Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
P-Dub

Reged: 12/30/11

CGEM at lower latitudes?
      #5558619 - 12/07/12 02:03 AM

My wife and I have just been stationed in Guam. I have a CGEM and the lower limit of the mounts Lat adjustment is 15 deg. Guam is located @ approximately 13.45. I want to still be able to use the mount for astrophotography but we all can see the problem . Any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: CGEM at lower latitudes? new [Re: P-Dub]
      #5558625 - 12/07/12 02:22 AM

Adjust the legs on the tripod to align the mount to the latitudes below 15º. Just be careful of tipping of the mount.

Stan

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: CGEM at lower latitudes? new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5558892 - 12/07/12 09:26 AM

put a brick under one leg of the tripod.

since I live at 1.22 degrees latitude, the brick trick didn't work for me, so -

The above solution was nice, but the solid CNC machined wedge is quite heavy and it wasn't cheap to have made. So for my other mount I had a different wedge fabricated which is made from four aluminum plates bolted together.

Much lighter, and it doesn't seem to be weaker.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5558980 - 12/07/12 10:21 AM

I agree, get a wedge madde before you go. A couple of hundred for a wedge to use your CGEM is worth it.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: CGEM at lower latitudes? new [Re: Raginar]
      #5559097 - 12/07/12 11:18 AM

If you're interested in my wedge design, I can send it.

P-Dub

Re: CGEM at lower latitudes? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5559893 - 12/07/12 08:04 PM

@orlyandico, Would love it. We are actually here already so I have to get one or make one myself. I'll shoot you a PM. Thanks for the input and suggestions all.

zinsco1

Reged: 12/27/09

#5560767 - 12/08/12 11:50 AM

Greeting and welcome to Guam, since polaris is not in view here. Drift align is the way to happiness. On my cgem i have the longer counter weight bar. And micrometered the marks on the lat scale and simply scibed a couple of additional( since the lat adjustment does run by the 15 degree mark this got me about 14 to 13.9 or so and i was in businness.Then i use a compass to set north Litte advice make sure your equipment is moble and able to get under cover quickly as the rains here do come rather unexpextly. otherwise the viewing here is pretty good Nice dark skies particulary on the north end of the island. zinsco1

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: CGEM at lower latitudes? new [Re: zinsco1]
      #5560775 - 12/08/12 11:55 AM

err.. why not use the ASPA?

i just started using the ASPA on my CGEM here in Singapore. it works great, actually. Better alignment than I ever did with drift alignment.

P-Dub

#5561542 - 12/08/12 09:31 PM

Thanks zinsco1. Do you astrophoto here? Would love to hook up sometime. Unfortunately it looks as though we are going to be stuck south in Santa Rita, just up the hill from Big Navy, and since I plan on doing astrophoto hope it gets dark enough. Good tip on the weather. I do believe that ASPA should work, yes? Just hope that it'll all align and track well enough for photos.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

#5561585 - 12/08/12 10:09 PM

if you're using the CGEM unguided, the massive periodic error will make your life miserable. Still with 30-60 second exposures at most.

if you have access to an autoguider, much better... the PEC routine can cut the PE in half, allowing you to double your unguided exposures.

but really, at a really dark site, 60-second subs will show plenty, just use lots of them.

P-Dub

#5562760 - 12/09/12 04:45 PM

I guide so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Thanks for the heads up.

zinsco1

Reged: 12/27/09

#5564277 - 12/10/12 02:24 PM

Hey P-DUB yea i attempted a foray into astrophoto, thats how i got the lesson on the weather i had eyes on the laptop and equipmnt didnt notice the big nasty cloud and bamn torential downpour scambled to save equipmennt but lost my ccd / guide camera and the laptop. saved mount annd main scope. With regards to ASPA or drift align whichever you can set up faster as the power grid here is less than stellar and does drop off unexpectedly, Running a/c adapters is the only way to power all the equipment. A/C to D/C connverters nnot readily availible here and cost a small fortune to ship if they will ship. And make sure all your A/C stuff is GFI connected either by cord or outlet. Send me a PM and we can connect, i live in a great area for dark skies and have really nice nirghbors who turh off their yard lights when i have my gear set up. zinsco1

Pages: 1

Extra information
32 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 802

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics