Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Jupiter 12-06-2012
      #5558691 - 12/07/12 05:49 AM Attachment (35 downloads)

Last night wasn't the greatest, but I had a chance to observe for a little bit with my AT72ED and binoviewer. There are a few subtle changes in this sketch from my previous ones. First, the can of tuna stayed in the kitchen pantry. Instead, I used an oblate template I made from a scrap piece of Lexan, not quite 7%, but it will do. Another subtle change are the colors. They're there, just extremely light, as I saw them through my small refractor. The overall light areas are off white, and there is a very subtle limb shading. The North Polar Region came out a bit too yellow, as well as the NEB turning out a bit too ruddy and pronounced. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.

My planetary observing has improved since I started last year. I find that I'm observing subtle colors I didn't see before, as well as observing many details and features, although too often I haven't a clue what I'm looking at. Hey, I'm slowly learning, like my recent 'discovery' of the Oval BA.

Ed D

EDIT: On the sketch I noted Celestron Plossls. They are actually Astro-Tech plossls. The difference is the AT 15mm Plossls have a field stop, which, according to reviews I read, the Celestron 15mm Plossls do not.

Edited by Ed D (12/07/12 08:38 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jef De Wit
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/06/09

Loc: Hove, Belgium
Re: Jupiter 12-06-2012 new [Re: Ed D]
      #5558696 - 12/07/12 05:52 AM

Fine sketch! That's how Jupiter looks in my 8 cm too. Great work on the subtle colors.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter 12-06-2012 new [Re: Jef De Wit]
      #5558706 - 12/07/12 06:26 AM

Ed, well done on the colors, the hues do resemble Jupiter (despite the changes you noted.) I am glad you're recognizing them, they make Jupiter that much nicer. With so many colors to choose from, finding the perfect match is quite difficult.

You captured their subtle differences pretty well. Once you begin to recognize their distinct hues, it becomes difficult not to sketch them a little more saturated than they really are. I believe this is because they do stand out on the planet (and in our memory) quite distinctly from one another and that gives them a more bold appearance. So, we portray it that way.

Often, I see the NPR as more brown than the grayish SPR. Sometimes the NPR actually turns blue, but I'm sure that's my eyes playing tricks. Ever notice that?

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: Jupiter 12-06-2012 new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5558834 - 12/07/12 08:37 AM

Jef, thanks. Recently I have noticed that my observing skills have reached a higher level and I'm observing much finer detail and color, not only in planets, but also DSOs. I believe that planetary observing over the past year and a half is what has refined my observing eyes.

Norme, I saw the NPR as somewhat yellowish-tan. I think I have seen it as a bit more brown in my Dob, but I was using the small refractor last night. Although the SPR was predominantly light grey, I actually saw a very subtle tinge of blue in it, which I managed to get right in the sketch.

Ed D

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
      #5558947 - 12/07/12 10:01 AM

Ed, this is pretty exciting for me. I also grabbed the 72ED for an observing session last night. I believe you and I are discovering our observing skills at a similar pace. I read through your report, nodding to myself every few sentences. Of course, I lacked the BV. Still working on convincing the better half that I need one.

At any rate, excellent sketch with a wealth of coloration. I was seeing the same hues in the NPR, although you outdid me with the SPR. I still can't catch much down there. Nice work.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Jupiter 12-06-2012 new [Re: Chopin]
      #5558964 - 12/07/12 10:11 AM

Ed,

That is a very fine, crisp sketch of the king.

Frank

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5559622 - 12/07/12 05:11 PM

Ed,

Nice sketch of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Jupiter 12-06-2012 new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5561014 - 12/08/12 02:54 PM

Ed,

Nice work. You rendered some subtle detail. It was good to read your report and see that you recognise that your observing (and sketching) skills have improved with practice and application. I think that has been true for all of us. Anyone reading this who is comtemplating taking the plunge into sketching can look forward to the same.

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 559

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics