Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: 12" GSO mirror removal and re-mounting new [Re: tag1260]
      #5538804 - 11/25/12 02:10 PM

You can also use a flexible plastic ring cut from a file folder or other flexible plastic sheet. Just attach with double sided tape. There is a picture at the beginning of this thread in the ATM forum:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5538444/page...

JimC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
acochran
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/19/08

Loc: So. CA
Re: 12" GSO mirror removal and re-mounting new [Re: Mirzam]
      #5538975 - 11/25/12 03:35 PM

I am a beginner. so take my advice with a grain of salt: I used tape made from a slippery plastic similar to Teflon. I think the product is called slick tape or slick strips. I bought it online.

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/07/12

Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: 12" GSO mirror removal and re-mounting new [Re: acochran]
      #5546328 - 11/29/12 09:55 PM

OK. Here's where I am. On the mirror mount I cleaned the sticky pads off and replaced them with felt sliders. Then I tied the three mounting plates together, with 30 lb Spiderwire fishing line to keep the sort of aligned. They still can move but are restricted considerably. Also installed some cork pads around the inside of the mirror mount to keep from having mirror to mount contact. I'm going to install two nylon screw "bearings" in the side when my mirrors get back and I can measure the thickness to find their locating.

Speaking of my Mirrors, I talked to Jeff at "Majestic Coatings" today. I can't believe my mirrors arrived Monday and were shipped back out on Wednesday!!!! I"ve heard nothing but good about him and now I can attest to it myself!!!

When it gets here, I have the center mark to install (Catseye). Again, Kudos to another vendor, Jim Fly at Catseye talked to me and explained his opinion on what I needed and didn't treat me like the idiot I felt like. Even after I ordered and changed my mind, he went out of his way to accommodate me.

Anyways, I'll post up a couple of pics as I finish up my project and hope I'm not being a pain but I've never really worked on anything like this. I know I couldn't be doing this without everyone here's input.

Thanks
Tag

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

#5546816 - 11/30/12 08:54 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

here's a picture of what I've done so far. All I need to do is drill and tap the holes for the side "bearings and I'm good to go.

David Castillo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/06

Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca
      #5548279 - 12/01/12 04:26 AM

Before you break out the tap and dye set, try the mirror out in the cell with a star test. I don't think you need need to go that far- the mirror isn't that thin, and I'll bet a star test will confirm it. It's a big hunk of glass, dude!!I don't think you need to follow the lemmings.
----
Dave

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Re: 12" GSO mirror removal and re-mounting new [Re: David Castillo]
      #5548483 - 12/01/12 09:46 AM

Looking again at your mirror cell, you may be fine just using shims of cork or wood at the 90 degree edge positions. Because the rim around the mirror cell periphery only comes up about halfway on the mirror, it may not allow the nylon bolts to be placed at the right position (which is just a little under halfway up). As the previous commenter says, your mirror has enough thickness to get away with a minimalist edge support. Just be sure that the mirror is not pinched in the cell, or so loose as to cause problems with collimation. When you set the telescope up for viewing, raise the scope all the way to zenith and then lower it down to about 10 degrees above horizon. Then raise it to 45 degrees and collimate. This will ensure that the mirror is consistently seated in the cell and is collimated at an average viewing angle.

JimC

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: 12" GSO mirror removal and re-mounting new [Re: Mirzam]
      #5549271 - 12/01/12 07:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
Well, I do already have the cork mounted (In 6 positions as shown in the picture) all around the cell. Do you think I should remove the one at app. 6 o'clock and allow that area to be unsupported?

Thanks again
Tag

Mirzam
Post Laureate

#5549361 - 12/01/12 08:27 PM

Probably won't matter one bit. Just be sure the mirror isn't scrunched tightly into the cell. You want the triangles to float the mirror, which will not work if the sides are held tightly by friction.

JimC

tag1260
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: 12" GSO mirror removal and re-mounting [Re: Mirzam]
      #5555378 - 12/05/12 09:55 AM

Ended up taking out the cork and letting the mirro ride on the rubber mounts from the factory. There just isn't enough room for anything in there. I "may" go ahead and put the screws in at a later time but for now the factory mounting will have to work.

I center marked my mirror with a Catseye from Catseye Collimation. I also got Jim's Catseye Chelshire eyepiece. I don't think I'll use a laser anymore. I also have an Orion Collimating eyepiece but never felt comfortable with it.

Another added addition was an Antares Twist lock Adapter for the eyepiece, getting rid og the set screw type.

Now I can't wait until a clear night (they say tonght!!!!) to try out my newly re-coated mirror and new collimation.

Thanks for listening to me throughout all of this.
Tag

Edited by tag1260 (12/05/12 09:57 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2065

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics