Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
gonzosc1
sage


Reged: 11/08/12

Loc: South Carolina
need EP opinons
      #5556187 - 12/05/12 06:52 PM

Just now getting stuff together to come back into this hobby. money is really tight as I spend a wad on a new Atlas EQ-G and a used C9.25.

so looking at lower priced ep's for now. may bump it up a little for a deal if I find one.
anyway I was looking at the Russel optic 2" ep's. I can't recall hearing anything bad about them other then the build material.. anyone use these?

also was looking at the high point brand ep's. comments?

The orion expanse maybe?

looking at the wide fields mostly.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tubehead999
scholastic sledgehammer
*****

Reged: 11/25/08

Loc: Kennesaw, GA
Re: need EP opinons new [Re: gonzosc1]
      #5556273 - 12/05/12 07:33 PM

Take a look at these...should be basically the same as the Expanse....

http://agenaastro.com/agena-1-25-ewa-eyepiece-set.html

They should play happy with your SCT. And the price is right.

Bob


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike B
Starstruck
*****

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: need EP opinons new [Re: gonzosc1]
      #5556456 - 12/05/12 09:21 PM

Quote:

I was looking at the Russel optic 2" ep's.



While i haven't used any of his 2-inchers, i *DO* have a set of his 1-1/4 inchers for my BVer. If these are any indication of his EPs in general, they should be very nicely suited to yer longer FR SCT!

Quote:

I can't recall hearing anything bad about them other then the build material.. anyone use these?



The ones i have are 'Delrin' barrels, and rubber eyeguards- seem just fine, nice looking, ergonomic, light-weight. Build-wise, i have no complaints whatsoever! For someone on a lean budget, especially with a "slow" scope, these would be no-brainers.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gonzosc1
sage


Reged: 11/08/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: need EP opinons new [Re: Mike B]
      #5556588 - 12/05/12 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was looking at the Russel optic 2" ep's.



While i haven't used any of his 2-inchers, i *DO* have a set of his 1-1/4 inchers for my BVer. If these are any indication of his EPs in general, they should be very nicely suited to yer longer FR SCT!

Quote:

I can't recall hearing anything bad about them other then the build material.. anyone use these?



The ones i have are 'Delrin' barrels, and rubber eyeguards- seem just fine, nice looking, ergonomic, light-weight. Build-wise, i have no complaints whatsoever! For someone on a lean budget, especially with a "slow" scope, these would be no-brainers.





great. I will check out bothe the 2" and 1 1/4" as I just got an orion BV..


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gonzosc1
sage


Reged: 11/08/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: need EP opinons new [Re: tubehead999]
      #5556600 - 12/05/12 10:44 PM

Quote:

Take a look at these...should be basically the same as the Expanse....

http://agenaastro.com/agena-1-25-ewa-eyepiece-set.html

They should play happy with your SCT. And the price is right.

Bob




Nice,, a store I didn't know about...thanks


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jturie
super member
*****

Reged: 11/19/12

Loc: Valley Forge, PA
Re: need EP opinons new [Re: gonzosc1]
      #5556648 - 12/05/12 11:17 PM

Just ordered the 15mm Vixen NPL from Agena a couple days ago...should come in tomorrow. Very fast service, shipped out same day, and I've heard good things about these EPs. Almost got the Agenas, didn't know if they compared Grabbed a GSO barlow as well and a moon filter. Price was sure right, and should do fine in my F10 SE6 until I work my way up to the TV plossls. Didn't get a set because didn't think I'd ever use the 6mm on my scope, so I really wasn't saving any money.

Next on my list is a low-power EP...say a 32mm. Gonna save up and spring for a top quality one.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike B
Starstruck
*****

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: need EP opinons new [Re: gonzosc1]
      #5556683 - 12/05/12 11:45 PM

Quote:

I will check out bothe the 2" and 1 1/4" as I just got an orion BV..



My 1-1/4" BVer pair are the 15mm Konigs. I see he also has 16mm & 19mm... the latter i've heard highly regarded.

Re: the 15mm's i have- used in a BVer+Dob, which yields a ~F6.6 lightcone entering the EPs, they're nice & sharp on-axis, yet their outfield is a bit mushy... but when i power up to an effective F~9.3 or ~11.2, they sharpen up notably. At the higher Power-X-Switch BVer setting (F~11.2) they are quite sharp! I would expect something similar in an F10 SCT (actually prob'ly F~11-12 with the diagonal+BVer).

Yet the surprise bonus on these 15mm Konigs is their "apparent field of view" (a.k.a. AFoV)... i've measured it at a whopping 75-degrees! I have no idea what his *other* Konig FL's clock in at for AFoV (supposed to be ~65-70*, normally), but the 15mm's i have are quite wide- very easy eye access & relief, too... i wear eyeglasses while viewing, and these work nicely therewith.

Hope you get a chance to try 'em.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gonzosc1
sage


Reged: 11/08/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: need EP opinons new [Re: Mike B]
      #5558235 - 12/06/12 08:39 PM

OK, I pulled the trigger on some russell optics EP's.
got one 2" 20mm wide, and for the BV got 2 1 1/4" 14mm super wide.

so I'm off to the races. that will get me going at least, along with the two 1 1/4" 25mm e-lux that I already have.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike B
Starstruck
*****

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: need EP opinons new [Re: gonzosc1]
      #5559240 - 12/07/12 12:41 PM

Wonderful!

Let us know how they do!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1


Extra information
8 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 477

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics