Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: Eyepieces new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5566180 - 12/11/12 03:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a 2" eyepiece, I have 2 refractors, Megrez 90 and WO 81, that have a 2" diagonal and can take the 2" eyepiece. I can honestly say I have never used it on either.

I have three refractors that take 2 inch eyepieces, an 80mm F/5 Achromat, a 80mm F/7 apochromat and a 101mm F/5.4 apochromat. Regardless of which one I am using, it's a rare night that I won't use a 2 inch eyepiece and some nights, that essentially all I use.

These scopes excel like no others at low power viewing, this is what they do better than any other design...

Jon

I also own 80 and 101mm refractors and use 2" eyepieces in them every time that I have them at dark sites. A 35mm Panoptic produces a wonderful 4.4 degree true field of view in the 101mm f/5.4 refractor.

Dave Mitsky

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
Re: Eyepieces new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5566345 - 12/11/12 05:33 PM

Great comments, much appreciated! I have more thinking to do, it seems clear!

@Jon - I stand corrected on the ED80: it *IS* a true apo, now that I've read more about it (and understand the definition better, too)

-- Chris

WAVT
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Re: Eyepieces new [Re: CJK]
      #5567603 - 12/12/12 01:39 PM

I really like the Teleview Panoptic 27mm in my ED80. It provides over 3° field of view. The 11mm ES82° is an other great match for the ED80 as is the 6.7mm ES82°

As was said above, that type of scope really shines on wide field views. You should not hesitate to open up the possibilities with a 2" eyepiece. You can get out even wider than what the 27mm Pan will offer. I hear good things about the 30mm ES82° (I haven't tried one). You can really open up the field of view in your scope without worrying about the exit pupil getting too big. For instance, the 41mm Panoptic will have an exit pupil of 5.3mm and provide over 4.5° field of view. (I haven't tried one of these either)

The entire Pleaides cluster is just plain jaw dropping beautiful with a 27mm Pan in my ED80. The amount of framing really puts it in context. The double cluster is another stunning view with that 27mm/ED80 combo. Cruising the southern Milky Way is another summertime favorite. I highly recommend it.

CJK
professor emeritus

Re: Eyepieces new [Re: WAVT]
      #5567817 - 12/12/12 03:16 PM

@Mike - Thanks VERY much for the recommendations -- they're especially helpful since you have the same scope! I hope to get my final choices together in the next day or so and get my order in to Astronomics or OPT or whomever.

FWIW, the scope and mount arrived today, and I just finished setting it up in the living room to make sure nothing was missing and everything works. I must say that I am smitten -- it's absolutely beautiful to look at, and I can't wait to see my daughter's face when she sees it on Christmas morning.

Now to figure out the GoTo system!

-- Chris

CJK
professor emeritus

Re: Eyepieces new [Re: CJK]
      #5570611 - 12/14/12 10:32 AM

Just a quick follow up note: I finally placed my order today (with Astronomics) for three of of Uncle Al's "glass hand grenades" (See, I'm learning the lingo already!)

Thanks one and all for your input and advice! Much appreciated!!!!

-- Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1063

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics