Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Driven1

Reged: 08/19/10

Loc: N. Central PA near CSSP
Meade LXD 55 10"
      #5555287 - 12/05/12 08:44 AM

Found an awesome deal on a Meade LXD 10". OTA only though. Anyone have any experience with the quality of the OTA and any quirks it might have? I already know about the issues with the mounts that came with these originally. I'm thinking about making a Dob style mount for it until I can find a good mount for it. At the price that the seller's asking, I think this would be hard to pass up. Brand new. Never been used.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: Meade LXD 55 10" new [Re: Driven1]
      #5555467 - 12/05/12 10:53 AM

That's a great OTA! I have the SN10's little sibling, the SN6. Replacing the focusser is a popular option, though I still use the stock focuser on both of mine. Also, plan on making a dew shield.

Have fun!

Driven1

Re: Meade LXD 55 10" new [Re: jgraham]
      #5556115 - 12/05/12 06:15 PM

Thanks Mr. Graham. Anyone else?

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
      #5556373 - 12/05/12 08:31 PM

I'm doing exactly that with my LXD55 10" SN - making it into a dobsonian. The optics are great and, if you have one with the UHTC coatings, perform very well on deep sky objects. Best view I have had of M 31 was with this OTA and a 16mm Nagler. They perform okay on the planets as well if you spend some time on collimation which they hold very well. I replaced the stock focuser with a Moonlight kit made for them and that was the best thing I could have done. The stock focuser in a R&P and shows a lot of image shift when changing directions. Aside from the focuser, the only other issue I have is that the paint on my tube is cracking and coming off in big thick flakes. And, oh yes, you will need a dew cap!

Driven1

Re: Meade LXD 55 10" new [Re: Dwight J]
      #5556472 - 12/05/12 09:35 PM

Thanks guys! Based on your replies, a little research on my own, and an unbelievable price for a 10", I snagged it. Not sure if it has UHTC or not. But at this price I'm not gonna worry about it. Found it on Craigslist. I know you're curious. $130!!! Will be picking it up Sunday.

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

#5556500 - 12/05/12 09:54 PM

You stole it at that price!

Driven1

#5556571 - 12/05/12 10:29 PM

I "almost" feel ashamed.

Mokudo48

Reged: 09/28/12

#5561957 - 12/09/12 07:53 AM

I, likewise, recently picked up an SN-10 OTA at a similarly rediculous price and I, too, am considering making a Dobsonian mount. An appropriately sized GEM is just prohibitively expensive. I'd really appreciate coordinating with you both on dimensions, specs, and materials. I cautiously mount it on a CG-4 that I purchased for an SN-6, which is a great pairing, but the SN-10 is like an elephant on a mouse.

Thanks,
Luca

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Meade LXD 55 10" new [Re: Mokudo48]
      #5562098 - 12/09/12 09:56 AM

Luca Welcome to our site. I hope you get the information you need here

Geo557
Astro-Scout

Reged: 10/10/07

Loc: SE GA
Re: Meade LXD 55 10" new [Re: panhard]
      #5562209 - 12/09/12 11:03 AM

An SN10 for $130? A real steal for sure.

SeattleScott
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/14/11

Re: Meade LXD 55 10" new [Re: Geo557]
      #5562260 - 12/09/12 11:30 AM

I had the 8" version. You wouldn't want to use it on the original LXD55 mount but the LXD75 or CG5 would do a decent job with it (of course either option will cost you considerably more than the telescope). The shorter tube and more central balance point help with stability compared to other 10" reflectors. However there is still the tube rotation issue, which the Dob mount would solve. Given these scopes are best suited for low power, wide field viewing, a Dob mount makes a lot of sense. Just keep in mind the tube is shorter than most 10" Dob tubes so you may want to compensate by making the Dob mount taller to raise the viewing position. But the more you raise the mount, the less stable it will be I would think.

When figuring the balance point, make sure to put the dew shield on and put an eyepiece in the focuser. And if you can, put an ES 24mm 82* eyepiece in the focuser Awesome with that scope.

Driven1

Re: Meade LXD 55 10" new [Re: SeattleScott]
      #5563196 - 12/09/12 09:41 PM

UPDATE: Picked it up today and it is in MINT condition AND it is UHTC! Still can't believe I picked it up at that price. Super freakin' happy camper here!

There's another little part of this story that's gonna twist your brain. Remember it was OTA only? I found out that's because he THREW OUT, yes, as in trash, the mount. He said at 80lbs, it was too heavy to lug around and threw it out. My brain's still reeling from that one!

@Scott - Thanks. As far as the Dob mount design, I'm going to build pretty much as you described with the additional height. I figure a good sturdy base, and wide design should counteract the bulk of this massive OTA. Thanks for the balancing and EP tips!

@Luca - Probably be a little bit before I get to building the mount. I'll start a new thread for that when I get started. And congrats on finding a great deal too!

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #5563859 - 12/10/12 10:01 AM

Driven1,
You get the OFFICIAL "you suck" $130 for an SN10 IS a steal. I'm making a set of "lazy susan" rings for mine. A set of Bob's Knobs will do wonders for ya too.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Driven1

Re: Meade LXD 55 10" new [Re: Startraffic]
      #5564371 - 12/10/12 03:21 PM

@ Star traffic - Bwaaaa haaa has ha!!! Got a good laugh. Thanks!

I have a preliminary design worked up for the Dob style or "lazy Susan" mount for it worked up. Just gotta get the materials together.

Driven1

#5564938 - 12/10/12 09:30 PM

Holy *BLEEP*! Just got the craziest idea of how to turn the mount for this LXD55 I've come up with to a GoTo mount fairly easily. Just don't know if the drive will have enough "oomph" to handle it. I think that if everything moves easy enough and is well balanced, it should work. Here's the idea. Take an iOptron Cube mount and mount it inside by its casing to the rocker box. Reverse the polarity of the RA motor. Connect a "drive shaft" from the bottom of the Cube to the bottom bearing surface so that the torsion drives the RA movement.

Next, connect a 1 to 1 link between the DEC drive and the scope.

The iOptron drives are rated by the amount of weight the drive itself can handle when a Telescope is mounted to its dovetail normally. In this scenario, I believe, I would be removing that limitation from the drive because the weight restriction would be mostly eliminated. This might work for any "Lazy Susan" design. Comments?

Startraffic
professor emeritus

#5565967 - 12/11/12 01:39 PM

Driven1,
I cornfoosed, my rings are for the OTA. I took my 10" SNT off the LXD & put it originally on a G11 now it destined for my HGM-200. The Titan's older brother. It works but the EP winds up in some very inconvenient positions for visual & the stock rings allowed the OTA to slide down in the cradle if they were loose enough to turn the OTA. That changed the balance which the motors didn't like. My solution is a set of rotating rings for the OTA using Lazy Susan's from Rockler IIRC. I've made the 6 inner wedges that will connect the inner rings to the OTA. I just have to make sure the inner radius of the wedge matches the outer radius of the OTA. Those wedges will get screwed to the OTA, then to the inner ring. The outer ring will get 8 wedges set at 90* to each other for mounting dovetails. That's the next step. The final step will be making a brake to hold the rings in place. It will add ~4-5# to the OTA. While I'm at that, I've done a focuser change from the stock to a Moonlite & I'm about to send the mirrors out for recoating. All total I'll probably put $14 billion in a $400 OTA LOL. I really like the 10" SNT, fast but fairly flat because of the corrector plate, big but not too long so it'll fit in an 8ft dome, solid construction so it holds columnation well.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Driven1

#5566268 - 12/11/12 04:43 PM

Ah! I see. I'll be doing this to replace the original mount that didn't come with the Scope. Once I get a proper drawing made up, I'll put it up so you can see what I'm up to. WAY easier than trying to describe it.

Driven1

#5566385 - 12/11/12 06:08 PM Attachment (6 downloads)

Here's a sketch that will give an idea of what I'll be building for the LDX 55. It also includes the GoTo idea.

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

#5566411 - 12/11/12 06:28 PM

Hey Startraffic - try Wilcox rings...easy to make and cheap and they work great without messing with drilling holes in your tube etc. Here is a link: https://astronomytechnologytoday.com/pdfs/files/Pages56-57.pdf

Startraffic
professor emeritus

#5567597 - 12/12/12 01:34 PM

Dwight,
I did that with piece of garden hose. That's what convinced me to make a set of rings. I like being able to rotate the OTA in the cradle, but with out having to "muscle" it around, or having the "clamp" "pinching" the OTA. I got the original design concept on a forum somewhere. Close in design to the Antares rings without the 2nd mortgage. I also get the advantage of being able to attach other OTAs' onto the same base plate & connect them together to reduce flexture between them. I've hung a 10" SNT, 6" CR6, & a 90mm Ioptron Guidescope on my G11 for a solar outreach last year. The mount groaned a bit, but once it was balanced it tracked Ok. That's why I'm building the rings, the SNT focuser started out pointing straight up & turning it kept changing the OTA position in the cradle, which messed up the balance, which made the motors overheat & whine, etc. I made a set of the Wilcox rings, but they tended to bind a bit on the scope rings. This year I hope to have the new mounting plate & rings setup for my HGM-200. I don't think that'll be a problem, the HGM is a BEAST! The Titan's older brother, 150Lb+ payload, 100 lb for AP, external encoders built in, Gemini2. If the rings wind being too heavy then I can always mill them down to lighten them. I started really "beefy" (1/2"x3" aluminum bar stock for the wedges & 17" dovetails) with this in mind.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1190

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics