Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
Mickey_C
sage

Reged: 04/27/05

Loc: AZ
Explore Scientific 34mm 68° vs. Panoptic 35mm new
      #5542070 - 11/27/12 12:52 PM

Surely this has been asked a gazillion times - and it must be a question lots of people are asking with the ES 34mm on sale now for only $99.

Does the Explore Scientific 34mm 68° hold a candle to the venerable Panoptic 35mm?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Explore Scientific 34mm 68° vs. Panoptic 35mm new [Re: Mickey_C]
      #5542112 - 11/27/12 01:16 PM

Where is it just $99?

I see $199 from online vendors.

I haven't used the ES 34mm 68 but I did have the JOC-made Meade 34mm SWA and compared it to a 35mm Panoptic in an f/5.1 Dob. The Panoptic was brighter and better corrected at the edge, but has some pincushion distortion just like the JOC unit.

The question is, is it worth $175 more for these differences, assuming that JOC hasn't changed the eyepiece that much.

- Jim

Mickey_C
sage

Reged: 04/27/05

Loc: AZ
Re: Explore Scientific 34mm 68° vs. Panoptic 35mm new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5542154 - 11/27/12 01:38 PM

Quote:

Where is it just $99?

I see $199 from online vendors.

I haven't used the ES 34mm 68 but I did have the JOC-made Meade 34mm SWA and compared it to a 35mm Panoptic in an f/5.1 Dob. The Panoptic was brighter and better corrected at the edge, but has some pincushion distortion just like the JOC unit.

The question is, is it worth $175 more for these differences, assuming that JOC hasn't changed the eyepiece that much.

- Jim

LOL - You are correct, it's $199 for the 34mm.. I missed that. The other ones are $99. I did not know this is the same EP as the Meade SWA.

I'd be using this in a 10" F/6.5 dobson. My largest current EP is a 24mm panoptic. I'm also considering the 82° 30mm ES.

I owned the 35mm Panoptic before, but unfortunately it went on the auction block sometime back when I needed cash. It was quite a match with the dobson.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Explore Scientific 34mm 68° vs. Panoptic 35mm new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5542295 - 11/27/12 03:00 PM

Quote:

- Jim

My 35mm Pan cost $200 used, I bought one for a friend that was $175, both were in good condition.

Jon

cjc
sage

Reged: 10/15/10

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Re: Explore Scientific 34mm 68° vs. Panoptic 35mm new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5542371 - 11/27/12 03:52 PM

Another eyepiece you might consider would be the much lighter Baader Hyperion Aspheric 36mm.

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
Re: Explore Scientific 34mm 68° vs. Panoptic 35mm new [Re: cjc]
      #5542533 - 11/27/12 05:38 PM

I second this suggestion. I own the 31mm version and it excels in my SCT's from 8" to 14"..and it is very lightweight.
I am hoping that someday Baader comes out with a 38-40mm version of the aspheric.

Bill

AhBok
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/02/10

#5543429 - 11/28/12 08:55 AM

First, let me state I am an Explore Scientific eyepiece fan--big time. However, IMO the 34mm ES68 is the weakest eyepiece of the line with my scopes (Z12 and C8) On axis, they both provide great views, but the 35 Pan is much more comfortable to use. Also, the 34 ES picks up eye reflections (light flashes) for some reason, while the 35 Pan does not in my scopes.

Interestingly, the 28mm ES68 is every bit the equal of the 27mm Pan, IMO as is the 24mm and the 20mm (when compared to the 19mm Panoptic.)

If choosing between the 34 ES68 and the 35Pan, however, I would go with the Pan with my scopes. I haven't tried it with a refractor, though, so others experience may differ.

KJL

Reged: 06/07/12

Loc: Boston, MA
Re: Explore Scientific 34mm 68° vs. Panoptic 35mm new [Re: AhBok]
      #5554797 - 12/04/12 10:47 PM

I've compared both of them, albeit briefly, but had these immediate impressions in a C6 SCT. I used a Baader 2"/SCT Clicklock EP clamp and a 2" Stellarvue dielectric diagonal.

1. The 34mm ES68 has a noticeably wider TFOV with the C6 with a clean field stop. The 35mm Panoptic had fuzzy edge and, surprisingly, narrower TFOV. I don't have a 32mm widefield EP but I'm willing to wager the 34mm ES68 attains the maximum TFOV possible on a C6. I'm also willing to bet that there is heavy vignetting going on with the 34mm ES68 -- its field stop must be around 36mm which is much greater than the ~27mm hole at the back of my C6 -- but since it's so gradual and/or uniform I don't notice it all. Frankly it's an awesome choice as a "finder" EP on the C6, if that's all you will use it for (still pretty tight 1.3-degree TFOV though, in my opinion). Edit: BTW the 34mm ES68 has a clean field stop even with the Baader T2 prism diagonal, which has just 34mm of clear aperture. This is great because I find the prism has greater contrast and less scatter compared to the dielectric diagonal, though I sense with less transmission. Overall I see more details with the prism and with the long focal length of the C6 I see no color misbehavior, so prefer it overall.

2. The 35mm Panoptic had noticeably sharper stars off-axis, to the point that I finally can enjoy a wide-field view in my C6. I've always tried to avoid the outer 1/3 of the view with the 34mm ES68, if I'm really looking. Quite the opposite with the 35mm Panoptic.

3. The 34mm ES68 has very noticeably greater eye relief, which is awesome for me since I use it about half the time as a finder EP and I wear thick glasses. The 35mm Panoptic has less ER but enough for glasses: I just have to make sure my glasses are closer to parallel with the eye cup, if I'm being too lazy to move my butt for better positioning.

4. Hand-in-hand with the higher ER, the 34mm ES68 has a more comfortable view for me. For example it is more resistant to kidney-beaning when I roll my eyeball around to take in the view. In fact, it approaches the comfort that I experience with XW eyepieces, which is saying something. In contrast, I find I have to be very careful to center my eye over the 35mm Panoptic to get the sharpest center view, whereas the 34mm ES68 is much more lenient about this. BTW, unlike some others I have no black-out problems with either EP. Seriously, if you have black-out problems with these two, you really have head control issues (bobbing, weaving). Stop blaming the EPs.

5. Despite the lower magnification, 35mm Panoptic has very, very slightly higher contrast and "pop" to stars. It just looks a tad more real. I've never been able to shake the feeling that the 34mm ES68 has a bit of a "blah" view, which I believe is because of a combination of greater scatter and lower contrast (same with the 24mm 1.25" ES68 btw). The 35mm Panoptic just has a slightly more true feel to it, especially when combined with its sharper off-center performance.

6. Both EPs have a slight yellow cast to the view, but the 34mm ES68 -- again like its 1.25" 24mm cousin -- is the more yellow.

7. Both EPs feel like they have another piece of glass over them compared to my 30mm Pentax XW. Of course the contrast is higher due to magnification, but I always get the impression that an extra gush of photons are reaching my eyeball when using XW eyepieces, and the 30mm XW is no exception. Stars just seem to sparkle under their own energy, rather than painted on a canvas. It's a uniquely XW experience! Unfortunately, the 30mm XW actually goes the other way in tint and strikes me as slightly bluish -- for example it seems to magically make fluorescent lights less greenish and more cold LED-ish, if that makes sense. More crucially, the Pentax does not hide the significant field curvature of the C6 (or whatever bugaboos these SCTs have at the edges) so stars get out-of-focus more quickly and severely even 50% of the way to the edge of the view. On the other hand, other than off-center defocusing there is almost no other aberration at all, including lateral color which the other two have. And oh ... that center view! Many nights the Leica ASPH zoom and VIP barlow has stayed in the box while I stare in wonder at Jupiter through the 30mm XW @ ~55x. Who needs high magnifications when there is this much detail?!

I'm not sure if any of this helps. All I know is that for a C6 there's still no perfect wide-field EP!

Edited by KJL (12/04/12 10:59 PM)

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Explore Scientific 34mm 68° vs. Panoptic 35mm new [Re: KJL]
      #5554995 - 12/05/12 02:07 AM

Quote:

My 35mm Pan cost $200 used, I bought one for a friend that was $175, both were in good condition.

Jon

Chances of finding a 35mm Pan at those prices in good condition are pretty slim pickins!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Explore Scientific 34mm 68° vs. Panoptic 35mm new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5555177 - 12/05/12 06:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Jon

Chances of finding a 35mm Pan at those prices in good condition are pretty slim pickins!

That was before the most recent 10% price increase which has affected the prices of used TeleVue eyepieces.

Jon

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5555625 - 12/05/12 12:50 PM

Really?

I just did a search on Astromart as far back as 2007. Most prices range anywhere from $250.00-$350.00 !!! Finding a 35mm Panoptic from $175.00-$200.00 BEFORE the price increase is indeed RARE.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5555642 - 12/05/12 12:59 PM

Great report KJL. I have the Meade 34mm and agree that the afov is a little larger than the advertised 68 deg. I think it's about 71 deg.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5556931 - 12/06/12 06:19 AM

Quote:

Really?

I just did a search on Astromart as far back as 2007. Most prices range anywhere from $250.00-$350.00 !!! Finding a 35mm Panoptic from $175.00-$200.00 BEFORE the price increase is indeed RARE.

No doubt about it. Right now, there is one on Astromart for $225.

That's consistent with a 10% price hike.

jon

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5557274 - 12/06/12 10:54 AM

Quote:

. I'm also considering the 82° 30mm ES.

After comparing my new ES 82° 30, to my 35 Pan; I did sell my 35Pan & keep the ES30. They both were very close in viewing to me; but the wider view of the ES won me over. Trust me, one cannot go wrong with either, as both are excellent eyepieces. One thing to note is the ES30 is very large & heavy!

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
Re: Explore Scientific 34mm 68° vs. Panoptic 35mm new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5557425 - 12/06/12 12:19 PM

I just had first light with my F5 15" with the ES 34mm last night-very tired right now..... It was my first upgrade to a higher performing eyepiece-wow and wow again! Orion nebula-orange-I could not take my eyes of it. Overall increase in clarity and brightness were a huge leap from my Sirius Plossl (32mm)The large FOV was really fun even with the F5 curves at the edge.Festoons on Jupiter at 58x in poor seeing!Color contrast in stars also much improved. Moon had extreme sharpness and definition to crater rims etc.I am in trouble now eyepiece folks-a new acolyte has seem the light of EP's and the difference they can make. Really hooked and soon to be poorer....

KJL

Re: Explore Scientific 34mm 68° vs. Panoptic 35mm [Re: SteveG]
      #5558499 - 12/06/12 11:39 PM

Quote:

Great report KJL. I have the Meade 34mm and agree that the afov is a little larger than the advertised 68 deg. I think it's about 71 deg.

That figures: I thought the 35mm Panoptic's AFOV seemed a bit narrow but attributed it to the obvious vignetting at the edge of the view. I just wish the 34mm ES68 maintained tighter off-center starpoints, or that the 35mm Pan didn't fuzz-out at the field stop. I could almost forgive both for the slight veiling compared to the 30mm XW, if they didn't suffer from their respective boo-boos.

Last night I tried out the cutie-pie Stellarvue SV50A 50mm APO refractor. In that scope the 24mm ES68 also suffered from similar edge aberrations to the 34mm ES68, in contrast with the relative sharp off-center view of a Vixen 8-24mm zoom and a Celestron Ultima 35mm. I wonder, based on this totally non-statistically significant sample set, whether this so-so edge performance is just par for course for that line.

If the 35mm Pan didn't vignette so obviously in my C6, I'd swap it for the 34mm ES68. Ah well, we're spoiled for riches with any of these choices, aren't we?

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Explore Scientific 34mm 68° vs. Panoptic 35mm new [Re: KJL]
      #5558700 - 12/07/12 05:59 AM

Quote:

That figures: I thought the 35mm Panoptic's AFOV seemed a bit narrow but attributed it to the obvious vignetting at the edge of the view. I just wish the 34mm ES68 maintained tighter off-center starpoints, or that the 35mm Pan didn't fuzz-out at the field stop

Is this the eyepiece or the scope? I find the 35mm Panoptic to provide sharp stars to the edge and a clean field stop even in a relatively fast scope (F/5-F/6) if the scope itself is free from off-axis aberrations and vignetting.

Jon

KJL

#5558732 - 12/07/12 07:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That figures: I thought the 35mm Panoptic's AFOV seemed a bit narrow but attributed it to the obvious vignetting at the edge of the view. I just wish the 34mm ES68 maintained tighter off-center starpoints, or that the 35mm Pan didn't fuzz-out at the field stop

Is this the eyepiece or the scope? I find the 35mm Panoptic to provide sharp stars to the edge and a clean field stop even in a relatively fast scope (F/5-F/6) if the scope itself is free from off-axis aberrations and vignetting.

Sorry I should have reiterated that this was with a C6. The 35mm Pan's field stop is just large enough for vignetting to be obvious, whereas the 34mm ES68 has a clean stop in that scope.

Pages: 1

Extra information
29 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2381

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics