Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
edsplace
sage

Reged: 11/02/11

Re: Another (better!) Jupiter from ASI120MM camera! new [Re: wenjha]
      #5554849 - 12/04/12 11:23 PM

Yes Sam feel free to use that image. I notices that was a CS adapter, but the threads it fits into are a C adapter. So when you get this camera is has fittings for C,CS,1.25" and 2"... That's Brilliant!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wenjha
Vendor

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: SuZhou China
      #5554851 - 12/04/12 11:25 PM Attachment (63 downloads)

here is a test of M42 area at the focal length of 50mm
exposure 100ms gain 100 resized to half

wenjha
Vendor

Re: Another (better!) Jupiter from ASI120MM camera! new [Re: edsplace]
      #5554854 - 12/04/12 11:27 PM

Quote:

Yes Sam feel free to use that image. I notices that was a CS adapter, but the threads it fits into are a C adapter. So when you get this camera is has fittings for C,CS,1.25" and 2"... That's Brilliant!

Thanks Ed
Yes,its a multi function camera

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
      #5554861 - 12/04/12 11:35 PM

Quote:

The camera itself is also designed to fit into a 2" barrel without an adapter.

That joke's on me Ed after my comments to Emil..!

I thought I'd canvassed all the permutations with camera fittings but that simple observation/utilisation escaped me - good one Ed!!!

I used a 2" & 1.6X Antares barlow (nice units) with the Flea3 and although I could employ it as you describe to go from my current 1.25X to about 1.6X, the same reasons I ditched the Antares would still be valid.....I didn't want a heavy barlow on the end of the filter wheel: my Televue lens element is after the EFW in the various configurations I can employ it as but its' weight is negligible.....

And folks might like to know that the ASI120MM is also proving itself a very amazing Deep Sky camera as well - talk about versatility..!

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Re: Another (better!) Jupiter from ASI120MM camera! new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5554863 - 12/04/12 11:38 PM

Even more brillant - thanks for that extra info Sam..!!!

karlo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/21/09

Loc: Yorkshire,UK, BLIGHTY !!
      #5555112 - 12/05/12 04:49 AM

ought to be a great Lunar cam too !- I'm sold

Edited by karlo (12/05/12 04:50 AM)

karlo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/21/09

Loc: Yorkshire,UK, BLIGHTY !!
Re: Another (better!) Jupiter from ASI120MM camera! new [Re: karlo]
      #5555119 - 12/05/12 05:02 AM

don't tell the missus

ZuoZhao
sage

Reged: 10/16/12

#5555149 - 12/05/12 05:53 AM

Quote:

With TIS camera you may have to step down from 60FPS to 30FPS if you choose to increase exposure time while the the ZWO if was only a 15FPS hit. Just another advatage to this camera.

In fact,not exact, ED. 120MM not a 15FPS hit. It respond accurately to exposure time. If it not beyond speed limit. You just need choose the highest speed from menu. And then change exposure time. So you can get speed step by step. For example 20ms(50fps)-21ms(47.6fps)-22ms(45.4fps)-23ms(43.4fps)...

DesertRat
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Re: Another (better!) Jupiter from ASI120MM camera! [Re: ZuoZhao]
      #5555989 - 12/05/12 04:55 PM

Darryl,
You write that the 'plug' or black anodized circular fitting in the ASI120MM is a standard M40 also known as "C" type. The "C" type is 1 inch 32tpi. From Sam's website it shows as a M42x0.75 T2 thread fitting. The older T mount (Praktica type) was a M42x1.

I think it would be possible to have an adapter made, or it may exist already, to adapt a removable 2" barlow nosepiece fitting to that. That would get you close, and if too close you might even add a T2 extension to use at the design magnification.

I've have not considered the effect of working too close to a barlow. It depends on the design of the barlow, but most current designs add a little bit of spherical undercorrection when used far away from design (like 3X for a 2X barlow). You also lose some color correction, which can be negated somewhat by refocussing for each color using a mono camera. Too close would also hurt color correction. A simple negative lens adds overcorrection, but modern barlows are usually 2-4 compound lenses, and a thought experiment is not helping me - best to test - or if you have the energy and time you could model - but manufacturers rarely release their designs!

This brings me to my real question. Does the ASI120MM support hardware (better than software) binning? If it does then one could use a higher power barlow in a more conventional way, imaging with 7.5u pixels at 640x480.

Glenn

edsplace
sage

Re: Another (better!) Jupiter from ASI120MM camera! new [Re: DesertRat]
      #5556166 - 12/05/12 06:40 PM

Glenn,
From what I see yes.

DesertRat
Postmaster

#5556195 - 12/05/12 06:54 PM

Thanks Ed. I see that to, but to be clear I'm asking is the binning done on the chip or is it done at the driver level? Obviously at the application level binning is simply addition, but you are adding the A/D noise 4 times instead of once (also at the driver level - hence I said software).

Glenn

edsplace
sage

#5556288 - 12/05/12 07:46 PM

I have looked on the site of the company who makes the sensor, Aptina, and as I say it looks like it is chip based and not driver. http://www.aptina.com/assets/downloadDocument.do?id=876

Kokatha man
Postmaster

#5556388 - 12/05/12 08:38 PM

A lot of your last question is really beyond my (very limited) knowledge Glenn but I'll try to answer the binning one anyway!!! - and of course the thread is T2 as per the website and your comments.....that bit about "C" type was obviously "brain-fade" (or worse!) but I didn't have any neurons engaged at the very least!

Just for clarification for others reading some of my drivel, this thread (T2) is the common fitting as in on the back of Atik/Orion EFW's etc and a host of other accesories.....

Binning was something I felt wasn't a "most-wanted" feature when we were testing (probably because personally I have never really had a lot of success using this feature in my planetary captures.....although I appreciate others have an opposite opinion) so in my communications with Sam when we were really kick-starting the whole FireCapture compatibility I was more interested in useable framerates apropos resolution ranges.....aspects such as the comments you've canvassed weren't really thoroughly investigated by me personally at the time but in my defence I also seem to recollect that binning was only ever able to be initiated on 1 or 2 of the resolutions. (I think it was the largest)

Also I was pushing Sam very hard to get a good capture program (FireCapture) working - it just did't work back then - and I assisted by also approaching Torsten in the matter - Sam and I had quite a bit of fun at times trying to understand what each was saying.....although I was constantly reminding him that his English was perfect in comparison to my Mandarin!!!

The whole period was very "full on" and the amount of communicating between Sam, me and Torsten (and then Emil when he could start testing) was enormous.....and although I'm sure once the camera is "out there" more with more users Sam will continue to refine and adjust aspects of the system.....having a dedicated AA'er/planetary imager like Sam as a camera developer and builder is a real luxury imho..!

I'm a bit "under the weather" here atm as we've had a power blackout this morning and the temperatures inside the van have gone ballistic - the Power Supply company say it'll be down for hours so we may have to sit in the car with the aircon running soon! )

So what I say should be taken with a grain of salt but from the updates etc and choices we went for that Sam enabled I would take a stab and guess it is actually "driver" initiated.

Sam should come in on this sometime and he's obviously the person to give the facts.....in the meantime I thought (before I melt!) I'd possibly supply more BS..!

wenjha
Vendor

#5556418 - 12/05/12 09:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks Ed. I see that to, but to be clear I'm asking is the binning done on the chip or is it done at the driver level? Obviously at the application level binning is simply addition, but you are adding the A/D noise 4 times instead of once (also at the driver level - hence I said software).

Glenn

Hi Glenn
you are correct,the binning is implemented in software level.
the chip did has a bin function.
but works not nice. So I didn't use it

Kokatha man
Postmaster

#5556993 - 12/06/12 07:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Glenn

Hi Glenn

.....so it's driver-based as I said: hoped that interpretation was correct (and I remember us discussing these matters Sam ).....that'd give me 1 out of 2 comments right at least !

Edited by Kokatha man (12/06/12 07:43 AM)

wenjha
Vendor

#5557062 - 12/06/12 08:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Glenn

Hi Glenn

.....so it's driver-based as I said: hoped that interpretation was correct (and I remember us discussing these matters Sam ).....that'd give me 1 out of 2 comments right at least !

yes Darryl you are right. you really have a good memory I belive that you are only 36

Kokatha man
Postmaster

#5557403 - 12/06/12 12:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Glenn

Hi Glenn

yes Darryl you are right. you really have a good memory I belive that you are only 36

- not likely Sam..!!!

edsplace
sage

#5557511 - 12/06/12 01:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Glenn

Hi Glenn

Sorry to but in on that conversation. I see what I get for assuming I knew something :-0

Kokatha man
Postmaster

#5558159 - 12/06/12 07:44 PM

Ha-ha Ed, after my stupid comment about "C" type and "T2" I can't comment about what anyone else says - and your observations about the various fittings the camera offers opened my eyes about a unit I've had for longer than anyone else outside of China I believe!

DesertRat
Postmaster

#5558187 - 12/06/12 07:58 PM

Don't feel bad Darryl! I've often felt that the T and C and so on designations open to confusion. Much better to state actual dia and thread in my view. I find vernier calipers handy when I'm going thru a box of unmarked adapters!

Glenn

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4329

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics