Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Astronomy Magazine DVD Scam new [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5556012 - 12/05/12 05:05 PM

Definitely bad business for a company to bill you for something you didn't order in the first place, and then send fake dun notices afterwards. If the first DVD is indeed a gift as the fine print says, the magazine should've simply said that up front and then given the buyer to order more DVD's if he liked the first one.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: Astronomy Magazine DVD Scam new [Re: turtle86]
      #5557340 - 12/06/12 11:39 AM

Yes that would have definitely been more appropriate.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Astronomy Magazine DVD Scam [Re: cliff mygatt]
      #5557718 - 12/06/12 03:14 PM

The Mega Collection? That is 63 episodes, which comes out to less than a buck and a half an episode, considerably less than what you will pay for the aforementioned DVDs. And you can find single season collections in BestBuy and other places for far less than 90 simoleons...

Now, I have nothing against Astronomy selling these disks. Some folks like to receive things like this via subscription, and they are for sure very nicely packaged. All I am saying is that I, me, Rod did not find them to be an outstanding value. If you like 'em, more power to you.

Nor do I have anything but good to say about Dave Eicher and the rest of the Astronomy crew. They are professionals turning out an excellent, professional product.

Edited by rmollise (12/06/12 03:19 PM)

Dave M
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
Re: Astronomy Magazine DVD Scam new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5594431 - 12/29/12 01:34 PM

Had the same DVD sent to me last year when i had a subscription to Astronomy mag, good grief, i had the same thing recorded on my dvr, not to mention it first aired like back in 2002 or so iirc.
I just sent it back in the white return envelope and havnt
had any problems, ive since changed back to Sky & Telescope.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Astronomy Magazine DVD Scam new [Re: Dave M]
      #5595477 - 12/30/12 02:08 AM

I kept the DVD and am ignoring the notices.Maybe if they lost enough money they would stop this kind of stupid marketing.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Astronomy Magazine DVD Scam new [Re: BigC]
      #5596947 - 12/30/12 09:26 PM

I've beed a subscriber for a few years and never got a DVD.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Astronomy Magazine DVD Scam new [Re: jsiska]
      #5599897 - 01/01/13 04:10 PM

Quote:

I have a Funk & Wagnalls Encyclopedia from the early 1980ís. For years I use to receive the annual yearbooks and the science yearbooks because I enjoyed the light reading. I always promptly paid the invoice for the yearbooks. By the year 2000 I tired of reading the yearbooks and right after receiving the year 2000 yearbooks, I decided to inform Funk & Wagnalls via a formal letter that in the future I no longer want them to send me any more yearbooks. Even though I sent the letter, the following year they sent me a 2001 yearbook. I promptly returned the yearbook to Funk & Wagnalls along with a second letter explaining that a year previous I had already sent them a letter asking them to stop sending me the yearbooks. I even personally paid for the return postage of the book via certified mail to be certain that they received the unwanted book I was sending back. After another 6 months, I began getting statements from Funk & Wagnalls that I still owed them the money for the returned book. After another 6 months, I received a letter from a collection agency advising that if I donít pay for the book legal action will be taken against me. I then sent Funk & Wagnalls copies of the letters that I had previously sent them along with a copy of the U.S. Post office record that the book had been returned to them. I asked them to inform their collection agency that the account is settled. That still didnít stop the letters from the collection agency. After several more threatening letters from the collection agency each getting more intense, I decided enough is enough. I finally took all my records with me to an attorney to assist me so that the collection agency would not hurt my credit. Shortly after that I received a letter of apology from the collection agency but none from Funk & Wagnalls. That was about 10 years ago and I still am bitter over the fact that it took an attorney to settle the situation.

Although a different publisher, Astronomy magazine has been sending unsolicited DVDís for a several years now. There have been few other threads relating to this problem. In all those threads, I havenít read any posts that publisher of Astronomy magazine has resorted to using a collection agency; but these threads certainly remind me of the experience I had with Funk & Wagnalls. I donít subscribe to Astronomy magazine.

This is the worst customer service. They should have had to pay a fine for customer abuse, so they don't do this again! Glad you kept the receipts. Wht I don't sign for monthly things anymore (unless I know total cost in advance).

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2007

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics