Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties

Pages: 1
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Astronomy Net on 20 Meters? new
      #5548450 - 12/01/12 09:12 AM

CQ you astronomy hams, and I know there must be plenty of y'all on CN...

Is there still a wide-coverage astronomy net on the air? I know there used to be one on 14.292, but I do not hear them any more...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bob71741
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/16/08

Re: Astronomy Net on 20 Meters? new [Re: rmollise]
      #5548988 - 12/01/12 03:37 PM

was discussed in earlier thread and it looks like it is gone.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5388762/page...

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Astronomy Net on 20 Meters? new [Re: bob71741]
      #5549143 - 12/01/12 05:42 PM

Thanks...

OK...which of you OMs or YLs is an experienced NCS and would like to start a new one? There NEEDS to be an amateur astronomy net on the air!

LoveChina61
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/09

#5549390 - 12/01/12 08:56 PM

I don't know of one on the radio but I enjoy listening to this one HERE via the internet.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Astronomy Net on 20 Meters? new [Re: LoveChina61]
      #5550012 - 12/02/12 09:35 AM

Thanks...but just not the same...

James_826

Reged: 02/09/12

Loc: Beggs, Ok
      #5550179 - 12/02/12 11:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks...

OK...which of you OMs or YLs is an experienced NCS and would like to start a new one? There NEEDS to be an amateur astronomy net on the air!

We just need a time and a frequency.
-KE5SWU

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Astronomy Net on 20 Meters? new [Re: James_826]
      #5551618 - 12/03/12 07:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks...

We just need a time and a frequency.
-KE5SWU

And to get the word out...and a person willing to serve as Net Control...but I suppose it could happen...

caheaton
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5552270 - 12/03/12 03:25 PM

How about 0200 UTC daily on 5.7Ghz?
(Sorry...it's been a slow day...)

Seriously, it seems like the nets start off well and then drop off. I participated for a bit on one based on 2 meters (accessed via Echolink since it was far out of state for me). It was a good net, but after a month or so it seems the moderator abandoned the net. I encouraged him to move it to 40 meters, but he couldn't since he was only licensed as a tech.

I have a feeling that the online forums may be pushing such radio nets into obsolescence.

73, KB8FGC

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Astronomy Net on 20 Meters? new [Re: caheaton]
      #5552406 - 12/03/12 04:58 PM

Quote:

How about 0200 UTC daily on 5.7Ghz?
(Sorry...it's been a slow day...)

Seriously, it seems like the nets start off well and then drop off. I participated for a bit on one based on 2 meters (accessed via Echolink since it was far out of state for me). It was a good net, but after a month or so it seems the moderator abandoned the net. I encouraged him to move it to 40 meters, but he couldn't since he was only licensed as a tech.

I have a feeling that the online forums may be pushing such radio nets into obsolescence.

73, KB8FGC

Nah. Get on 40 and you'll find lots of net activity. It seems to growing, as a matter of fact. The Brothers Net, for example, is on every day I believe, and Nightwatch may be too, to name just two examples.

I don't think it's so much that people lose interest in a Net, it's a different and in some ways better experience than a cotton picking Internet board. More like a non-virtual club meeting. The problem is usually that the one or few folks running the Net just can't do it over the longhaul...

Hope you find lots of friends on 5.7

I would like to see an amateur astronomy net back on. Several of us tried Echolink for a while...but I dunno...Echolink turned out not to be something I liked on a regular basis, and I assume the other folks felt the same.

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
      #5554695 - 12/04/12 09:45 PM

I'm interested, maybe not in being a NCS initially as I don't have the experience, but I'd love to participate in a net that is not just let's-all-check-in-and-we're-done type thing.

One of the first things I did earlier this year when I got on HF was look for an astronomy net and was disappointed (and surprised) I couldn't find one, given the frequent overlap of the two hobbies.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Astronomy Net on 20 Meters? new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #5555235 - 12/05/12 07:54 AM

Well, keep watching this space. If I hear of one or of somebody starting one, I'll post here. I believe 14mhz would be the most practical band, since there are just so many nets on 40.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5555934 - 12/05/12 04:21 PM

Quote:

Well, keep watching this space. If I hear of one or of somebody starting one, I'll post here. I believe 14mhz would be the most practical band, since there are just so many nets on 40.

Yea, but the problem with 20 meters is that the "skip zone" might not allow everyone to check in. I can generally hear both coasts from here in the middle of the country, but not anything inside of about 600 miles from me. Also, 20 meters is one of the most popular bands, so it is hard to squeeze yet another net on that band. On 40 meters, I can hear a lot out to near both coasts, but the foreign broadcasters tend to make it hard to listen in places. In the early 1980's we once had an "Asteroid Intercept Radio Net" on 40 meters late in the afternoon to pass on last minute ground path predictions for asteroid occultation work, but since the Internet, that has kind of gone by the wayside. I suspect one of the Internet chat rooms would have more potential to get people talking than an HF net would. Clear skies to you.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Astronomy Net on 20 Meters? [Re: David Knisely]
      #5557038 - 12/06/12 08:21 AM

Quote:

Yea, but the problem with 20 meters is that the "skip zone" might not allow everyone to check in. I can generally hear both coasts from here in the middle of the country, but not anything inside of about 600 miles from me. Also, 20 meters is one of the most popular bands, so it is hard to squeeze yet another net on that band. On 40 meters, I can hear a lot out to near both coasts, but the foreign broadcasters tend to make it hard to listen in places. In the early 1980's we once had an "Asteroid Intercept Radio Net" on 40 meters late in the afternoon to pass on last minute ground path predictions for asteroid occultation work, but since the Internet, that has kind of gone by the wayside. I suspect one of the Internet chat rooms would have more potential to get people talking than an HF net would. Clear skies to you.

Typing in a chat room is not the same as working someone on the air. Not by a long shot. And there are already a million Internet message boards; all about the same. Well except for the glorious CN, of course.

Twenty meters is really the only game in town for a wide converage net. As you observe, 40 is pretty messy due to international broadcasters. It gets a lot better below 7200, but that area is already filled up with nets, many run on a nightly basis. Below 7175 is really nice, and I really like it...but...there's a lot of DX there that a net would disturb, and that lower part of the fone band is not available to folks who do not have their Extra.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, darklighteditor 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 869

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics