Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Bill Weir
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Cotts]
      #5558593 - 12/07/12 01:22 AM

Quote:

There were no takers (not so much as one inquiry) so I pulled the ad and am thinking of a way to keep it now.

Dave

I'm glad you decided to try and figure out a way to make it work. If you still can't then drag it around to star parties with a for sale sign on it. It will eventually sell.

Me, before my Satrmaster was ready and I learned of the shipping cost it was a bit of a shock but not totally. I then did the math of what it would cost to drive to the far side of Kansas and back and decided it would cost more to do that. Then that's also believing my little rather old truck would live through the trip in February.

I chose the scope carefully believing my decendants will have to deal with finding a buyer. I think twice often thrice before buying anything.

I think people don't want to pack things and ship because then it there is damage the courier will claim it is because of your poor packaging. This is why Peter suggested having the shipper doing the packaging. Shippers will package things for shipping. It might cost you but then it will also be insured because they know they packed it. My Starmaster was package by UPS. That's what Rick said.

Recently I shipped a bunch of my deceased Mother's very fragile things across country to my sister. I paid to have it packed and shipped. Out of a large amount of fragile one of a kind pottery and china only one small piece of one delicate sculpture work was broken. That was amazing but then again I watched then pack it. They took great care because any damage was their dime.

Try and convince the seller to have it packed and shipped as long as you are willing to pay. I wouldn't expect the seller to pay.

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #5558702 - 12/07/12 06:10 AM

Quote:

My current 24" StarStructure was shipped via air from Florida to California and then trucked 100 mi. to me on the coast for $1,000. It was packed very well on a pallet by Mike Zammit of SS. Entire load was 500 lbs. Photo shows two plywood sides removed to expose packing. The 55 lbs. Kennedy primary and cell are in there too. This is an expensive delivery, but not for a $20,000 scope. Any good local shipper (not UPS) an do this for you.

In my younger days, I worked as a truck mechanic and driver for a small LTL trucking company, I know what happens on loading docks, in the back of the truck... forks through the side, 3000 miles of bouncing along on 120psi tires, probably the most wear and tear the scope will see in a life time. A fancy scope on a pallet, I would have my fingers crossed big time.

Jon

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5558826 - 12/07/12 08:31 AM

Having been around loading and shipping docks for several years in my life I can verify that freight is handled in the way that moves the most as fast as possible,NOT gently.

When buying new stuff the manufacturer has knowledge of how to pack and access to proper packing materials that the average person doesn't possess.Nearly everything I have bough new suggests keeping the original box(es) and packing materials in case of a need to return the item for service!
BUt how many people have an extra room just to store all those boxes?

Ny big USED Dobs 0f 8 to 12" have all been bought by driving to the seller's location and those sold later were picked up by the buyer.Shipping would have added a lot of hassle and expense.
Shipping smaller scopes is much easier to find boxes and packing ..

Ian Robinson
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/09

Loc: 33S , 151E
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: BigC]
      #5558868 - 12/07/12 09:06 AM

Quote:

Having been around loading and shipping docks for several years in my life I can verify that freight is handled in the way that moves the most as fast as possible,NOT gently.

When buying new stuff the manufacturer has knowledge of how to pack and access to proper packing materials that the average person doesn't possess.Nearly everything I have bough new suggests keeping the original box(es) and packing materials in case of a need to return the item for service!

Ny big USED Dobs 0f 8 to 12" have all been bought by driving to the seller's location and those sold later were picked up by the buyer.Shipping would have added a lot of hassle and expense.

Why can't people keep their original shipping boxes (just stash them under the house, in the attic or up in the rafters in the garage or other handy place)? That's what I do.

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/06

Loc: Central Coast California
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5559013 - 12/07/12 10:34 AM

Of all the scopes StarStructure has shipped to date, Mike says none were damaged. Since 1996, I've had seven new Starmaster's shipped to me via UPS 1,800 mi. by truck from Kansas and all delivered perfectly. I know of three 24" StarStructure's out here in CA and all were flown out from Florida and then trucked and hour or two to their locales -- two 24" StarStructure's are now operating well in the SF Bay Area and mine in Monterey. Mirror maker Steve Kennedy has his personal 28" StarStructure in Anza, S. Cal. It arrived fine. All 24" scopes arrived perfectly, a statement as to Mike's great packing.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Ian Robinson]
      #5559020 - 12/07/12 10:40 AM

Quote:

Why can't people keep their original shipping boxes (just stash them under the house, in the attic or up in the rafters in the garage or other handy place)? That's what I do.

1) house is on slab--no basement.
2) no attic.
3) no place in the house for even one of the 5 boxes.
(1853 sq.ft.)
4) "Garage" is a car port--no protection from rain.
So, I saved the mirror box (for shipping for recoating), but all the others had to go. I literally would have had to store the boxes in the living room.

Darenwh
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/06

Loc: Covington, GA
      #5559055 - 12/07/12 10:58 AM

Quote:

Because many people do not have enough storage to store large boxes.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5559185 - 12/07/12 12:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Because some people don't live in houses with sheds, attics, lots of closets, etc...They're living in small apartments with limited storage room. Let's see, Lamp or Telescope to see in the dark????? ...or, mount a light bulb on the Dob front cover and put a lampshade on your dob....

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Darenwh]
      #5559210 - 12/07/12 12:19 PM

Quote:

4) "Garage" is a car port--no protection from rain.

Where we lived in Santa Barbara, many carports had large storage cabinets hung along the "back", where a cars "nose" would project under. Even so, there typically wasn't much room to spare in these for large scope-ship boxes.

Quote:

(just stash them under the house, in the attic or up in the rafters in the garage or other handy place)

I did so with the large box my 10" Meade SCT came in- both the "pretty" retail box, and it's outer shipping box- and the inner Styrofoam pieces- all packed within one another. Stayed in my reasonably clean garage for the 10+ years i owned the scope.

The dark-foam liner it had been shipped cradled in, inside the box, i used to store the scope between uses, inside my home in a closet.

When selling it, the buyer came to my home. Didn't want the boxes. Good thing, too, because upon opening them up i found that mice had been using it as a gymnasium, cafeteria, bedroom & nursery, & outhouse.

As a result, i'm pretty picky about the "boxes" i keep.

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5559215 - 12/07/12 12:23 PM

Quote:

...or, mount a light bulb on the Dob front cover and put a lampshade on your dob....

... and see how long before the spousal unit notices you've snuck a new into the menagerie!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Mike B]
      #5559285 - 12/07/12 01:16 PM

Tell her it's a designer lamp.....

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Jeff B]
      #5559561 - 12/07/12 04:23 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Just for some perspective, this is how my 12.5" came:

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: City Kid]
      #5559758 - 12/07/12 06:26 PM

Quote:

Just for some perspective, this is how my 12.5" came:

You mean it took all those boxes to ship that 12.5" long scope on the table back there???? That was some serious packing...

Mike B
Starstruck

Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5559764 - 12/07/12 06:30 PM

Are you kidding? Judging by the door & casing adjacent to it, its a good 15-16" scope. He MUST mean another scope...

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Bill Weir]
      #5564673 - 12/10/12 06:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There were no takers (not so much as one inquiry) so I pulled the ad and am thinking of a way to keep it now.

Dave

I'm glad you decided to try and figure out a way to make it work. If you still can't then drag it around to star parties with a for sale sign on it. It will eventually sell.

.....Bill

Personally, I’d never buy a premium Dob without seeing it first. I’ve seen enough of them in pretty ratty shape at star parties to be skeptical of any description. I remember one Obsession 25 that looked like it had been dragged thru the mud…. still worked fine though. My 20-inch Dob was delivered to my house by the seller who drove 400 miles to do it. He was looking for a smaller scope and was happy to see the thing gone.

I have sold a large hi-end GEM by advertizing it “for pick up at Stellafane” on A’mart. It sold in less than a day and the sale worked out fine. I’ve seen similar adds for meeting at NEAF. I could see a buyer/seller working out something for a major star party (TSP, etc) swap where they would share the scope for their time there.

Astro Sky
Vendor (Astro Sky)

Reged: 05/06/06

Loc: Iowa, Louisiana, USA
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: George N]
      #5564747 - 12/10/12 07:20 PM

Have shipped over two hundred dobs from 8 " to 24", only one minor damage on rocker box very small scratch 10 years ago. One scope take 6 to 8 hours to packing.

Edited by Astro Sky (12/10/12 07:21 PM)

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: Astro Sky]
      #5564925 - 12/10/12 09:21 PM

Quote:

Have shipped over two hundred dobs from 8 " to 24", only one minor damage on rocker box very small scratch 10 years ago. One scope take 6 to 8 hours to packing.

With all of that experience, and being “in the business”, you obviously know *how* to do it correctly. The used Dob owner has no experience packing such delicate instruments and just wants to get rid of a scope with as little fuss as possible!

The used-scope buyer has to not only consider the original builder’s reputation but also how well the seller has maintained the scope, and is not getting the builder’s warrantee.

For those who don’t want to spend a day or 3 driving, you are taking a chance on scope condition, or quality of packing done by someone with no experience doing it. You can also buy new….. for a lot more money in most cases.

Considering the number of ‘pick up only’ ads out there, it seems that that method works, at least for the sellers.

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/06

Loc: Central Coast California
      #5564975 - 12/10/12 09:56 PM

If the scope is being sold via AM, then you can pay attention to the seller's ratings stars and ratings given by buyers.

Quote:

Quote:

With all of that experience, and being “in the business”, you obviously know *how* to do it correctly. The used Dob owner has no experience packing such delicate instruments and just wants to get rid of a scope with as little fuss as possible!

The used-scope buyer has to not only consider the original builder’s reputation but also how well the seller has maintained the scope, and is not getting the builder’s warrantee.

For those who don’t want to spend a day or 3 driving, you are taking a chance on scope condition, or quality of packing done by someone with no experience doing it. You can also buy new….. for a lot more money in most cases.

Considering the number of ‘pick up only’ ads out there, it seems that that method works, at least for the sellers.

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
      #5565030 - 12/10/12 10:32 PM

Heck, you could make another Dob out of the crate it comes in!

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Lincoln, RI
Re: So How Come Nobody Wants to Ship Their DOB? new [Re: bremms]
      #5565989 - 12/11/12 01:49 PM

Another thought. I sent my niece and nephew a 6" dob, from RI to NC a while back. With UPS boxing the item, it cost me over $500 to send it. That ****ed base weighed a ton! And there was no way my family down there could fabricate a new base.

They got it in one piece, and in their words, "It was grand!!"

Ed

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4643

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics