Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5554464 - 12/04/12 07:10 PM

Brandon,

Quote:

I have to admit that I have high hopes that the Brandon is all that (some of you) guys say it is and knocks my (new artic) wool socks off, or at least makes them drop to the ankles. If so, I will be left with no choice than to complete the collection and perhaps sell off my BGO set.

Or not.

Or not. I think the Brandons and BGO's compliment each other. Brandons excel at lunar, Saturn, double stars, open clusters and such. BGO's - especially binoviewed - are great for Jupiter and Mars. That is my opinion based on my experience so far. But that opinion could change with new experience ... which can't happen if I sell either set.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Deep13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/25/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5554543 - 12/04/12 07:55 PM

Do you wear eyeglasses for observing? If you do, the Brandons will not provide enough eye relief except in long lengths.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5554840 - 12/04/12 11:18 PM

Quote:

What scope will you be using?

Mainly, my beloved Carton 100/1300, secondarily my also beloved SPI 60/1200 achro.

It's a love affair, mainly Jesus and my achros (with a nod to my friend Gibby Haynes and Ministry)

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5554852 - 12/04/12 11:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Or not.

Or not. I think the Brandons and BGO's compliment each other. Brandons excel at lunar, Saturn, double stars, open clusters and such. BGO's - especially binoviewed - are great for Jupiter and Mars. That is my opinion based on my experience so far. But that opinion could change with new experience ... which can't happen if I sell either set.

Mike

I'll keep an open mind, er eye. Problem with BGO's and binoview is I have one set.

Speaking of which, anyone vouch for a Vernonscope bino-viewer?

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Deep13]
      #5554859 - 12/04/12 11:34 PM

Quote:

Do you wear eyeglasses for observing? If you do, the Brandons will not provide enough eye relief except in long lengths.

Only reading glasses here, and I only don them when looking at charts, ipad, sketching, etc. I view bare-eyed and can deal with 5mm ortho ER without clipping my eyelashes (and refrain from blinking).

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: Deep13]
      #5555193 - 12/05/12 07:03 AM

Quote:

I can keep my glasses on when viewing through Brandons down to about the 12mm focal length. Even the 8mm and 6mm are more comfortable to me - with my glasses off, of course - than comparable Plossls and Orthos I've used.

Mike

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5557744 - 12/06/12 03:31 PM

The 16mm Brandon arrived yesterday, along with clouds, rain and more clouds forecast all the way out until next Monday night. Per the The Weather Channel app, we may have a few sucker holes in the clouds around 6-7 PM this evening. I have the 60mm SPI sitting by the back door just in case.

First impression is the amazing lightweight, great ER and nice craftsmanship.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5557761 - 12/06/12 03:40 PM

Did you end up getting the flat-top version (no rubber eyecup)?

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: SteveG]
      #5558166 - 12/06/12 07:48 PM

Quote:

Nope, got the eyecup version.

The sucker holes didn't work out this evening, looks like it may be next week before I get to try it out.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: My name is Brandon... [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #5558408 - 12/06/12 10:39 PM

Quote:

The 16mm Brandon arrived yesterday, along with clouds, rain and more clouds forecast all the way out until next Monday night. Per the The Weather Channel app, we may have a few sucker holes in the clouds around 6-7 PM this evening. I have the 60mm SPI sitting by the back door just in case.

First impression is the amazing lightweight, great ER and nice craftsmanship.

Heh! That's just the icing; wait until you look through it!

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5559465 - 12/07/12 03:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope, got the eyecup version.

I suggest trying the 16mm Brandon with and without the eyecup - you can actually unscrew the eyecup assembly. I prefer without the eyecup, it really opens up the view.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5559597 - 12/07/12 04:46 PM

Personally I like the rubber eye cups. The fact that they un-thread is a bonus, too. They help keep the lenses dew free compared to my flat tops.

Regards,

Jim

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5564447 - 12/10/12 04:24 PM

The new equipment curse came on strong and lasted longer than usual, perhaps a portent of how good the eyepiece is. Clear skies are forecast for the next few nights, along with a rather steep temperature drop. Good thing I ordered some awesome wool socks and a nice pair of touch-screen compatible gloves with a fleece lined fold-over mitten set to wear over them!

I'll give the EP a try without the eye guard. I tried it out in the 60mm f/20 during the daytime, and ER was very comfortable with the eye cup on.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5564594 - 12/10/12 05:49 PM

I like the rubber eyecups. They help shield my eyes from ambient glare. And they hug my eyeballs comfy-cozy like eggs in a nest. What's not to like? I put little eyecups on all my flat-top eyepieces.

Mike

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/06

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
      #5564752 - 12/10/12 07:27 PM

Ok guys...I have a pair of 24mm 50th anniversary Brandons and love them! Christmas is just around the corner and my wife, bless her, wants me to let her know what Santa should bring me. I do have a hankering for a pair of 32 Brandons, wanting to get the max fov out of my C8, "with the Brandon clarity and contrast I'm used to getting out of the 24's. Question...are Brandons the way to go here ,,or should I wait for a pair of 24 Pans down the road. Am I going to love these as much and hopefully even more than the 24's? I'm thinking the Brandons, somehow the Brandons are just sooo special and since they will most likely not be produced indefinitely, possibly heirloom ep's.. I would like to hear so thoughts on the subject.
Thanks bc

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: bcuddihee]
      #5564942 - 12/10/12 09:33 PM

The Pans would just duplicate the focal length of your paired Brandon's right? But you have no pair in 32mm . . . seems obvious to me. Go for the Vernonscope pair.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5565461 - 12/11/12 07:05 AM

Quote:

The Pans would just duplicate the focal length of your paired Brandon's right? But you have no pair in 32mm . . . seems obvious to me. Go for the Vernonscope pair.

Not that easy - the 24mm Panoptics have exactly the same TFOV as the 32mm Brandons.

bcuddihee
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/06

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
Re: My name is Brandon... new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5565577 - 12/11/12 09:22 AM

yep... that's the issue, to Brandon or to Pan...same fov, different view.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5565628 - 12/11/12 09:52 AM

Quote:

Clear skies are forecast for the next few nights, along with a rather steep temperature drop.

The clear skies forecast didn't pan out although the temperature drop was right on the money (thanks TWC!). It was still cloudy and windy when I went to bed at midnight, and was partly cloudy when I got up at 6 AM this morning to view the 'New Moon in Old Moon's Arms' and 'Crescent Moon, Waning' AL Lunar Program objectives. Venus just North of the crescent Moon was a very nice sight!

I brought out the 60mm f/20 and got a quick look at Saturn through some thin hazy clouds and a look at Venus and the Moon just over the roof. Official first light with the 16mm Brandon, but the poor viewing conditions didn't allow for any qualitative viewing. Hopefully tonight will be on the mark weather wise and I can get the 100mm Carton out and see what the Brandon EP can do.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#5566616 - 12/11/12 09:35 PM

I've been out all evening viewing with the 16mm Brandon and comparing it vs 16mm UO Konig, 18mm BGO, and barlowed to 8mm vs 18mm BGO barlowed, 9mm BGO, 7mm BGO and RGO. All of these EP's are holding their own, but the slight but subtle nod goes to the Brandon so far. The biggest difference is that the Brandon requires about 1/2" more out-focus than the BGO's.

Sarkikos mentioned earlier that the BGO's were better on Jupiter, and I agree. The BGO had just a tad better contrast but a Baader Moon & Skyglow filter added to the mix evened that up nicely.

On all other objects so far, from double stars, clusters, and everything else I have viewed, I like the view through the Brandon just a little bit better.

I am already wondering if I will end up selling my mint BGO set to help finance the rest of the Brandon set and Dakin barlow. Too early to quite yet make that decision, but I can already feel myself leaning in that direction, lol.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5666

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics