuff don't follow up with any satisfaction, then the manufacturer should be traced down and take responsibility for the faulty device. My neighbour next door got a 55" big screen from a well known manufacturer. He had a 2 year extended warranty. On the week of the 3rd year....toast and no resolve. The only thing you can do is to bad mouth amongst club members or your cirlce of friends. (We won't do it here on the forum).
I fully sympathize with you and I would refrain from buying from any vendor in the future that deals that way.

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Parsec 8300M Sudden Blooming new [Re: RandallK]
      #5649632 - 01/29/13 02:02 AM

Check the law, some countries have laws that the manufacturer has to stand behind their product and provide repair services for a certain number of years after selling the product even if at a fee. At least if you repair it you can sell it.

flolic

Reged: 10/01/07

Loc: Split, Croatia
Re: Parsec 8300M Sudden Blooming new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5650728 - 01/29/13 04:50 PM

Uptmor, if you want to sell your broken camera, I am interested

Uptmor

Re: Parsec 8300M Sudden Blooming new [Re: flolic]
      #5677324 - 02/13/13 09:55 AM

Sorry, already sold it
BTW, the SBIG is friggin awesome. A Ferrari compared to the Parsec (a Kia).
Clear skies!
Ryan

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Oldfield, droid, Scott in NC, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2152

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics