Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Jmel

Reged: 01/24/12

Loc: Eastern North Carolina
Balancing 5se scope on cg5
      #5558412 - 12/06/12 10:42 PM

I posted this tonight on another forum...

I had a brilliant idea.

On the Celestron 5se, there is a 'nameplate' on the back side of the rail, towards the eyepiece end. I found that I could forcefully remove that (it's toast now, wouldn't slide out) and rotate the rail 180 degrees. This put a thicker part that has two 1/4" threaded holes towards the front of the scope.

Now I can find or make some counterweights to screw into said holes, and suddenly.... my scope is in balance! So much for paying 70 dollars for a rail mounted counterweight.

I don't know about the nexstar 6/8se scopes, but I would imagine this may be possible there too.

I'll post some photos later. Now, if I can find some camera thread counterweights for cheap, I'll buy a couple to play with. If not, I'll take a long screw, and put a bunch of washers on it.

Maybe something like this? http://www.adorama.com/RPSCWFP.html

Just don't know if I would need more than 8 oz..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Balancing 5se scope on cg5 new [Re: Jmel]
      #5558999 - 12/07/12 10:27 AM

Most dovetails have 1/4-20 holes in them for installing emergency stops. I have several small weights from ScopeStuff that have the same thread and I frequently just screw a one-pounder into the front hole in order to be able to slide the SCT further back into the saddle and make balancing easier.

Jmel

Reged: 01/24/12

Loc: Eastern North Carolina
Re: Balancing 5se scope on cg5 new [Re: EFT]
      #5559206 - 12/07/12 12:18 PM

Good to know. I think 1 pound will be good. I'm going to try to build something I think, as weights seem very expensive for what you get.

Pages: 1

Extra information
25 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 391

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics